PDA

View Full Version : My Story

Yankee802
10-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Well, I just wanted to fully introduce myself and my Prevost story.

First, a little history about my wife and I. Basicly we were both on active duty in the Navy and met in Iceland. Following that I left active duty after 10 years and we married in Jacksonville Florida. The following five years I was a reservist, was a network administrator for the Navy, we bought our condo and my elderly mother moved in with us. Five years later we (wife, I and my mother) got transfered to Norfolk Virginia, where we moved into an apartment. A year later I'm still unemployed, I got orders to Kuwait, and my mothers alzheimers required more care than we could provide, Because the Navy didn't care about my situation, I left service after 16 years, and my mother went into a home. We then started looking for a way to save money and cover our expenses and it led to our search for an RV.

I had always been facinated with those bus converted motor homes, and my research informed me this was the way to go. Being I've owned a varity of vehicles in my time leading up to my current BMWs, I learned quality comes with a price. I learned that Prevost was the top of the heap, so concentrated my search there. We narrowed our search down to 3, 2 Prevosts and an interesting Eagle. My wife and I took a road trip to to Georgia to see these 3 and we never did see the other two busses. :)

The current (and 2nd) owner, an amazing guy, Steve Poole, was VERY accommodating. He had told me how he came to own this bus and why he's selling it. He and his family were taking their previous bus on a vacation and they didn't get 6 miles when at a stop light they got rear ended by a semi going 60mph. They all got out and continued on their vacation, minus one bus. Steve replaced that one with this, and his wife refused to vacation in it. I would have thought that experience would have made her more comfortable in a bus, but his loss was my gain. What surprised me and probably made the sale, was Steve volenteered to have us stay the weekend in the bus! Steve is a silent partner in an RV service center, so he had the service manager answer all my newbie questions, and Dave was very helpfull, so I was confident in making my purchase. When I picked up the bus, Steve spent half the day showing me how to drive! (yes, this was the first time I drove anything this big) I then drove down to Jacksonville to register it, then to Virginia Beach to it's new home.

So we took our new home to Ocean Pines RV park at NAS Oceana, expecting to go between there and Sea Mist at DamNeck Annex every 60 days, but the rule had been changed from when I did my research to when we arrived, nice. Due to complaints of the retired military not being able to get reservations due to the active duty fulltimers, they terminated the ability to stay 60 days at one, then the other. You now can only do 60 days at either, then you must leave for 2 weeks. This lead me to the KOA and my current job that enables us to stay for cheap and not have to worry about leaving. Good thing being my wife is currently on cruise.

Ok, pretty long story. I'll end by posting the information from the add I found on the wonderfull Prevost.

1984 Prevost LeMirage XL Coach
$114,700.00
Engine Mileage: 110000
Transmission Mileage: 110000
- Motor Home / Private Coach

Coach is located in Georgia 1984 Prevost Marathon Coach. This 40' WIDE BODY was Converted from a new shell by Marathon Coach. Equipped with a low mileage detroit 8V92T diesel engine with a NEW exhaust muffler, 5 speed allison automatic transmission, Prevost over the road bus air as well as 3 cruise airs, REBUILT webasto heat, electric toe kick heaters, corian countertops, rope lighting with ceiling mirrors in front salon and bedroom, trash compactor, refrigerator with separate ice maker, four burner thermador electric range, NEW microwave oven, dinette booth, UPDATED stereo system with cd, gps navigation with touch screen and blue tooth phone, NEW lcd 1080 dpi flat screen tv with a 1000 watt surround sound 5 disc dvd player in main salon, sony tv with dvd player in the bedroom, UPDATED draperies with real silk curtains and custom fitted bedspread. Cruise control, backup monitor, towing pkg. with wiring harness, 12.5 kw Universal diesel generator with NEW radiator, RECENT 4D batteries and inverter, 8 NEW michelin tires mounted on alcoa wheels, large private bath and shower, rare side aisle floorplan with rich Koa wood cabinetry through out the coach. Professionally maintained by a Prevost factory trained service center. 250 fuel, 125 fresh, 100 grey, 80 black.

I would love to post pictures, but don't see a "gallery" area. This would be a nice addtion to the site, I would love to see other's pride and joy.

Geoff

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Geoff, you can post pictures right here on the thread. Resize them so no dimension exceeds 600 and they will load right up.

Yankee802
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM

Yankee802
10-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Quick Wabasto question. Is it a closed system, or does it require me to monitor/maintain a fluid level? If so, what do I fill it with, water or some antifreeze? I put this question here because in the bedroom closet behind what looks like a picture frame is some kind of fill tank for something, I assume Wabasto?

aggies09
10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Geoff,

Welcome to the group. I am also a newbie to the RV/Prevost experience and am loving it. I cannot say enough about the wonderful group of people who belong to this site. They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Don't be bashful about asking questions. Someone will respond timely and give their best opinion in attempt to help. Welcome and I hope to meet you in our travels somewhere down the road.

garyde
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Geoff. Great Post. Nice Bus. Looks like you've found a well maintained Prevost. There is a wealth oof info here so feel free to ask anything, hopefully there will be someone with a answear. If not, I'm sure Jon will pipe in. Just kidding. My webasto is a paart of the engine cooling system. Lots of gate valves. If I turn on the webasto it heats the engine, water heater, and all the heater coils.

Yankee802
10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Geoff. Great Post. Nice Bus. Looks like you've found a well maintained Prevost. There is a wealth oof info here so feel free to ask anything, hopefully there will be someone with a answear. If not, I'm sure Jon will pipe in. Just kidding. My webasto is a paart of the engine cooling system. Lots of gate valves. If I turn on the webasto it heats the engine, water heater, and all the heater coils.

Gary, I know what it does, I just didn't know if it was a closed system or if I need to monitor a water or antifreeze level or something. It heats things up by burning diesel and heating a liquid that circulates around to warm the engine, fresh water for heat and coach heat. So if it's water, I need to make sure it has the correct level and worry about possible freezing durring the winter, right?

PS, as I re-read my post, it could be interpreted to be a smart ass reply, there is no attitude meant, I sincerly appreciate your input and help! :)

dalej
10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Geoff, the wabasto system is tied into the cooling system for the bus. You can just check the anti-freeze level in the back of the bus. That little door to the left and above the left engine door. On mine the level is about 1/3 full for the reservoir.

Coloradobus
10-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Goefff,

If you need further technical support, Marathon offers 24 hours tech support to all Marathon owners. Just call 1-800-234-9991 after hours and someone will get a tech in touch with you.:o