PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives

Sid Tuls
10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I would like to know if any of you are adding any additive to your deisel when fueling up?? I'm on my way thru Tulsa,OK and fueling up @ Love's and a trucker highly advised that I use it every other fill up. Sure would like your input!!

dalej
10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
I have been using this product for the past 9 years in our bus. http://www.fppf.com/agrifueltreat.asp I use Fuel Power in all my gas engines.

tdelorme
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Sid, you have just opened a can of worms. The answers will usually run about 50/50 for and against.

What does Detroit Diesel say about additives?

Before Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel came along I never added anything to my fuel. For the last year or so, I have started putting about 50 gallons of high sulphur off road diesel in the tank every other time I fill up. If I did not have access to off road diesel, I would use something like Dale recommended.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Ted is that the RED fuel You are using? A friend that works at Amoco in Whiting tells me that the only difference between the on and off road is the dye so they can make sure truckers do not use the lesser taxed fuels that are for the farmers.

In short it is ALL ultra low sulfur now.

This is second hand info Maybe someone could verify what I have been told.

Sid if I were not in a Northern climate the ONLY time I would bother would be to add a Gal of lucas, or any type treatment to a full tank when I changed oil and would not use it any more frequently

Ted is correct the suggestions and habits will cover the gamut.

If very very cold for a prolonged period of time I will blend #1 with #2 diesel, at least 10% kero and up to 50% kero depending on extremes.

I use kero instead of additives cause at least you can get some MPG for your money that way.

tdelorme
10-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Well, Joe, I will check with my fuel distributor this morning and see. I believe the sulphur content is higher and I sure could be wrong. I almost hope I am so I can quit worrying about the road tax police and start worrying about engine damage. We're gonna worry about something, right?
I know off road used to contain more sulphur, but come to think of it, my tractor doesn't smoke like it used to so it may be low or ultra low.

Tell us the truth, Joe, what are you using as a fuel additive?

Jon Wehrenberg
10-20-2008, 06:58 AM
I've run in temps as low as minus 26, and have driven on days when it never got above minus 20. During those times I have passed thousands of disabled trucks whose fuel gelled.

I have never used any additive. Ever.

Maybe someone who does use additives can explain exactly what they do and why they are required. Talk slow. I am not a fast learner.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Jon your experience gives us great confidence as we have discussed before and that fact is probably due in fact to the engine is at the rear and the tanks are all inboard.

However even with this great wisdom we draw from others experiences I sill think I will treat fuel when it starts to linger around 0 and is going to be that way for a while.

Ted I use #1fuel period for the cold and try to add lucas when servicing.

truk4u
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Joe is correct, the only difference in the red off road fuel is the dye used to catch violators and fine as much as $10,000.00. My argument would be the off road fuel purchased is for the generator, but that wouldn't fly. If you had a separate tank like the reefers do, you could probably get away with it, but for the difference in cost per gallon, it's not worth it.

Back in the old days, we put 2 cans (12 oz) of Dry Gas in each tank and that kept the fuel from gellin. I don't even remember what Dry Gas was made of, but don't see it anymore.

tdelorme
10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Joe you are correct, red diesel and pump diesel are now the same cetane rating. Been that way for the last two years in Texas. My fuel guy says they aren't adding any additive to their trucks and none of the big farmers around here are as far as he knows.
Looks like nobody is going to admit using ATF as an additive but a lot of people do.

dalej
10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
This is why I use the product that I do

Totally disperses water.
Removes gum and varnish.
Creates hydrogen polar bonding.
Acts as a corrosion inhibitor.
Cleans entire fuel injector system.
Acts as a fuel stabilizer.
Increases combustion for greater efficiency.
Controls bacteria growth.
Controls waxing and gelling.
Lubricates entire fuel system.
Contains No Alcohols!
Prevents formation of acids.
Prevents icing in fuel.
Greater efficiency means more power and increased fuel economy.

My fuel can sit around a long time, during hot summers and cold winters. I just like adding an additive to prevent problems.

tdelorme
10-20-2008, 02:09 PM
"Creates hydrogen polar bonding."

Well there you go, I lay awake at night worring about that. Thanks, Dale.:confused:

sawdust_128
10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Typically, dry gas is anhydrous alcohol or desiccated alcohol. Basically the purest alcohol can be distilled is 95.6% the remainder is water. By various methods, the natural alcohol can be dried. Many methods leave impurities (e.g., benzene as one example) and as such, the alcohol in pure form becomes de-natured (i.e., not fit for consumption) even after triple distillation.
<O:p
However, adding anhydrous alcohol to your fuel, will dry your fuel by absorbing water and dispersing it along with the alcohol where it can be combusted<O:p.

And officer, that is exactly why there are 225 gallons of mountain jack under the floor boards in the bed of my truck.

Sid Tuls
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the replys. On the road and loving the price of fuel dropping everyday.Safe travels to all !!