PDA

View Full Version : Michelin® X One® Features & Benefits

10-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I am having a pair of 365 tires and wheels installed at Prevost Jacksonville next week on my tag axles. I will then have 365's on the steer and tag and 315's on the drive. The folks at Prevost are starting to install the Michelin X One on commercial buses and finding that they work out very well. I am considering them for the drives.

Below are 3 links to the Michelin website that show a really compelling videos on how the tires are preforming during blow outs while on a Prevost Bus at 55 mph. The one interesting comment was that with X One tire (14" rim 17.5" tread) that when a drive blow out occurs, lets say the inside drive, the inside tire has a tendency to push the outside tire off the rim in a blowout and with the X One the tire stays on the rim. My only big concern is that weight limits of the X One verses 2 315's. Love some feedback on this, and any experience that members have regarding the X One.

Michelin® X One® Features & Benefits:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/xone/xOne-features-and-benefits.jsp

Rapid Air Loss, Coach:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/toolbox/videos-demos.jsp#xonetires

Michelin® X One® Weight Savings:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/xone/xOne-weight-savings.jsp

jimshoen
10-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Has anyone experienced a blow out or rapid air pressure loss while driving their Coach?
Bruce, thanks for the links to the Michelin viideos.

10-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Jim,

I was somewhat surprised by the video of the controlled blowouts, and how well the bus and the tanker handled, even when it was the steer or even both X Ones on the trailer, very interesting stuff. The camera in the cab also offered some useful instruction. I noticed that the driver did steer away from the blown tire in the initial moments, but he seemed to relax and steer almost normally at 55 MPH.

Michelin also made a big deal out of the worst case scenario situations, always stating that blowouts on the right side while turning left are potentially more dangerous than straight line events.

When the Prevost H fully loaded at 48K was tested by using C4 to blow out both right side drive tires at 55 it handled nicely through the turn with moderate lean to the right, the outside tire did start to come away from the rim and started to do some damage to the fender wall and lining. When they tested the X One under the same conditions I did feel that the bus leaned a bit more to the right and was lower on the back tag, but there was no separation of the tire from the rim, and no damage to the bus.

Lets convince JDUB to allow us to attach some of that C4 that Michelin used in its blowout test to His coach this Feb at the Titusville rally and I will video tape the whole thing for all POGERS to watch.

merle&louise
10-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Has anyone experienced a blow out or rapid air pressure loss while driving their Coach?
Bruce, thanks for the links to the Michelin viideos.

Jim,

A few years back I had a blow out on my driver's side front tire @ 65 mph while on cruise control. It was a non event; the coach tracked straight, I instinctively applied the brakes (which is the WRONG thing to do), and pulled over onto the shoulder. Santa Fe Skies RV resort (we had reservations there that night) called a road service for us. They removed the old tire and installed a new one (11R24.5) and we were on our way in less than 2 hours. I had checked my tire pressure that morning and all were at proper air pressures. You never know when a blow out will occur: you can pick up a nail or any road debris can cut the tire and you will never know it until it is too late.

I think that driving slow (about 60-65) is the best way to avoid a serious accident. I have also recently installed a SmartTire system on my coach. It alerts the driver whenever a tire loses air pressure below a certain pre-set presssure. An audible alarm and a red light alarm goes off when air pressure is lost giving the driver time to stop (or slow down) before the tire blows.:eek:

Just my .02!:D

lewpopp
10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Bruce,

You are changing tires more often than the POG member change their underwear. Gee, I hope I didn't spell something different than Joe knows.

10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Cheaper than changing wives. They don't talk back , eat much or snore.

lewpopp
10-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Bruce.....I said underwear. If your underwear is eating or talking, we'd better stay away from you. Although, JDUB might come knocking at your door.