PDA

View Full Version : New Satellite Dish?

rfoster
06-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok: I really murdered the dish this time - The Trac-Vision is sorta like R2D2 but neutered, it dont know Jack- therefore it is time for a replacement- What to do? Any recommendations what to buy now? Anyone got a handle on the latest and greatest?:confused:
Roger that!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Forget the KVH. Order and install a Tracstar.

Trust me on this one. I'll help if you want. Unless your current receiver is bad you can use it. Only the coax to the roof which you have is required.

MangoMike
06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Jon,

I'm probably in the same boat. Where did you purchase? And is this a correct price $2,295 from http://www.satellitesinmotion.com/tracstarsv360.htm.

Have you found it keeps a signal going under a overpass?

Do your receive the LewVision Channel?

Thanks
Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Mike,

That is the one. I struggled with the KVH, got zero help from their techs (advice, but wrong) and after checking I found Liberty and entertainers who cannot have an on-road failure stopped using KVH and went with Tracstar.

You can use your existing coax, you will only need to secure the feet for the new dish on the roof right over where the KVH was. So basically you have a few screws and one cable hookup and the outside part is done.

They have two boxes that you velcro where your current receiver is, run a few inside wires between the three boxes and you are in business.

It goes out under bridges just like the other one.

It is so simple that it literally takes about 30 minutes.

KVH can't help Roger because he keeps smashing his into the garage.

MangoMike
06-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Jon,

Does Fast Rogers KVH look like this?

http://webplaza.pt.lu/flener/Poteau_Firefly-Turret.jpg

Has Mike Kerley any comments on Tracstar?

MM

Jon Wehrenberg
06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah, that's Roger's. It looked really good before he started beating on it.

If it was me, I would take down the garage but the satellite would still look like new. He is also having trouble with the regular antenna, and I think all of his problems relate to the little aluminum cap he wears to keep out the voices.

Just Plain Jeff
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
I know what Roger is thinking:

http://www.silentmouth.com/images/blog/TinFoilHat_MIT.jpg

Give JEFF the M-3
Give JEFF the M-3
Give JEFF the M-3...

rfoster
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Cute guys - real cute Go play in the street or under your bus.

Mango - I called the place you plugged in your post on the trac vision 360 - 2295 Lew bucks delivered. I asked if they would put them on Sale and I will call back tommorrow- they really didn't see the humor there nor did I get a price reduction. but I will try again tommorrow. I was always told persistence pays off?

In addition I confirmed this with the all knowing anal award winning always helpful too hot to be outside Jon,-- this is the way to go. He has got one and it works good.
My KvH was a crap deal anyway never did work good in motion or stationary.

Were is Winchester- I can't believe he hasn't took a shot?
Roger Th th th th th th that!

MangoMike
06-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Fast Roger,

You putting that M3 on sale tomorrow?

If you think you can get a better deal on ordering 2 I'll join you. Let me know by email mike@mangomikes.com.

MM

Just Plain Jeff
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
I just checked here (I am at a friend's RV place in the frozen tundra in Maine) and they offer a Winegard low-profile in-place dish for 1162 Lew Bucks, his cost is 865, just to give you an idea of what's up on markup.

NOW do I get the M-3?

mike kerley
06-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Against the current!

I have a KVH L3 and I like it. I have had some trouble, but the factory has been very good about sending cards as needed. My problems seemed to come from the power source I was using. When I purchased the coach, I had a new L3 (in motion) installed instead of moving the Datron low profile (flat) dish we had on the SOB. It worked off of a 12V source in the rear compartment and within two months the power supply board quit working. They sent a new one and I installed it and put in a 120V-12V converter. That worked for several months then the converter failed and took out the power supply again. Another card and a new converter with better filtering and its has worked great for about a year now. My wife would not travel without it.

The new KVH in motion unit has a control box with it that allows you to manually or automatically shift satellites for HD reception. The primary Direct TV bird only has a couple of HD channels on it so to "get it all" in HD, you need to reaim the dish to other birds. This gets complicated when you have more than one receiver as they may request different signals. You may see two dishes on coaches in the future. One for the front receiver and one for the rear or outside unit. With low profile, no big deal.

I would ask for two coax cables from whatever dish you install as many new receivers/DVR units will have two tuners, so you can record one channel while watching another or record two and watch a program already recorded. Great during football season.

And thats my Vote for KVH!

Mike K

Ben
06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Mike,

I believe that the TracStar can do dual tuners using a single coax cable.

I've talked to many people in the industry (different converters, etc.) and they all recommend TracStar.

Jerry Winchester
06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Mike, That's really what Roger's coach looks like after Mickey found out he posted a photo of her on the Internet in a bikini :eek:

And for what it's worth, I have a KVH TrackVision A5 (the low profile one you can't really see on the roof) and it pretty much works as advertised. I turn it on and it works going down the road or sitting still, as long is it is not blocked by trees or overpasses.

The service is DirectTV, so we pay the $5.99 to add it to our home account and go on down the road.

MangoMike
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Fast Roger worked his magic and made the deal. We're going to be in TracStar city next week.

JW the first time a bird takes on dump on that flat antenna of yours, not only bye bye birdie but also bye bye oprah.

TracstarMango

mike kerley
06-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Ben, No problem sending several signals over one cable. The problem comes with getting that one LNB (that the one cable is connected to) to see both vertical and horizontal polarity (or odd and even). The receivers send out a voltage which switches the LNB polarity from H to V as you change channels. No problem with one receiver, but put two or three or four on line and all receivers end up watching what ever is on the one polarity the LNB is switched to. Two LNB's, two cables to a "switch" and a separate cable to each tuner and every tuner sees every channel (on one satellite). The switch sets one LNB at vertical and one at horizontal and locks them. Then the output to the receiver sees the voltage asking for horizontal or vertical and picks or switches to that LNB input. Leaving the other outputs from the switch undisturbed. All can watch a vertical transponder or all can watch a horizontal transponder or any combination.

Most of the roof top dishes have an option for a second LNB so that two cables can be run. That use to be one to the rear and one to the front, but now with multi tuner boxes, you need two cables to every location.

HD makes it even more confusing because they are now using three satellites (on Direct TV) and may soon add three more. So your dish must be able to move to different satellites or be able to capture more than one satellite at a time.

As a disclaimer. I am responsible for several KU band up-links, one C band up-link and numerous down link sites. But that does not mean some one has not invented a new wabbit that works with one cable and "does it all". Probable just forgot to send me the notice (or I was napping). If your take is right, it will make everything much simpler. Then we just have to be concerned about seeing several satellites at one time.

Don't you love TECHNOLOGY?

AND, I still like KVH (but have nothing against TracStar) and would buy a flat or low profile if they can figure out the "dew" problem. I know, move to Arizona.

Jerry Winchester
06-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Mike,

Jeff told me birds only crapped on Libertys. What's up with that?

Just Plain Jeff
06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I said that MY Liberty was crappy. And that I was trying to give you the big picture.

YOU said all Liberty's were crappy.

(All overheard in the shower of the Millennium and I have a witness).

Jon Wehrenberg
06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
You guys are all jealous. In fact at POG II, us guys with Libertys don't even want to park near you guys. A Liberty will win the bling award.

Remember, you heard it here first.

Kevin Erion
07-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I have the original Moto-Sat on my 99 Marathon, I am not ready to by the in-motion unit. My dish wants to lock on to the wrong satellite, I was told that if I update the unit it will fix the problem. $600 some dollars latter, I would just go for a complete new system. Just wondering if anybody has a used unit that might be newer than mine they want to part with?
Thanks,
Kevin

Ray Davis
07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Kevin,

Not sure if you got any response on this, but there's always used units being traded/sold at datastormmusers.com

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
07-28-2006, 07:08 AM
The cynic in me thinks the used units are being sold because the owners got sick of the problems.

ken&ellen
07-28-2006, 07:50 AM
I am with Jon on this one. As the pricing comes down on electronics, including sat systems, dealers do not offer trade-in programs; therefore creating a glut of out dated equipment. When I purchased my Liberty part of the deal was a new King Dome. When I went to my local installer he offered me his new system vs mine....but would not give me $$$$ for the King Dome in the box! My systems works fine....simple non-motion system...semi-auto.., but not high tech. Ken

Kevin Erion
07-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I agree with Jon and when I get the time, I will go for in motion.
Kevin

rfoster
07-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Now that I have a few more hours of re runs under my belt, Mayberry & Spanky come in good on the new Trac Star as compared to previous dish. I seldom recommend anything, but so far so good with the TracStar in motion dish. Vikki at Satellites in Motion does an excellent job.http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/buckwheat.jpg

Just Plain Jeff
07-29-2006, 10:20 AM
We're a bit behind the curve here.

http://www.videopodcastingnews.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/old_tv_rocketboom.jpg

But happy in our camper.

lewpopp
08-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I just completely wrecked my dish. I left it up and a tree lunched it. Who can I contact for aq new one and can I install it myself with very little knowledge of electronics. I would put it in the same place the old one was. I may have to go to a dome. Hate to spend the Lew Bucks but I may have to.

rfoster
08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Lew:
This is the place I got my new dish as well as Mangos.
http://www.satellitesinmotion.com/

The In motion Trac Star was our Choice, but they offer many different ones, so study the ad, and call Vikki, she was super nice and very helpful- cry and wine alot, maybe it will help you - didn't help me.
Be sure and ask about a factory reconditioned dish to save you money and may tie in with your existing wiring and electronic componets.

lewpopp
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Jon suggested a tracstar. I tend to want to stay with the same thing I presently ruined. It was a Moto-Sat and the pictures on the site look the same. I don't need in-motion so I may call them Monday. Thanks.

I just hope I can unhook the old and replace it with the new without screwing around with the interior wiring.

Ben
08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Lew,

You might want to check the Datastorm users forum ("http://www.datastormusers.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/forum/f/19.html") to see if anyone has a used dish for sale.

lewpopp
08-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Does anyone on this forum have a used Moto-sat they are kicking around or some parts they want to rid themselves of. I found a bent shaft in one of the gear boxes after dismanteling it.

Just Plain Jeff
08-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Lew:

You may wish to check with Richard Simpson at Parliament. He seems to be able to come up with this stuff. Save some Lew Bucks and you get to fix it yourself?

lewpopp
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I bought a rebuilt from MotoSat and installed it today and all is perfect.

I'm sure it is a new unit, but when you purchase older style equipment, they list it as rebuilt as not to hurt the ones who purchased the same unit as new a year or so ago.

I do not know of anyone purchasing one of these antiquated systems in a long time but I had to go the most economical way.

Thanks for the heads up, but it's too late and I should have thought of Richard.

Jeff Bayley
10-27-2006, 03:38 AM
As a new member and relativly new RV'r (2.5 years ago bought first Prevost and first RV) I'm mostly learning things from this group but eager to put something back into the kitty here if I can.

To Kevin, I just tuned up my MotoSat Executive dish which is what I think you might have alos. It was original from 1997. It is an 18" self seeking but not in motion. This is my 2nd used Prevost in 2.5 years. I replaced the one on the 94 bus completley with an in motion system but I elected to leave the dish on this one and only replaced the old controller which is a real lemmon according to the MotoSat dealer I used. I replaced it with what they call the Nomad controler and it was $500. You push one button to get it to seek instead of having to input your city and all that junk which takes you through about 4 different screens. I left the original dish which is working fine (I never used the other one while moving anyhow on my other coach) and I also kept this dish because it is larger than the ones under the dome and supposedly picks up a better signal and might be less prone to rain issues, etc. If you decide to upgrade, get the newer Nomad controller (Nomade III I think) that works with HD and you also need the HD dish. I think you would get the HD dish and controller together in a package. Only a few channels on HD now I guess but you might as well get with that for a few bucks more. You could ask a MotoSat dealer you find (or call MotoSat) if you can buy just the Nomad III controller (I'm sure about this part) and then add the upgraded HD dish if and when your ready (I'm not sure about this part). I THINK I recall that the dish automatically comes with the controller in the package and you can break it up one way (controller only) but not the other (dish only that is).

In closing, can anyone tell why the Direct TV receiver stays hot enough to cook on even when you hit the power button and supposedly turn it off ? It is so hot that it cooked the CD motor on my Bose receiver which was stacked on top of it. I sometimes turn the breaker for everthing in that corner off overnight when dry camping figuring that all that heat must be taking power from the house batteries overnight. The thing get's so hot it almost seems like a fire hazard. Is there something wrong with my unit or is everyone elses doing this also ?

Jeff

mike kerley
10-27-2006, 10:18 AM
The direct tv receiver never is off unless you pull the plug.

Its always recieving signals so it can update the guide and check on where your at, what your watching and even how many hours you sleep.

Just kidding about watching. It is always on line and will get quite warm. I'd put it on the top of the heap or keep it by its self.

Its a computer and it will generate a fair amount of heat.

Mike K.

win42
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
On our 1200 Mi.trip to Pog2, every night when we stopped we had to call Direc TV to get the satelite dialed in. Finally after talking to our Indian connection we were kicked upstairs to a supervisor that again got us going. She told us, after every 200 miles or so we needed to turn the system on and let it keep current with our new location. So far that has helped.
h