PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback

Trendycat
10-17-2008, 05:41 AM
We're in FL this week searching for our first Prevost. I've been using Jon's excellent PDI article for guidance along with research from the forum.

Interested in 2 coaches and would like opinions/feedback from the group.
The first is a Panterra owned coach that is currently at Horizon in FL.
http://panterracoach.com/sales/details.php?v_id=58
'97 Series 60 Vogue XL45 with approx 261,000 miles asking $145,000
Spent several hours yesterday giving a thorough visual inspection, dated decor (teal and purple) that is also unique (lightning bolt theme throughout interior) but very clean on the inside. Minor scratches, paint issues on the outside that I would consider likely to be normal for a bus of that mileage.

Horizon has not really gone over the coach thoroughly yet due to just having received it in the last week, however it definitely needs tires all around. The OTR air was not working but the tech says the breaker was blown - reset it and ran for several hours seems fine. 2 of the 4 rooftop airs are not working, reasons undetermined at the moment.

They were not aware if they had any manuals/service records but I came across them on my visual inspection. Did not have time to thoroughly examine them yet but glanced briefly at some handwritten logs that seemed to indicate regular oil changes/maintenance. According to information I received from Bob Makin, this is a 2 owner coach last purchased in '03 when it had approx 80K miles on it. Has had 180K put on in past 5 years :eek:

That doesn't particularly bother me, however, there was an entry in the handwritten log that said: ENGINE REBUILD 10/05 180,000K miles :eek::eek: I thought Series 60s were supposed to be 1M engines. More research is needed on this but I'm interested in feedback about any known defects or abuse that could cause a need for a rebuild.

Planning on going back tomorrow to scour service records, test drive, etc.

On our way this morning to see another coach that is privately owned.
This is a 93 H3-40 Marathon with approx 163K miles asking $135,000
http://www.thebusman.com/buses-details.aspx?BusNo=172#
I had a lengthy phone conversation with the owner and he appears to be a very detail oriented individual. Only the second owner - purchased in 2002. He has upgraded both TV's to modern flat panels and done other cosmetic work to the interior. (Some 50K in recent work done at Marathon Coach) All service has been at Prevost Jacksonville or Marathon coach. New air bags, valve, compressor. New house and coach batteries. 4 cruise airs, 2 were recently replaced. OTR air failed and Prevost had to build a new evaporator special for his unit from the original specs. Exhaust replaced a couple of years ago on a visit to the Prevost factory in Quebec City.

He is selling because he purchased a double slide H3-45 about 3 years ago and thought his daughter would use this coach. It has seen little use in the past year or so I guess he's tired of being a TBC member.

I think I'm still partial to the rivet coaches, but we haven't looked at an H3 yet and this seemed like a well maintained unit even though it has the 8V engine.

Please feel free to PM or email me with comments (in fact, I would prefer that method for any comments regarding pricing since I know these forums are monitored by some of the selling parties).

Thanks for all your help we're trying to zero in on a suitable coach on this trip, so all feedback is most appreciated. (Minor abuse and derision will also be tolerated)

Bruce

One other question the Vogue 45XL has the Prevost level low system - any concerns I should have that are specific to that system?

dalej
10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Bruce, they both have internet appeal. It's so hard for us to reply on them. I personally like the 97, but that doesn't mean anything. If and when you have questions about specific items, this is a great forum. If it doesn't feel right, don't buy one. Check out Mango's 97, he has had it in inside storage and it's a nice coach. Call Steve at California Coach and get some ideas also.

Looking for a coach is so much fun, isn't it!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Bruce,

All mechanical things, even the Series 60 can fail. I think the owners of Series 60 coaches on this forum will consider them to be very reliable, but there was a time when Detroit Diesel had some vendor issues for example and certain Series 60 engines had piston failures which usually resulted in the total destruction of the engine. There are all kinds of reasons why a Series 60 or any engine would require a rebuild, even with low miles. The critial part is if it was done properly, or by Bob's Bait and Bus Repair shop using salvaged parts.

As to picking out a coach for you...........my guess is given enough time you and your wife will know exactly the layout you want, the type of systems you require, and you will get a sense of what appeals to you. You will "know". After a while you will not have to go further than the front steps of the coach to know if you like it or not.

As a new coach owner I would strongly recommend however that a coach with "a few things that need to be fixed" can turn into a nightmare because deferred maintenance on these coaches usually means no maintenance. If someone selling a coach of this caliber doesn't take the time to repair the obvious things, just wait until you get the coach and find all the "little" things that haven't been repaired. As a new owner you will go crazy because you don't know if something is really broken or if you are doing something wrong.

Be patient. Your coach is out there.