PDA

View Full Version : Still having some electrical issues?

Tully
10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, my 1990 Country Coach ended up having bad house batteries. Had them replaced.

My question will seem silly to many but I need to know the following:

1) When running just my genny (with inverter off) should I know have full power for a/c units and all inside lights and outlets?

2) Should the inverter only be turned on when the genny is not running and your are not hooked up to shore power? Basically only used for dry camping?

Reason that I ask is that when I fire up the genny I only get the front & middle a/c unit to run. No other house items work- lights or outlets.

When I put the inverter on I get full interior lights and outlets but no a/c.

The strange thing here is when I have both the genny and inverter on the following happens:

No a/c units will run but full power to the interior - lights & outlets

This will only happen when the 50 amp main breaker in the back bedroom is turned off.

The second I turn the 50 amp breaker to on- the interior lights & outlets go off and the a/c units kick on.

It seems that I cannot run both the roof top a/c units and have full house power at the same time.

I used to be able to get both a/c units and full house. Now it is either one or the other.

It seems strange that I would have to turn off on of the main power breakers on box #2 to get house power?

Now, with genny off and inverter off and plugged into shore power- the back a/c unit will run unless I turn the breaker off. To complicate the issue, the back a/c unit will not turn on at all unless I am connected to shore power.

What am I over-looking here. The only switch/s I know of to reset power are the two main electrical boxes in the back bedroom. Also, there is s transfer swictch of some sort next to the inverter box that says 30 - off - 50. What should this be set to under certain situations?

I am at a loss. I have read all the manuals several times over and cannot put my finger on what is going on.

Any help?

Tully

dale farley
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Tully,
All buses have somewhat different systems, but it sounds like you have a unusual problem. As a general rule, the generator usually runs everything on the bus with no problems. This is assuming you have the orginal size generator and no one has rewired the system.

It is not normal that you can't run the AC's and have full power to the inside of the coach at the same time. It doesn't sound like you just have a breaker that needs flipping. I would be very suspicious of the transfer switch.

Tully
10-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Were would the transfer switch in question be located at? A certain bay?

The genny was replaced with a 20k Kohler generator.

Tully

dale farley
10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Mine is in the 3rd bay on the passenger side, but that may not mean anything since there are several years differnce. My transfer switch is in a gray box about a foot square.

garyde
10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
The electric in your bus should all run when on shore or generator. Your transfer switch simply auto switches between shore and generator when sensing either source. Your inverters run some of your interior 120 volt load, not all. Your A/C's run off of Shore or Gen. however, some Converters had one A/C connected to inverters. The inverters also charge the house batteries which in turn operate the 120 volt load which is connected to the inverters. Your 30-off-50 switch sounds like just your cord selection for shore power, but if it is in the off position it may not allow the gen to pass thru to power inverters, and all of your other 120/240 volt loads.
So, when switced to 50, you should have all loads. Either your transfer switch is partially not working (test) or the 30-off-50 is not working.