PDA

View Full Version : Vanner battery cont. change out

Danss
10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Should you turn all power switches off when changing the Vanner battery cont. unit?
Thanks for info. Dan

Jon Wehrenberg
10-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Dan, I would treat the wires as hot, and just don't ground them. If you want to be sure you do not get in trouble, as soon as you remove a wire from the unit, wrap some tape around it so it cannot accidently hit the ground.

I'm not sure if shutting the chassis battery switches off kills all power to the unit. It is not monitoring the house so there is no need to turn anything on the house off.

dreamchasers
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Concerning the Vanner. I have a spare Vanner (came with the coach), but I think it might have been used. Does anybody know of a place that I can ship the Vanner to for checkout and/or repair?

Hector

Darrell McCarley
10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Hector.............I had my Vanner repaired at ALTERNATOR SERVICE INC in Dallas Tx . Call 214-630-6771. They also repair battery chargers and other 12v and 24v accessories. Darrell

dreamchasers
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Hector.............I had my Vanner repaired at ALTERNATOR SERVICE INC in Dallas Tx . Call 214-630-6771. They also repair battery chargers and other 12v and 24v accessories. Darrell

Thanks Darrell.

I will call them tomorrow.

Hector

Joe Cannarozzi
11-05-2008, 01:33 AM
I had a call yesterday from a friend with a Featherlight conversion and he said he was getting a warning light for house battery equalization????

Could it be one of these Vanner units and how would you begin to check?

Should he first be separating and checking the house batteries?

Here is an odd request. The bus has 2 back-up monitors the original and a new one incorporated into the stereo. The guy pulls a trlr and wants to put a camera in the back of the trlr. Question is normally how many wires are going to the camera?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
The Vanner monitor is supposed to warn of various chassis battery or electrical system conditions which are out of certain parameters. Low voltage, high voltage, battery equal, etc. Fortunately when the monitor lights up a warning light on the dash, and owner can use a multi-tester to determine if the warning light and monitor are telling the truth.

If for example it warns of high or low battery voltage the chassis batteries can be checked and if they are OK then the monitor is malfuncting (a highly technical term).

My rear view camera is a Sony B&W and it has four wires, but more modern color cameras and monitors use five I believe.

BrianE
11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Joe, There are backup cameras that hook up with a standard 2 wire AV cable also. For trailer installation you might suggest a wireless setup.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-camera~VRBCS335W.htm

Darl-Wilson
11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Joe, your pal might be better served with a wireless camera on his trailer. I have found several with a 100' range. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=BJ5&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=truck+wireless+backup+cameras&spell=1)
I have a little cheap (about $79) unit I bought from Costco. It works great. The only problem for me is the screen is small. But there are lots of these around that work great and don't need wires. Good Luck!