PDA

View Full Version : Radiator

dale farley
10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
At Spearfish, we were checking our antifreeze. According to the test strips, I needed to add something to my antifreeze to bring it back into balance. Can someone tell me what that is called. I'm sending Paulette to Detroit Diesel today and need to get some of whatever it is that I need.

dalej
10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
was it power cool?

dale farley
10-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't know what it was. Someone was going to DD at Spearfish and get some of the additive for several people who needed to balance the antifreeze. I know Jon and Roger know what I am talking about. I should have been paying more attention, and I shouldn't have such a bad memory.

dale farley
10-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Dalej, I just called Roger, and he says it is Power Cool. Thanks.

tdelorme
10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Dale, Power Cool is $20 a gallon antifreeze. Not an additive as such.

jonnie
10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Dale.

If you have a coolant filter on you engine you should be able to buy a filter with a DCA4 charge already in the filter. They come in different grades called pill sizes or doses.

John

dale farley
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Ted, You're right. I had called DD to make sure they had it, and the Power Cool is antifreeze ($16.50 gal) with the additive in it. "Nal Cool" is the additive itself, and it is $16.91 for 1/2 gallon.

John, When I changed my antifreeze a few months ago, I thought I used the filter with the additive in it. Either it didn't have the additive in it, or it wasn't enough to balance my system. When I checked it in Spearfish, it was significantly low. That's why I am adding the Nal Cool.

truk4u
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Dale,

Look at the coolant filter and determine what number you have. You may have a blank filter with no SCA time release. My Liberty has two blank filters because Brain put the Extended stuff in and it just requires periodic checking.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
The filters with a charge are not going to get you up from a very low test level but will keep you at the correct levels, maybe slightly up the amounts.

It has been my experience with the additives that you need to add about twice what they suggest for any given volume of liquid.

This is what I use and I needed to add one pint for every 2 gallons of coolant, I put a dozen of them in when I drained and replaced the coolant. (the instructions say it will treat 4 Gal.-NOT)

Dale if you cannot locate any product I will send you a case of 12 of what I have been using, let me know. I think they were about 3 bucks each.

dale farley
10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I got 1/2 gal of the Nal Cool today, so I will see how that does. I am really undecided about how much of it I should add at one time. I don't want to add too much. The DD place was out of the test strips, so I ordered some. When I checked it in Spearfish, it didn't really register on the test strip.

Joe, Thanks for the offer to send the other additive. Hopefully, the Nal Cool will do the job.