PDA

View Full Version : Axle Bearing Nuts

Joe Cannarozzi
10-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I just spent the evening with a good friend who just returned from attending a seminar on anti lock air brake systems.

This is what he showed me. When you open it up click on the photo of the 3 nuts that are displayed and that will open up a pdf file.

http://www.stemco.com/Products/ProTorqNuts/tabid/81/Defalt.aspx

Now how cool is this. No more double jam nuts. He was told that that .001 end play is critical for correct operation of anti-lock brake systems and this is what they suggest using to get it right. These locking nuts will however work on the brakes w/o anti lock too.

Have anyone seen these? Have any info or comments?

phorner
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Joe,

I have not seen these but they look impressive.

I did have a bearing replaced last spring at Prevost-Jacksonville and the technician did, in fact, state that the .001 end play was critical, so much so that he re-checked it the next morning before we left. That, of course, required removal and reinstallation of the hub cap.

Said he thought about it all night and wanted to be absolutely certain that it was correct before we left.

Kevin Erion
10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Joe, my 00XLII shell has a single nut that has a pinch bolt that after you set the lash you tighten the side pinch bolt. Prevost has .000 to .004 as the tolerance, I questioned what .0 was and they had a hard time answering that! I like the looks of that set up.

dalej
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Joe, If you can get a kit set up for our bus's, please post prices and kit numbers. The next time I tear into my bearing, it would be nice to go with these kind.

Maybe Orren might have a handle on these also.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I need to find out the housing manufacturer and corrisponding #'s.

The rearend is Rockwell and I know the nut size is 4in but what is the diamiter of the threads on the spindle and how many threads per inch?

Is the steer and tag Rockwell too? I'll bet they change #'s with years.

If there is an 800# I could call at Prevo I will do the reaserch.

Paul that is the kind of guy you want on your bus.

tdelorme
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Stemco is a local company that is about 20 miles from the farm. Good outfit, but they don't sell direct. Their local dealer, East Texas Truck Equipment, had never heard of the Pro-Torq setup but said he could get them the same day from Stemco if he had a part number. No way to price without a part number as well.
I thought Prevost the steer axle was made by Rockwell, but Stemco does not list a Rockwell steer.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I do not have our bus here so my hands are tied.