PDA

View Full Version : VA camping area?

Ray Davis
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I will be leaving Bob and Debi in Landrum SC. Next scheduled stop currently is just over the border of Maryland, where I can drive back and stop at Mango Mikes.

Looking for somewhere reasonble to stop for on night in between. Kathy is interested in seeing Monticello, which I believe is in the Charlottesville area of VA.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to stay in that general area? It looks like I will be heading up I81 through VA before cutting over to MD.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray Davis
10-05-2008, 05:46 PM
One I ran across looks promising, but reviews were mixed on rvparkreviews.com.

Walnut Hills Campground in Staunton, VA.

http://www.walnuthillscampground.com/

Anyone ever stayed there? I'm only basically looking for an overnight stay, and maybe spending part of a day over to see Charlottesville.

Ray

Sid Tuls
10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Ray, are you in your new coach?

Will Garner
10-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Ray,

Yes Monticello is in Charlottesville Virginia. Staunton is in the Shenandoah Valley on the west side of a mountain range from Charlottesville. Have you tried checking in the Charlottesville area for a campground?

I attended Virginia Tech back in the late 1960's and used to go parts of I-81 and US 11 then a US route over the mountain and into Charlottesville where I picked up US 29 north to I-66 (I think) and on into Washington. My final destination was Baltimore, Maryland. Unfortunately, I do not have knowledge of campsites available in the area.

One site that you should take advantage of seeing that is not far off I-81 is in Bedford, Virginia. The National D-Day Memorial is there. Bedford is a short distance north from Roanoke, Virginia. Carole and I visited the Memorial in 2002 shortly after my Dad passed away. It is impressive and haunting. There are "bus parking" areas. Bedford Virginia lost more citizens during the D-Day invasion than any other locale in America on a per capita basis. The memorial is on top of a hill and most likely much better than when Carole and I went in 2002 when it had just opened to visitors.