PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wildness Campground ??

Ray Davis
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Anyone ever park their bus at Fort Wilderness (Disneyworld, FL)? I'm picking up my bus at San Antonio, and rather than sit at Marathon for 3 days, I'm hoping to get out in 2, and maybe take a quick trip over to Orlando, and spend a night at Fort Wilderness.

I'm reading various reviews about it, but many complaints about narrow roads and sites. But, on the other hand, I read press reports that they are now offering special sites for BIG BIG rigs (as they put it).

Just curious if anyone has used this facility, and had any thoughts.

Thanks,
Ray

phorner
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Ray,

I haven't been there recently, but friends of ours that work for Disney say that there has been considerable improvement for the bigger rigs.

I would give them a call to confirm....

Paul

truk4u
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Ray,

It's very nice, but plan on scuffing your drive and tag tires and drag a few tree limbs getting in and out as well. The place was built for Winnebago's. We were just there last January and you can't even get past the campground guard shack with a 45' without curbing your tires.

I won't be going back..

Ray Davis
10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks Tom, that's exactly the info I wanted. This will be my first 3 hours in the bus, and I'd rather not get into that type of location as my first spot!

Ray

Loc
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Ray,

No disrespect to the sheep herder, but we have never curbed our tires. We have taken the bus to Ft. Wilderness at least once a year for the last six years. We were there this summer. You will need to be careful driving into each of the loops as there are some trees and the spaces can be tough to get into. Make sure the person at the gate (when you check in) understands the size of the vehilce your are driving. Even though they are looking at the bus, it may not register. The best sites are the ones that are generally on the outside of the turns in the camping loops because it is a straight shot to back in. However, unless you are planning to go to Disney, there are easier places to camp in Orlando.

Loc

Ray Davis
10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Loc,

Thanks for the comment. My thoughts were this. We'll arrive at Marathon on Tuesday, and I'm currently scheduled to head out on Friday, heading up to Hilton Head, SC.

Being that I'm already pretty-darn familiar with the bus (it's almost identical to my previous bus), I was thinking of heading out a day early, but take a short jaunt (a couple of hours) as my breakdown (or is that meltdown according to Doreen) trip. Orlando seemed a reasonable place, and because I'm effectively a Disney cast member, I get into the parks free, and we thought we'd spend a day at Epcot Center, or somewhere we haven't been.

It would be just as fine to park somewhere else that is easier to deal with, and actually for "first" trip in this bus, I'd like to start with something a little easier. I'm sure that parking a 45 footer is different than my previous 40 foot coaches (although not altogether different).

So, if you have suggestions for a good big-rig friendly park a couple of hours out of San Antonio, and possibly close to the mouse's home, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Ray

wrongagain
10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
We were there last december and are going again in a couple of weeks.
We are getting one of the new "premium" sites.
Getting in and out of the fort is not nearly as bad as people make it to be.
There were no branch stripes on the coach what so ever.
Most of the drama is caused by people who cant drive a car, have never backed up a trailer, and are trying to put the new 35 foot 5th wheel into a site that was made for a pop up tent.
I backed in with no helpers in one try, but to be fair the guy across from me tried for a half hour to get in, but then again he had lots of helpers, wife, grandkids, dog, etc.
Yes it was made around smaller sized RV's from years ago, but have no fear.
It is no worse than any country road.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
If you can't get a spot try the Tropical Palms on 192 between east and west gate.

Fort Wilderness is one of the nicest campgrounds in the country.

Limahuli1
01-16-2009, 10:09 PM
We went to the Last Prevost Prouds Rally at Ft Wilderness and would never go back.The parking is terrible.:mad: