PDA

View Full Version : Tires=fuel?!

adamdegraff
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
A quick update on my tire issue.... and a startling discovery.

Things got to the point (in my head) that I just wasn't comfortable anymore with the steering tires. That terrible occurrence about the front tire blow out, wife ejected and run over was enough for me to err on the side of caution.

So I decided to start looking for new front tires. Some uneven wear lead me to look faster. I was at a truck tire dealer to get the fronts rotated to the back and my nicer looking rear tires moved up to the front when the salesman pushed my buttons. He said that he had a tire that would be as good or better than the XZA1's. I asked if he was sure it would work as well. ( I wasn't in THAT big of a hurry for new front tires.) He promised me they would be great and that I wouldn't notice the difference. He sold me 2 Firestone FS400s. Short story: I removed them today and put on new XZA1's after I lucked into a dealer that had them in stock. Dealer #1 is getting Firestones UPS'd back to him and I'm expecting a refund.

Long story: allow me to list how the firestone FS400s suck.

1. Immediately, I could tell that the bus didn't handle as well. The firestones seemed to track differently. IMO, in a random patter. Could just take some getting used to.

2. They heated up something fierce! Hot, hot, hot to the touch after a couple hundred miles. Filled cold to 120PSI, they got up to over 150 PSI. (My front end weights almost 15K, and this NEVER happened with the XZA's.... today with the new XZAs, also filled to 120, no problem at all.)

3. Maybe the most startling discovery of all.... driving the speed limit (55-65 depending on the road) and similar terrain, I averaged 6.6MPG with the firestones and 8.5MPG with the XZAs. This amazed me. This alone justifies the more expensive XZAs. Does this surprise anybody else? Ok, even if the wind was a LITTLE different, alomst 2MPG better?

This direct comparison was very eye opening to me. I for one will by sticking with the Mich. XZA1's for as long as I can find them... even if the price goes up.

BTW, the Firestones, for two tires, installed were $1000. The XZAs were $1500. At 2MPG difference and fuel prices nearing $4 per gallon, certainly worth the difference.

~Adam

merle&louise
10-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Adam,

If you are concerned about front tire safety; take a look at this website
http://www.runflat.com/

I am having this system installed on my coach next week. According to the manufacturer you will maintain full control after a front tire blow out. The system for both front tires is $1200 installed. The inner band can be removed when you sell the coach and installed on your new coach.

IMO this is about the best investment anyone could make for a motorhome.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
With all due respect Tuga, as in aviation the greatest safety device possible is a well trained operator behind the wheel. Nothing will ever replace the benefits of having a highly trained driver who is proficient. Everything else is perhaps helpful, but in a distant second place.

merle&louise
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Jon,

Do you think that this system will work? Will it prevent a driver who is NOT highly trained in handling a blow out to maintain control of his coach? Before I spend $1200 I would like to know your opinion and the opinion of others.

Thanks.

Petervs
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Tuga,

I do not see it as a needed safety device. Their website states:

"Anyone who has driven an RV knows how dangerous a steering axle tire blowout can be. We have now fitted over 5,000 Class A motor coaches with Tyron."

This is supposed to convince you. They provide no data to support their claim. Sorry, I am not convinced. I see the risk as exceedingly small, and if there is a blowout on a front tire, this MIGHT help, but there are plenty of cases where a front blowout resulted in no loss of control. If you happen to have Howard Steering, you are already one step ahead.

Also, just because the military and fire departments use it, well, they are spending other peoples money. If you can get this installed but paid for by the government, I would get them!

Constant monitoring of proper tire pressure is probably a better investment of your time and energy.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Tuga, I like the idea of what it might provide a driver in case of a front tire blowout, but what does it do to the balance of the front tires and alignement ?

The video says you do not need to rebalance the tire because you only broke the one bead to install, but with that heavy metal band inside your tires, I would think it would throw off balance and possibly the alignment?? :confused:

Just my thoughts !

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Ditto what Peter said. If you experience a blowout or sudden loss of tire pressure you the driver can retain complete control as long as you do not do anything sudden. Yes the coach will pull towards the failed tire, but as long as you do nothing initially but manage the steering wheel to retain control there is unlikely to be any danger.

I think blowouts are a hazard when the driver jerks the wheel, or rapidly takes his foot from the gas pedal, or worse, hits the brakes. I don't think any of us needs to practice by having someone shoot out our tires, but if we mentally review the techniques to handle a blowout routinely we will be as prepared as we need to be.

Someone posted a video on handling blowouts recently. That video shows clearly a blowout is a non-event if handled properly.

Ray Davis
10-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Someone posted a video on handling blowouts recently. That video shows clearly a blowout is a non-event if handled properly.

The video also very clearly indicated to initially accellerate when the blowout occurs. Something I didn't realize, mentioned, and got scolded for. :D

adamdegraff
10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
where is this video? I seem to have missed it.

Ray Davis
10-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Adam,

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/videos-demos.jsp

Click on the link there to the one titled "Critical Factor".

Ray

Ray Davis
10-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Note, at the URL listed above, there are several videos. The one titled "Things RV Owners Should Know" is very good, and deals with weighing, weights, tires, inflation and several other things generally good to know.

Ray

Coloradobus
10-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, we watched the video, scoured their website and didn't see anything about how these things actually work.
The HENSLEY HITCH website has the same characteristics as this one, in they really don' want you know what their product does. HENSLEY HITCH says their hitch will prevent travel trailer sway on all accounts. When you corner them at an RV Show, they dance all around the question how it works.
For similar money, go with SMART TIRE, if you need more peace of mind.

10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, we watched the video, scoured their website and didn't see anything about how these things actually work.
The HENSLEY HITCH website has the same characteristics as this one, in they really don' want you know what their product does. HENSLEY HITCH says their hitch will prevent travel trailer sway on all accounts. When you corner them at an RV Show, they dance all around the question how it works.
For similar money, go with SMART TIRE, if you need more peace of mind.
Call me stupid as well. I can not understand how this product works either.

When you blow out your tire and it comes apart (does it still come apart) are you riding on the metal band?? wrapped around some rubber??? The video does not show what actually occurs very well.

I like the idea of added safety but would want to see this one up close. Lot of material between the tread and the wheel to screw up the balance and road handling.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
The sky is falling chicken little, run.

merle&louise
10-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I don't understand how it works either, but I hope to be better educated next week when I see the Tyron band in person.

I think that if this product does what it claims, it will be a wonderful safety feature. Since it is impossible to determine when a tire will blow I feel that I would like to have a device like this to protect me and my family. The only front tire blow out that I have experienced occurred on a straight stretch of I-25. The coach tracked straight, I pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. I have not had ANY special training on what to do when a front tire blows. I just pressed on the brakes and pulled over onto the shoulder. Who knows what would have happened if I had been rounding a curve; it might have been a different outcome.

I am going to continue investigating this system. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
If you really are that interested in spending money Tuga, put it in the Prevost purchase fund coffee can. Or you can send it to me.

merle&louise
10-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I was reading on Tyron's website again this morning and found this link.
http://www.tyron.com/pages/extended_runflat.htm

It is for automobile tires and does not say anything about RVs. This system is easy to understand; the car would simply ride on the inside collar.

It seems that there are two different systems: one is for cars and has a collar inside the tire that the car rides on and the other one is just a band that seems not to support anything! Confusing!

I am going to dig into this and find out how it works.:D

merle&louise
10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I found out today that the Tyron Run Flat system for motorhomes IMO is not what I would want to buy. Simply, I can not see how it can support a blown out tire! It is only a metal band that fits into the well of the rim.

The Run flat system that is made for cars seems to be more viable for blow outs. It is about 4" high and is mounted inside the tire, so if the tire blows the tire is supported by the "inner" core.

I have instead purchased a Smart Tire system; it measures tire pressure and temperature and displays the info on a monitor mounted to the dash board. I have it on my front tires and plan to put it on my tow vehicle.

Thanks for all of the opinions you guys have saved me some money and I feel that I have purchased the better of the two systems.

It pays to belong to POG!:D

Ray Davis
10-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Smart Choice Tuga. I purchased the Smartire system for my bus. I'll let you know how it works some time next week.

I purchased a 12 sensor system, internally-mounted which covers the toad and all 8 coach tires. I also got a remote (fairly cheep) monitor for just the toad, which allows me to monitor tires while driving just the toad.

Smartire now makes a really nice 2 in round guage, which fits nicely in the dash, and doesn't look quite so like the hokey plastic add-on, velcro'd to the dash. I'll see how it actually looks next week too.

Fingers crossed that it was the right choice, but given the recent couple of incidents with tires, I'm glad I did it.

Ray

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Tuga, not trying Cloud the Issue here, but I was looking at the new Newells on-line today, just for the heck of it, and noticed they have both the SmartTire System, and the Tyron Run Flat system installed.

They must believe in both systems? :confused: :D

Gary S.

garyde
10-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Fuel prices. Looks like Oil keeps coming down, ($87.00 per barrel today), however fuel prices are really slow to follow. Looks like the distributors want to add more $$ to their piggy banks and I do mean piggy.

merle&louise
10-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Gary,

I agree with you, I see no need for BOTH systems. I have spoken to 3 owners here at Newell and all three like the Smart Tire. None have had a blow out (fortunately) using the Tyron Run Flat system.

I guess they just like to spend money.

lewpopp
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Tuga, I noticed in the RV Business book that came today that Newell opened a sales/service location in Coburg Or. Now, all they have to do is open one in Florida and become more aggressive.

merle&louise
10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Lew,

I think that the Northwest area was chosen because of the lucrative California market and also Karl Blade is from that area. I agree Florida would be a good choice. Look forward to seeing you and Kathy this winter, we are going to try to make it down to PSL just don't know when!:D