PDA

View Full Version : No Ignition Power

Loc
09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
As we are getting ready to return to Houston last Sunday in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike, I sit down to start the coach and pull in the slide outs and after turning the key - nothing - absolutely nothing. The dash has no idot lights or sounds at all. My bride who is upset with me for leaving Houston in the first place gets the "I ready to send you and the bus together off a cliff" look on her face. I know that if I cannot pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and get the bus started and on the way to Houston post haste there will be hell to pay. I immediately call my friend who works for Prevost. He says to try starting from the rear - still nothing. He suggests a call to the regional Prevost service rep. I call the rep and pull out the mutli-meter and start checking batteries. Then the rep says to go inside, take the keys out of the ignition and then go outside and lock and unlock the entry door using the key pad. BINGO we are in business. The day before I gone out early and locked the door using the key pad. Later that morining, my bride unlocks the door from the inside to let the WonderBeagle out. The bus security system thinks that it is being attacked and shuts down the ignition. The reset is to lock and unlock the bus using the key pad. I am sure that others have experienced this, but I thought I would add my experience in case others haven't.

Ray Davis
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
That is a really good piece of information to know!

ray

phorner
09-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I wonder if this is specific to the XLII's ?

On my bus, an XL, if I lock the door with the key fob remote, and then un-lock it manually from inside, the alarm will go off.

The alarm is then shut off by depressing the "un-lock" button on the remote.

rickdesilva
09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't know the door security keypad and bus ignition were tied together, I would assume that it has nothing to do with the converter and is common with all Prevosts. This is good info, perhaps we should put together a list of "what to look for if your coach doesn't start".

tdelorme
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Loc, this is the kind of information that is covered at POG rallies. If you would man up and attend a real rally like devoted members do on a regular basis (well, rallies used to be regular) it would save you a ton of grief from your sweet wife. Who, by the way would have all the help she needed to push you over a cliff if you hadn't gotten the bus running.
You gotta start now laying the groundwork for OKC in October 09. Tell Courtenay the post office is having a conference next year that you are required to attend. Do not tell her JDUB is also attending the conference. Don't say Rally, Loc. She knows those are fun. Say conference or seminar. Something like this, "Courtenay, I have got to take the bus all the way up to Oklahoma City for another damn conference next year in October. Would you and the boys like to go." See, easy, way to go LocNess you are the man!!

Good info on the security issue. Go post it under articles over on the home page so all of us that forget it can find it down the road.

Kenneth Brewer
09-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Loc,

Thanks. Good to know, before it happens.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-23-2008, 07:06 AM
So far we have three POGGERS who have had problems starting their bus and all three had issues that were easily resolved.

I nominate Loc, our master wordsmith and punster to begin an article listing things to consider when your bus will not start, and then to maintain it as other group members relate their experiences with starting. Just to help the poor guy who now works for us, the taxpayers, here are three I know about.

Rick DeSilva, tripped circuit breaker in the rear electrical box. Either 19, 20 or 21. Rick, which one, or should all be checked?

Dan Smith, bad selector switch in rear. The bus would rear start, but when the switch was in the front start position it would not start.

Loc Ness, alarm system disabled ignition system. This may not apply to coaches without a key pad, and some converter installed systems may also disable a coach, but the remedy may be specific to the system installed.

Loc
09-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Ted,

My man card was confiscated when the government took over. There is an earn out provision, but it may take longer than 2009. Thanks for your willingness to help Courtenay. Its good to know that my friends are behind me (truly behind me as eager participants willing to help push the bus off a cliff with me in it).

Jon,

I am surprised that you would want my musing on bus repairs. Having been widely accused of barely being able to drive the bus to the repair shop when something goes wrong, I am certain I am not a prime candidate for penning an article on bus repairs. As soon as I have finished the Hurricane cleanup and put the polishing touches on my resume, I will get to work. Come to think of it, I can put the internet publication of a bus repair article on my resume if I complete the task. That is sure to have some sway with the financial services industry. I am your Huckleberry.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Loc,

Don't let it go to your head. Remember, you work for the government now keep in mind the motto to which all government employees subscribe:

"We ain't happy till you're unhappy."

rickdesilva
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
my problem which left me "dead in the water", was Circuit Breaker 18 (CB 18) which is designated for the "rear engine control". That circuit breaker is in the bank of breakers in a box in the engine compartment over the engine. I believe its a 6amp breaker.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-16-2009, 06:16 AM
So far we have three POGGERS who have had problems starting their bus and all three had issues that were easily resolved.

I nominate Loc, our master wordsmith and punster to begin an article listing things to consider when your bus will not start, and then to maintain it as other group members relate their experiences with starting. Just to help the poor guy who now works for us, the taxpayers, here are three I know about.

Rick DeSilva, tripped circuit breaker in the rear electrical box. Either 19, 20 or 21. Rick, which one, or should all be checked?

Dan Smith, bad selector switch in rear. The bus would rear start, but when the switch was in the front start position it would not start.

Loc Ness, alarm system disabled ignition system. This may not apply to coaches without a key pad, and some converter installed systems may also disable a coach, but the remedy may be specific to the system installed.

Here's a recap Will.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Don't confuse things Jim. If Will was playing with the rear start selector switch and got it going all indications lead back to that as the problem. Finding the two terminals to connect together takes the switch out of the circuit and should solve his problem plus confirm it was the switch.

Within the circuit (at least on my vintage coach) is also the key switch, so if it turns out (by testing with a multi-tester) the rear switch is not the problem then look there next, but unless Will adds more info I'm guessing the three way selector switch in the rear box.

Will Garner
01-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Jon,

Nothing more to add right now. I spoke with Joe C last night and I am feeling positive the selector switch is the likely culprit. The only things I touched last night were the dash ignition switch, the inadvertant touch to the rear selector switch and the engine bay light switch. Based solely on that I would think the problem is related to one of the three. I doubt the engine bay lights or the circuit feeding them is the problem since they work like they are supposed to. I'll know more by 0900 hours this morning. Now if I just had not fixed those engine bay light fixtures two weeks ago I might be looking south right now!

Thanks Jim and Jon for the comments.