PDA

View Full Version : Mobile, Al, Oysters, Wentzels Yall come!

rfoster
09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
The infamous A1 Jon Wehenberg, and lowly King of Bling, Micki and Di have conspired to pounce on Mobile Al for Oysters, Oysters, and Oysters. This is scheduled to take place in Mobile arriving 10/23 and departing 10/27. The staging area and recovery are are at the same place

http://www.shadyacresmobile.com/map.html

you will need to call and make your own reservations.

Yall come & if you dont eat oysters, bring a can of pork n beans.:cool:

See ya there. I dont think they serve lamb.

bonhall41
09-21-2008, 11:09 PM
That's just a couple hours west of us. If we're not on the road somewhere, we'll definitely at least stop by so we can finally meet a POGger. I'm not sure where you're planning to park and when I clicked on the link, it said the page was not available or something like that. We have family in Mobile and go over often so we might stay over there for a few days. Please keep us posted.

Bonnie

Ray Davis
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Bonnie,

There was an extra "a" at the end of the previous link. Try this.

http://www.shadyacresmobile.com/map.html

Ray

bonhall41
09-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks. I had already googled and found it. Know exactly where it is. The Dog River Marina has been in Donald's family forever. Hope to see some folks there soon.

Bonnie

truk4u
09-22-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm in, but don't eat those slimy little buggers!:rolleyes: A-1 says you get wood from those things, what's that all about!:D

Danss
09-22-2008, 08:27 AM
90 minutes East of us , so see you there. Dan & Jo

Jon Wehrenberg
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
In one and one half days before the Kerrville rally Micki, Roger and I ate 320 of those oysters. Di watched.

But if you don't like oysters the seafood at Wintzels is outstanding.

Tom is trying to remember what wood is like. Clue Tom: it comes from trees and starts with acorns, not sheep.

rickdesilva
09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Doesn't that many oysters give you that 4 hour problem that they warn you about with Viagara.:eek:

rfoster
09-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Bonnie: Now if you stop by you will get to meet at least 3 or 4 POGgers. That is got to be worth the trip. We are most likely to pickup 2, 3 or even 4 more before the time arrives.

When somebody says buy fuel, drive the bus, and eat- it don't get much better in the POG group than that.:cool:

bonhall41
09-23-2008, 02:03 AM
I told Donald about it and we're in. I'll call the RV place tomorrow and make our reservations. Looking forward to meeting some of you--with or without sheep.

Bonnie

hhoppe
09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Man I love OYSTERS. What's the closest Airport. Can you pick us up or do we have to walk. I spent all of my FHA loan for fuel to get to Spearfish.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
They have an airport in Mobile. Roger has the room for you on the sofa in that big bus of his with the slide outs.

bonhall41
09-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Finally remembered to call today to make reservations. Is there anything else we need to know? Looking forward to getting together soon.

Bonnie

P.S. Should we bring the margarita machine?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Just show up with your appetite. Roger is our activities director and he has assigned cleaning duties for his coach just like he did in Spearfish.

He works up an appetite supervising the crew.

rfoster
09-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Jon:

I believe you are learning faster now than you used to. I may let you help in the supervision of the cleaning process. I need more free time.

Come on down Harry. Truck is going to be staying in a tent with his sheep, maybe he has room for you too.

hobobimmer
09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I just made our reservations. We're looking forward to it. Deb, Eric, Jay Faires

phorner
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Looks like this is shaping up to be quite an event.

We'll see you there too!! :D

rfoster
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Eric: Glad to hear you and family are going to make it.

I called 1 800 Bailout today and some guy said "Your out".

I hope I don't have to sleep with the sheep.

dale farley
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Paulette and I are trying to get reservations.

rmboies
09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Sure wish we could all attend with you!!! We spent the night there with Roger, Micki, Jon and Di on our way to Kerrville last year and even if you don't eat oysters the restaurant has other great food!

Have fun for us please!! Who knows, maybe the mini rally in Florida will be one we can attend. Just depends on how Bob progresses......

Debi

rfoster
09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Bob05/Deb: Hope that Bob and You are well and are getting along as good as can be expected. We are going to miss seeing you and your gorgeous ride at the Big Oyster feed. We will certainly down a few in your honor.
Do you think Ms Pinkie? is still there? I can't remember her name for sure.

It appears to be shaping up nicely with Bonhall41 & margarita machine,, Eric, Deb & Jay, Janice & Phil, Truk4u & Nancy, Rfoster & Micki, & Jon & Di W. Possible Dale and Paulette, any more?

I am sure Mobile has more Oysters than this bunch can eat.. How about it Dan and Jo?

truk4u
09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Deb,

Hows big Bob doing and do you have him reading the POG Forum for fun and entertainment yet?:D

bonhall41
09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Debi,
Sorry you won't be able to join the group in Mobile. Donald and I will look forward to meeting you at some future POG rally. We'll make sure to toast all the missing members with a margarita and a dozen or two! :D

Bonnie

dale farley
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
We got reservations today, so we should be there also.

truk4u
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I can't get in, they're booked and no space!:mad:

rmboies
09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Deb,
Hows big Bob doing and do you have him reading the POG Forum for fun and entertainment yet?:D

Hey Tom,

I have given him my laptop to use and now that he is gaining some strength back he can actually roll into the office and sit at his desktop computer once a day if he feels up to it. Just two weeks tomorrow since the massive surgery and on the 16th we go for x-rays in Charlotte to see how the bone grafts are doing and make sure his new bionic parts haven't moved out of the country;) All in all, I think he is progressing very well. He loves reading POG entertainment so liven it up guys! I can't believe they don't have space for you, we need to get on to miss Pinkie (Roger, not sure if that was her name or not--ha~!)

Debi

rmboies
09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Debi,
Sorry you won't be able to join the group in Mobile. Donald and I will look forward to meeting you at some future POG rally. We'll make sure to toast all the missing members with a margarita and a dozen or two! :D
Bonnie

We're sorry too Bonnie but there will be another meet once we are able to be on the road again. Yes, toasting absentee POG members is a requirement.

Hey Roger, you and Micki have all the oysters you want for us, you know we stay away from the slippery things:eek: Thank you for thinking of us, we love our POG buds!

Debi

bonhall41
09-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Tom,
Do they have a waiting list or anything? I'll check to see if anyone we know knows anyone they know. Donald's family is from that area but I guess if there's no room, there's no room. It's worth a phone call anyway. I'll let you know if we have any luck but don't hold your breath. I just can't imagine that they would be full that time of year. I didn't think Mobile got that many "snowbirds" and that's too early for them anyway. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Bonnie

Danss
09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Dan & Jo are in. We made resv. this morning without any problem

Jon Wehrenberg
09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Tom was told to get crackin' and he fell on his head. Call them back Tom and tell them you will camp until a space opens up. I think some of the spaces are so wide you can fit between a couple of us. We can even cheat and run a power cord to your tent.

Or you and Nancy can sleep on Roger's sofa.

truk4u
09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Bonnie - Thanks, I asked about a wait list, but they said to call back in a few weeks to see if anyone cancelled. I know the Poggers won't cancel, so don't know what all they have going. She did take my phone number.

A-1 - Rogers sofa gets wet when it rains, remember, he has slides.:p

lewpopp
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm kept out of the loop on a lot of things and I hope Bobo comes out of his operation with flying colors. I don't really know what operation he had, but, you don't need to graft bones when inserting one in the penis. I don't speak from experience but was just wondering if he had one inserted with a hinge on it.

Now, damn, bob, if you don't get a chuckle out of that start over.

Roger. Did Janice get rid of Paul on her travels this summer? You refer to them as Janice and Phil. Amazing on how we learn things. You have referred to them twice or 3 times like that. Are you getting as old a Harry.

Harry...By the way, if something is due to be done ( not do) go ahead and do it. A "DO" is something you gride gets done to her hair. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, you ole grouch.

dale farley
09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Tom,

I called yesterday, and they said there was no space. She told me to call back today, and they would try to locate one. When I called back, she said they had a space. Hopefully, something will come open for you too.

bonhall41
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Tom,
I called my brother-in-law who is in a number of organizations in Mobile to try to find someone who knows the owners. He said he would do some checking around and see what he could find out. I can't believe that all 92 spaces are booked for that time of year. Again, keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. In the meantime, I would try calling them again. :p

Bonnie

rfoster
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Lew: Thanks for pointing that out. Let me say that I am sorry to Paul about the mistaken Identity. I knew that his name was Paul, my fingers just didn't follow instructions.

As far as getting old as Harry-- I hope so. And maybe get as old as you, you ole fart.

Glad to see you are paying attention and not just taxes.

Jim Skiff
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
OK Ovis aries, you sold your bus but can't get a parking spot in Mobile? Could you inform members of what's going on or do we have to call around to sponsors and see if you've been lurking around in Florida again.:eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
For the less erudite on this forum here's a little help:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Ovis_aries.html

The short version is Skiffer called Tom "sheep boy" or something like that.

phorner
10-01-2008, 11:56 AM
:
Lew: Thanks for pointing that out. Let me say that I am sorry to Paul about the mistaken Identity. I knew that his name was Paul, my fingers just didn't follow instructions.

As far as getting old as Harry-- I hope so. And maybe get as old as you, you ole fart.

Glad to see you are paying attention and not just taxes.

No problem Roger.....

I just assumed that you were still under that "new bus" delirium and would eventually retain your stability :D

bonhall41
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Do you think the campground has an idea about what to expect and so has closed reservations for POGgers? Who could have told them about the sheep invasion? Have y'all been there before? Perhaps there is some kind of campground underground and they have been warned by previous rally hosts.

Just got a call from my brother-in-law in Mobile. They rode down to check out the site. He said it is almost full with full-timers (camping trailers) and there probably aren't 20 sites open. We're going to check with Donald's cousin who owns the Dog River Marina and another cousin who owns the boatyard on the river to see if they have any suggestions. One of them might even have camping sites but don't know if you could get a big rig in there.

Stay tuned for further info. :D

Bonnie

truk4u
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
I called back today and asked why Roadrunner got such preferential treatment and they said Roadbird had priority. Claims he told them he was experienced in campground management after a short employ with Yellowstone and he knew the Mayor. :p

I said I'm a personal friend of A-1 and the guy says, "your in."

No Moderation Boy - Don't you have fire wood to stack?

rfoster
10-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Another chapter in the Fame of A1, known and respected by the bus community everywhere.

Or did they say: Is that the guy who eats all the oysters?

dale farley
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Tom, I'm glad to hear you got things worked out, even if it did require dropping Jon's name and using mine in vain.

bonhall41
10-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Glad it all worked out. We'll see you in a few weeks.

The oysters are running huge right now. My son had a dozen at lunch today and they were the biggest ones I've ever seen. They were from Appalachicola. Don't know where Wintzell's gets theirs but the TX and LA beds are supposed to be closed now since the hurricanes.

Bonnie

bonhall41
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Since we're rally virgins, I have a couple questions. Does everyone do their own thing or are there any "organized" activities? Do you do anything like a potluck or get-together? Any info would be appreciated. :confused:

Bonnie

P.S. Are we responsible for bringing our own sheep?

Jon Wehrenberg
10-02-2008, 06:39 AM
This appears to be shaping up like some other impromptu rallies.

It is just a bunch of folks who happen to show up at the same place at the same time. No plans (except to eat lots of oysters, or to watch someone eat lots of oysters), no rallymaster, no schedule, no agenda, no activities, no nuthin.

We had a mini rally in Port St. Lucie in January this year. The agenda was identical to this one. It ended up being one of the best we have been to. Grant surprised us with helicopter rides. Jim C. treated us to a beer and pizza party, and several POGGERS regaled us with an evening of jokes that left our bellies hurting because we laughed so much.

We had birthday cake at Eric and Debbie's, and Jay entertained us with his guitar playing. We gathered for hot dogs for lunch one afternoon and we all just kicked back and relaxed. In the middle of all this everybody would go shopping, ride bikes, or just mess around with each other's coaches, like bleeding moisture from someone's air tanks.

Every now and then we all need to get away and have nothing to do except goof off.

And judging by the list of attendees, there will be a bunch of goofs.

If you show up with no expectations whatsoever it will be impossible to disappoint you. Virgins???????

bonhall41
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info. We're looking forward to it. :D

Bonnie

bonhall41
10-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Donald would like to know if any of the guys are taking motorcycles and, if so, what kind. Also, we would like to host a shrimp boil (some people call it a Low Country boil) on Friday evening. Everyone will probably be anxious to hit Wintzell's on Thursday evening so we thought Friday would be better. It would be nice to have some kind of idea how many are interested so we know how much shrimp, etc. to bring. It will be a laid back menu of the boil and margaritas. Bring your own anything else. :D

Bonnie

Danss
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM
You got shrimp and we will bring Gumbo! Dan & Jo

phorner
10-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Count us in, just let us know what we can bring!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
We're in. I'm still pigging out on oysters for lunch, but my appetite has a fast recovery.

What can we bring?

rfoster
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Bonnie:
That sounds great- what can we bring? Dessert? Looking forward to seeing everyone Thursday. We've got 600 miles to cover and we may slip off Wed afternoon and get a few miles under our belt before Thursday.

Sorry, No motorcycles here.

bonhall41
10-06-2008, 03:15 PM
We just drove through the campground. Not much to look at. There's one Prevost there now. Y'all can bring whatever you want--or nothing. We'll provide margaritas and the shrimp boil (sausage, potatoes, corn and shrimp) along with the accompaniments (cocktail sauce, butter, etc.). We already have an offer of gumbo (yum!) and dessert. We'll also have plates, utensils, etc. See ya soon. :D

Bonnie

bonhall41
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
P.S. It's going to be a tight turn from Dauphin Island Parkway onto Old Military Road--especially if there are any cars on the side road. You might want to consider going through the shopping center parking lot instead. We'll check it out for sure and let you know.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Something tells me this one is gonna be a real good time.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
P.S. It's going to be a tight turn from Dauphin Island Parkway onto Old Military Road--especially if there are any cars on the side road. You might want to consider going through the shopping center parking lot instead. We'll check it out for sure and let you know.

We are professionals. We turn wide and back up an entire row of cars if we have to. That intersection needs the stop line for the turn lane set back so if we can tie up a little traffic in our travel to the campground maybe they will get the hint.

dale farley
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
We'll bring peach cobbler.

lewpopp
10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Someone who is there early have a camera ready to take pictures of Jon holding up traffic. Get the pictures and don't be one of those who Jon paid off like he did Roger on the last turn.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Someone who is there early have a camera ready to take pictures of Jon holding up traffic. Get the pictures and don't be one of those who Jon paid off like he did Roger on the last turn.

But Lew, at least in his post Jon admits he held up traffic???

That is unless he "edits" his post and takes out the incriminating evidence???:D

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Gentlemen.....and I am being very generous here. There is a huge distinction between intentionally bullying people who steal needed real estate at a stop light from trucks and buses making turns and unintentionally blocking a major highway.

Clearly I am speaking hypothetically about blocking a major highway since no proof exists (witness reports tend to be unreliable).

The last time we made the turn onto Old Military Road the King and I just did fine, taking whatever space we needed. If I recall there were only a few cars there and they gladly yielded to the big buses, especially when it became evident that the big buses were in their lane and they needed to back up.

Another nasty intersection like this one comes to mind. Anyone that has been to Tropical Palms in Kissimmee knows that turning off of 192 onto the road to the RV park has the same conditions, and that turn has had so many RVs cut the corner short that the curb and sidewalk have been pulverized and turned to sand all because drivers did not take the space they needed to stay off the curb and sidewalk.

I think I will let Roger lead the way around that corner. I will have my camera ready.

dale farley
10-07-2008, 08:15 AM
This sounds like a serious turn in Mobile. Miki and Paulette were both praticing their bus driving skills while returning from Spearfish, so maybe we can get them to make this turn for us.

bonhall41
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I am glad to hear that other women are driving. At Featherlite, they said they don't know of another woman who drives. We've had RVs for years and I have always driven as much as Donald--even when pulling stacker trailers.

Oysterfest sounds as if it's shaping up to be quite a party. We're looking forward to it.

We can definitely get there early and be on camera duty at DIP and Old Military. :D

Bonnie

phorner
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
When turning, I tend to use every inch available to me.... as full-timers, everything I own and hold dear is riding on those eight tires and I don't care how much traffic backs up if some traffic engineer failed to design an intersection with a reasonable turning radius. There's a valet parking supervisor in Connecticut that will attest to that :eek:

Most drivers with a lick of sense will not crowd an intersection when a bus is bearing down on them.

However, if the situation requires, I've been known to stop in the middle of everything to un-hook the Jeep and do whatever I gotta do :D

No turn is gonna deny us entrance to the POG Oyster Fest !!

rfoster
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Bonnie with a camera at the difficult intersection? Sounds like more than oysters will be swallowed at the POG Oysterfest.

Bonnie: When we were in Santa Fe, NM. at a POG Rally, Jdub showed me a trick involving cash. It didn't work for him as the teacher as well as it did for me the student. It is called Payola, Bribe, Take, Beneys. Sounds to me like you might be an enterprising individual.

I will certainly be careful when making the turn and let A1 lead the way. He is a lot more photo-genic if you know what I mean

Jon Wehrenberg
10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
No way Jose. You are making that turn. I will hang back and watch with my camera in my hand.

We need to gather all the coaches just off I-10 and all make that turn at once, but not before calling the news media.

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Me thinks with his IFS Roger has the edge :cool:

truk4u
10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Bonnie,

This is the master of bribery the King is talking about:

jonnie
10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Oyster Lovers,

I just called for a reservation and Charlie said " Y'all come down". Can Nancy and I join the fun? I will bring some really great Cleveland beer to enjoy with the oysters or shrimp.

John

rfoster
10-07-2008, 10:31 PM
We welcome all POG folks, even if they talk funny, and have a different type of metal on their bus.

This Oysterfest may have to become an annual event -Looks like a great turnout for no real agenda except to eat oysters at Wentzels.

Jim Skiff, what if you were to serve Lobster, what kind of turn out could you generate?

bonhall41
10-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Of course, I'm enterprising. How do you think we paid for this big ole bus?! As I said, we have family in Mobile so the media thing can be arranged but I might want to retain the photo rights myself.

Glad to hear that we're picking up more people. Could the good beer be POC? I don't know if they even make it anymore.

We drove through the campground again today and Donald's brother said it had more empty spaces than when he checked it out last week. Looks as if they're also scraping out a few more sites so they're definitely getting ready for us. Y'all come on down and they'll be glad to move some more dirt.

Bonnie

P.S. Bring cash for the photos. I don't know you well enough yet to take your credit cards. Actually, maybe I've found out just enough...;)

jonnie
10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Roger,

Thanks, we are really trying to get there! By the way we don't talk funny, you listen funny!!!

jonnie
10-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Bonnie,

Sorry no POC. However, the Great Lakes Brewing Company makes a great called Dortmunder Gold. Great Stuff!

John

bonhall41
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Sounds like a perfectly good substitute. :D

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-08-2008, 05:10 AM
P O C, Pride Of Cleveland.
All the past great breweries of Cleveland are gone.

There is now a better one, Great Lakes Brewery.
The beer Jonnie will bring is the best anyone can obtain anywhere!!!!!!!!!:D

Jon Wehrenberg
10-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Jim,

Quit evading the issue we all want to hear about. Are you in the blingmobile yet and are you bringing it to Mobile?

Or are you afraid to have Barb meet the bunch of misfits likely to show up?

truk4u
10-08-2008, 08:04 AM
What's up with this Campground! A week ago they were sold out and now have lots of room.:rolleyes:

Come join us Jonnie Boy, your safe and sound from the Turd Boys this time around, so point that Eagle south and make smoke..

bonhall41
10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I told you, Tom, they're actually scraping out some new sites. They're that excited to get as many POGsters as possible.

FYI: Videos of the DIP/Old Military corner will, of course, be considerably more expensive but we can probably work out a package deal. Please e-mail me your (or someone else's) ETA ahead of time or call to set up your "appointment". My cell is 800-667-4337.

Really, it's 850-240-1676 and please don't wait until you're exiting I-10. I might be enterprising but I don't want to stand on that street corner all day. (Insert your own joke here.):D

Bonnie

jonnie
10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Bonnie,

That could be interesting! Appropriate attire required.

John

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
No, sorry to say we will not be coming to the Oyster Feast.

I have the door in the barn and await the driveway people.

Still trying to figure out how and when we can both leave here at once!

We plan to spend a few days in Texas and then proceed home at the rate of 300 miles a day.

After waiting so long to find the perfect bus, this waiting doesn't bother me.

It is quite amazing how many things there are to do and get ready to take a trip in a vehicle that you have never seen and is 1400 miles away at the start point, let alone the formalities of title and insurance.

dale farley
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I think this is a list of the planned attendees.

Jon & Di
Roger & Miki
Tom & Nancy
Dan & Jo
Dale & Paulette
Donald & Bonnie
Ed & Sandy
Eric, Deb & Jay
Paul & Janice
John & Nancy

Jon Wehrenberg
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Is that all? It seemed like there was more.

dale farley
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
There may be someone I missed. If so, let me know, and I will add them to the list. I think some more of the Florida crew should show up; maybe Jim & Karen or Mike & Karen.

rfoster
10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Dale: I remember Ed and Sandy Brockman are coming too!:cool:

JIM KELLER
10-08-2008, 04:55 PM
There may be someone I missed. If so, let me know, and I will add them to the list. I think some more of the Florida crew should show up; maybe Jim & Karen or Mike & Karen.

Jim and Karen wish we could attend but I think we just got in a little too deep on the house renovations. Things are finally coming to completion and perhaps we will be able to travel soon. One think I know for sure. We have too much stuff !

Thanks for thinking about us.

dale farley
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Roger, I added them to the list. If we can get 8 more, we will have as many as Spearfish.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-10-2008, 08:41 AM
So what is it that you have to do to these slimy little things before you eat them. Shuck, and then hold your nose?

For those of us who are ignorant to all this a detailed explanation with photos would be very helpful.

I can feel the mojo all the way up in Chicago.

Who is sending the care packages to Mango and Jerry?

dale farley
10-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Joe,

Don't be fooled by all this hype. A few of us don't eat these slimy little things. Most people who do eat them, pour enough hot sauce on them to kill any possible taste the oyster might have. I guess I will have to take some pork n beans.

Actually, I can enjoy some good fried flounder or shrimp while they are eating those slimy things. The Good Lord invented fire so people wouldn't have to eat "raw" oysters. Wentzels is an excellent seafood restaurant and one of the most popular in the South.

bonhall41
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
We'll be glad to send a care package of oysters to Mango and Jerry. Of course, with the recent downturn in the economy, we won't be able to afford expedited shipping. :D

Bonnie

10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Mango being from the chesapeake Bay area must eat Oysters. A big Chesapeake Bay favorite is an Oyster Po Boy sandwich, fried Oyster sandwich.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I personally want to thank every one of you that refuses to eat oysters. That leaves more for me. When Micki and Roger and I get serious we have been know to threaten the ecological balance in the gulf, and after the last episode we learned oysters were being considered an endangered species.

Fortunately we have great restraint and the oyster population has thrived in our absence, primarily because people who lack a sense of adventure will not eat them. Thank you folks again. It is very much appreciated.

bonhall41
10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I would think that being from the Chesapeake Bay area he would be more familiar with crabs. ;)

Bonnie

10-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I can't speak for Mango, but having lived in Annapolis for a long time one would conclude that Chesapeake Bay Crabs with bay seasoning would be a summer time tradition, spread out on paper with plenty of beer. The lower bay, Virginia area especially on the Eastern shore really embraces the Oyster the old fashion way. Unfortunately the Upper bay in Maryland has lost the Oyster from water pollution.

Will Garner
10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Several years ago when in Baltimore visiting my parents I arranged to take about 35 crab cakes back to NC. I was the lead engineer for traffic management at the North Carolina Motor Speedway ("The Rock") and wanted to give my crews a Baltimore taste treat. Well when I picked up the cakes from a restaurant in Pikesville MD, the owner told me this is some well traveled crab meat. Seems it was flown in that morning from Gulf Shoals (Shores?) Alabama and it was going on a road trip back south for another 500 miles to NC. Everyone really enjoyed the cakes and wanted me to do the same for the next event. The NCSHP Captain had the last one and just loved it. :D

Moral of the story is who really knows where their crabs came from!

Later ...

truk4u
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
From past Rally's and working with hot oil, Mango is the Crab Cake King!:D

dalej
10-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Tom! your new ride should be arriving soon, I talked to Brian a couple of days ago when he passed our exit on I-80.

lewpopp
10-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Jon,

You mentioned that Micki, Roger and you were the experts on the slimey seafood, and anyone who didn't enjoy them were not adventerous.

It seem to me that the most adventerous person on the face of the earth is Di, and being married to you she is a pioneer facing the raths of the POGGERS. Di doesn't go for them? I look up to her for taking care of herself.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Di is a generous person and she avoids raw oysters and fried liver, so in that way there is more for me. I in turn avoid lima beans so she can have an endless supply.

lewpopp
10-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Jon, during your confab in Alabama you might discuss coming to PSL ORA for another 3 free nights on us. You cannot use the same coupon that was used before if whomever has use one here. But...the original coupon is usable for those who never originally use it.

This 3 free days is an internet coupon and will be accepted from all. You have to download and print the coupon from the site.

We have no big parties planned at this time but we have a board member who thinks he's Christ and he may plan a rocket launch from next to Roger's site.

rfoster
10-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Is that the same guy who tried to wake me up last time by landing almost on top of my bus? Tell him to hold the noise down, I need my beauty sleep.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
10-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Di is a generous person and she avoids raw oysters and fried liver, so in that way there is more for me. I in turn avoid lima beans so she can have an endless supply.

Look our Di :eek:!!!!!! If Jon eats all the oysters he says he is going to eat, you are in BIG trouble!!! Oysters are aphrodesiacs.:D
Sandy

Jon Wehrenberg
10-12-2008, 07:13 AM
So tell us Sandy, you know this because???????

rmboies
10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
From past Rally's and working with hot oil, Mango is the Crab Cake King!:D

Hey Tom, don't you mean that the POG ladies are the king of crab cakes??? Remember this photo from Sevierville?:D I cannot even remember how many crab cakes we made that night but true, it was Mango's recipe and they are the best!!

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
So tell us Sandy, you know this because???????

I learned about it while going to Nursing School;) I promise;)

truk4u
10-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Deb,

You are correct, I had a flashback to Santa Fe, but you ladies did a much better job and you LOOK GREAT...;)

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
10-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Now that we are in on what looks like a great time, Where is this RV campground located? All I said was "we are in". I called the number, given to us by DAN and Jo, and was told by the campground "Come on, we have room for you". Uh.....does anyone have the address for the ole GPS to get us there? I admit that I didn't ask:(
We just got home from the Spearfish trip 2 days ago after touring a few towns on the way home. I am afraid to call and get the address from the campground because they might tell me on this call, there is no room. Who knows? After all,on one call there is NO room and the next call there IS room-"come on"!:confused: When I called, the man said,"Are you with that big bus group?" I didn't know whether to say yes or no.:rolleyes: Do they know all about this crowd?:D
Sandy

Danss
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Go to this site http://www.shadyacresmobile.com/map.html and get the map,
it is just off of I-10.
My son is now in Key West somewhere, as he and several friends took the boat down from here.
I think he is planning to do some fishing until weekend and then head back.
Had very rough trip down.

bonhall41
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Sandy,
Glad y'all are going to make it. Obviously, the POG reputation has preceded us. The campground is really easy to find.

From I-10 take the Dauphin Island Parkway (Alabama 163 ? )exit and go south. I'm not sure of the exit number. Turn right at the first traffic light (Old Military Road) and go down about a mile where the campground (Shady Acres) is on the right.

As I said earlier, they're literally making more spaces as the reservations come in. They recognized a golden opportunity and are taking advantage of it. They scrape out a flat spot and fill it in with some gravel. Voila! Another $35 (or whatever) a night.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon. :)

Bonnie

dale farley
10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Sandy, This is the address:

Shady Acres Campground
2500 Old Military Road
Mobile, Alabama 36605 USA

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
10-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Thank you all for your response on the location. See you there.

DANNS - where did your son dock the boat?

Ed and Sandy

Danss
10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
The boat is the "GOT ME ROCKING" at the 48" sports fisherman at Conch Harbor Marina slip 12a he thinks. You probaly can't miss it with clothes hanging around drying out like a bunch of rednecks. Condensate on Air is stopped up so they are trying to fix, among a few other things. Check them out, name is Russell. Dan

bonhall41
10-19-2008, 08:22 PM
We're packing the bus and have the shrimp pot and margarita machine aboard already. If it's OK with everyone, we'll plan to shrimp down about 6 Friday evening. We can crank up the margarita machine at any time. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Thursday.

Bonnie

jonnie
10-20-2008, 08:28 AM
I guess I won't be bringing the beer to Mobile. It seems the house renovation is not going to be done on time and the boss says we are staying at home. I will probably just have to drink all that Dortmunder Gold by myself, but I can handle it. Seriously disappointed, but life will go on. Enjoy the oysters and the party.

John

dale farley
10-20-2008, 08:39 AM
John, We hate that you can't come. Who's bus are we going to tape "Prevost" on?

Maybe Roger and I can tape "Country Coach" on the side of Jon's Liberty. It's about time he gets an upgrade.

rfoster
10-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Jonnie: You should be like A1, get so excited about the Oysterfest, that you leave out early to arrive early to get an early start eating Oysters.

Household repairs or renovations shouldn't get in the way of a bus trip.

Sorry you can't make it- look forward to seeing you next time.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I've been working. I have been pulling up my boy carrots and putting air in the bus tires.

I also gave Winzells a heads up on the rowdy crowd and the size of the mob. If we want they will even set up a big table for us, but due to the insults about trying to make my fine Liberty look like one of them converted CC schoolies I may just want to sit by myself, next to the oyster shucker.

Ole Charlie at Shady Acres wasn't aware of the riff raff he is about to have descend upon him. I've been warning him.

bonhall41
10-20-2008, 03:20 PM
John, we're really sorry that you won't be coming to Oysterfest but a true sport would send the beer anyway. :D

Bonnie

jonnie
10-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Bonnie,

Fortunately, I have already consumed this delicious nectar from the god's.

John

rfoster
10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Just got a call from another Country Coach Couple--Jim and Karen Keller will be arriving Shady Acres in Mobile Thrusday PM to indulge in the festivites and to admire all the coaches in attendance. Especially the Country ones.

Jim says it is a 500 mile trip from their place in Florida. Safe travels to all.

Welcome Jim and Karen.

Jim stated when he called Ole Charlie says "come on down we got room."

Anybody else?

rfoster
10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Mobile Attendees:

Just got a call from Ol Charlie at Shady Acres Campground. He wanted to let everyone know that he has 45 foot coaches making the right turn onto Old Military Road all the time but occassionaly he has a driver state "boy that is a hard right turn to make".

He suggested that if there is a car coming out of Old Military Road to get on the Parkway you may have to wait till the car is out of the way OR you can go on past the turn and make a left into a mall parking lot 1 mile down the road and come back to Old Military Rd and turn left making it a long sweeping turn and therefore easier. He also said not to attempt to turn around prior to the mall, cause it won't be easy. Go to the mall parking lot!

Now having said all that Bonnie has posted her phone number so that she can take photos of those having to backup (LOL) or even driving by to turn around in the mall parking lot.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Eric told me he will lead the way onto Old Military Road so all I have to do is follow him.

He said something about driving a bus is easy, and backing up with the Jeep hooked on is easier. At least that's what I think he said.

bonhall41
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I can't believe nobody picked up on the 800 number I first listed as my cell phone. The second one is really my number but the first one, if you look at the numbers, spells 800-NOS-HEEP. I will be most happy to take photo evidence of (or lack of) driving skills turning onto Old Military from DIP unless we're off somewhere eating oysters. We're planning to go over fairly early so we don't miss any of the frivolity. :p

Bonnie

phorner
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
We're on our way, having stopped for the night along I-10.

Should be making that right hand turn sometime tomorrow before lunch :)

It almost can't be as bad as some that we've encountered so far this summer!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
They are driving something other than a Liberty with the tight turn radius feature.

And the sound deadening so we don't hear the pedestrians at the curb that we just ran over.

phorner
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, we made it in to Shady Acres this morning without a problem. That right turn onto Old Military Road is a bit tight.....

We only had one car back up when he saw the front of the bus headed toward his windshield as we used "all the room available"....:eek:

And only the tag tire rolled up over the inside curb...:D

But unscathed and successful we were without wimping out to turn around at the mall.

Hey, if it wuz easy.... then everybody would be doin' it !!

Hope everyone has a safe and uneventful journey...

bonhall41
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Good job! We'll see you tomorrow morning.

Bonnie

phorner
10-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Some pictures of some of the early arrivals at Shady Acres.... some have already hit the oyster supply hard! :D

dalej
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Paul, can you put names along with the bus so everyone know who owns what e.g. see photos below.

phorner
10-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Dale,

That beautiful H3 belongs to Donald, Bonnie & Casey (the puppy princess) Hall

Sorry, but I'm not yet skilled enough to label the pix! :mad:

Thanks for your editing!!!:D

bonhall41
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the ID. However, right now the "beautiful H3" has sprung a leak and we're missing out on oysters. The rest of the group is on the way to Wintzell's right now and I'm waiting for Donald to get back with some caulk that he can apply in the rain. We have water coming into the galley area from under the microwave. He got up on the ladder and said it's obvious where a seam has split so, hopefully, we can get it taken care of since it's supposed to rain all night. Our son is off today so he's here helping with the repair. Donald just got back so maybe we'll be able to join everyone soon. The weather is supposed to clear up by midday tomorrow so we're hoping for good weather for the shrimp boil tomorrow evening. Wish y'all could be here! :D

Bonnie

phorner
10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Some pix from the "Official" POG Oyster Fest. Wintzell's Oyster House will probably never be quite the same.

A special thanks to Miss Pinky for all her efforts to make sure everyone (well, most everyone) had a steady supply of oysters...:D

phorner
10-23-2008, 08:25 PM
More Pix...

lewpopp
10-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey Mr. Keller,

Did you take your Waterford glass to the restaurant and leave it. I'll never forgive you for your absent minded move at PSL. You drove 25 of us nuts and the garbage cans were never the same.

garyde
10-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Great photos, looks like a great time. Hi Bonnie, duct tape and Saran wrap is good in a pinch to keep the rain out.

MangoMike
10-23-2008, 11:49 PM
With Trukman downing all those oysters I'm a little worried about the sheep. Could be a long night.

bonhall41
10-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Gary. We have some kind of black tarry goop on there now. Seems to be working so far. I'm sure Jon will be able to tell us tomorrow what we should use for a permanent repair--after the rain stops.

Bonnie

truk4u
10-24-2008, 09:29 AM
None of those slimey buggers for me Mikee, but Di is the one to be concerned about!:eek:

phorner
10-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Oyster Fest Entertainment Pix...

phorner
10-24-2008, 10:33 PM
And of course, the Shrimp Boil...

WOW!!!!

dalej
10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I got'a tell ya....I wished we were there!!

garyde
10-24-2008, 11:26 PM
All of those Oysters! I heard today Lobster was down to a 20 year low in price. a discretionary income thing. What say you skiffer?

Jamie Bradford
10-24-2008, 11:49 PM
My Goodnes .............What a spread....................

Bonnie took care of us...............

Joe Cannarozzi
10-24-2008, 11:51 PM
What was in the blender:confused::eek:

Jamie Bradford
10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
pics from feast

bonhall41
10-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Joe, they're blue margaritas. :D

Bonnie

rickdesilva
10-25-2008, 07:03 AM
I gotta retire and get on the road!

JIM KELLER
10-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey Mr. Keller,

Did you take your Waterford glass to the restaurant and leave it. I'll never forgive you for your absent minded move at PSL. You drove 25 of us nuts and the garbage cans were never the same.

Lew, Karen and I are drinking out of plastic these days since I am not responsible enough to keep track of my glass. Thanks for reminding me of my second mistake this year. If we are ever invited back to your community I promise to know where my "plastic" glass is at all times.

jonnie
10-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Those of us still working may be on the road sooner than we expected!

truk4u
10-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Ya'll are missing a good one, A-1 is working towards 300 oysters in 3 days!:eek: Most of the CC's are broke down, we've been working on one at a time.:D Jamie can't get Sat, Jim has a fuzzy TV and Dale lost his girlfriend in a box and the King has an air leak and can't inflate his rubber.

The Liberty's, no problems that I'm aware of!:p

lewpopp
10-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I guess this all means that as soon as this party breaks up, the crime wave will spread thru out the southern US. I would think that dissentary would spread also. Truk, keep your finger on that problem, will ya. Or, your full hand if that won't quell the rush.

lewpopp
10-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Jim Keller,

You mentioned that "if you were ever invited back". You are cordially invited for another 3 free nite stay at your convenience if you download the coupon on the ORA site.

Millenium is bring 2 or 3 coaches around the 10the of November so I'm told. I will look it up and post the facts.

But really Jim, your wife is the better half, so don't leave home without her.

What a come down it has been for you to use plastic cups. After the first one, who knows the difference.

rfoster
10-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Some of the reports on this forum are like the Liberal News media. Not always totally accurate. Just one side.

Truk is bashing the CC guys, cause he has no sheep. He's has slipped off somewhere and ate some oysters, but denies it. Now he's lonely. Can ya'll send him some sheep.

Baaaaaaaaah.

JIM KELLER
10-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Jim Keller,

You mentioned that "if you were ever invited back". You are cordially invited for another 3 free nite stay at your convenience if you download the coupon on the ORA site.

Millenium is bring 2 or 3 coaches around the 10the of November so I'm told. I will look it up and post the facts.

But really Jim, your wife is the better half, so don't leave home without her.

What a come down it has been for you to use plastic cups. After the first one, who knows the difference.

Thanks Lew.

phorner
10-26-2008, 09:13 AM
It wouldn't be a POG event without a couple of wrenches being turned...:D

phorner
10-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Some visited the USS Alabama..... WELL worth seeing. Access to this battleship is extraordinary.

rmboies
10-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow, we sure are missing a good time in Mobile!! Ah well, maybe next year and I think you need to call those "Smurf" margarita's, Micki's favorites as I recall??:D Glad ya'll are having such fun!

Debi and Bob-05 last I looked!

Jamie Bradford
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Dear & I got back to Chattanooga......

We had a GREAT time meeting everyone:p

I bought an air guage on the way home @ Pilot and will use it all the time now.....

Curious ??????????? What was the final oyster count for " you know who "

Great Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Jamie

truk4u
10-26-2008, 10:15 PM
192 last report at Noon today!

truk4u
10-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Jamie,

Is there something you would like to share about the tire gauge purchase?:cool:

phorner
10-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Last night of the Oyster Fest.... saying goodbye to friends and a final steak dinner cookout....

phorner
10-26-2008, 10:52 PM
And, a final campfire....

Safe and uneventful travels to everyone....

lewpopp
10-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Truk,

I'll ask this before JDUB does. If the count was 192 on the oysters, were they counted on the way in or on the way out?

sawdust_128
10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Lew: Way too much info.

lewpopp
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Dusty,

Stop repeating yourself, I heard you the first time!

MangoMike
10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
I think we have found the nickname.

mm

rfoster
10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Last night of Oysters by A1, Di, Micki, me and joined by non Oyster eating Dale and Paulette.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG4296.jpg

We had 10 buses from POG members and visit to the CG from two more Non POG Prevost owners. We had a super good time and enjoyed all the good company including the Great Shrimp Boil performed by Bonnie and Don Hall-- it was the best, many thanks to Bonnie and Don.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG4269.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG4276.jpg

rfoster
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
We also appreciate the great entertainment provided by the POG Traveling Band, starring in no order: Jay, Debbie and Eric Faires, Ed and Sandy Brockman, and Rock and Roll Dan from DanSS fame. It was great!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG4264-1.jpg

We are already talking about a return to Mobile in April 09, -- Mark your calendar and leave a spot for the No Agenda, No Schedule, No nothing but goofing off and eating mini Rally.

Plus I am sure the Harbor Freight Store would like to see all the guys again.

POG Rules!

sawdust_128
10-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey Dusty,

Stop repeating yourself, I heard you the first time!

Lew back on the meds. Quick!!

MangoMike
10-29-2008, 10:45 PM

As a restaurant guy I have to tell you I'm impressed.

Nice job Bonnie.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
10-30-2008, 07:15 AM
As an eater, I was impressed. Bonnie and Don did a great job.

bonhall41
10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
It was a piece of cake but it's nice to have an appreciative audience. :p We do this all the time at home but this is the first time we've taken our show on the road. We finally gave away the last of the potato/shrimp salad and 7-layer dip when we got home. Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.

By the way, don't give away the tight turn award too soon. Donald might be a contender. :(

Bonnie

Jon Wehrenberg
10-30-2008, 05:43 PM
OK, Bonnie don't leave us hanging. We know Don ain't on the computer so tell us the whole story.

Dale is afraid he is going to get the award unless don did something that can top Dale's oops.

In your case we will need independent verification since you share wheel time so get your ducks in a row and start posting the real story.

BTW, Don has already done some body work on the H3, only this time is was not his fault. He was plugging a hole in the swimming pool on the roof which was draining down through the oven. The pictures tell the story.......

bonhall41
10-30-2008, 10:55 PM
You're good, Jon. Let's just say, until we have photographic proof, that we have one ruined tire (don't know how that happened) and one busted side light on the slightly bent rub rail. Donald will be home before me but probably won't have these little problems taken care of before next weekend. There's also the issue of the battery overcharging that we had to call Prevost about on the way home. Oh, the joys of bus ownership! :D

Bonnie

bonhall41
10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
P.S. He couldn't wait until I got home from running errands to put the bus in the garage so the busted light and bent rub rail is entirely his responsibility. The tire thing is a big mystery. I'll post photos when I get home after next weekend. We've never seen anything like this before. Big chunks of the tread just aren't there anymore and even though Donald ran over a curb at Bass Pro Shop, I can't imagine that doing this much damage to a tire. Anyway, it's all his fault. :o

Bonnie

truk4u
10-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Poor Don, your a tuff lady Bonnie, if this was Jon, Di would be sworn to secrecy unless the stink in the bus from a couple hundred oysters got unbearable at which time she may blow the whistle on A-1.:p