PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protector

Jerry Winchester
09-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I purchased the EMS-PT50C Surge Protector a little more than a year ago. I used it about 10 times and it quit working. It's just dead. It was working when I unplugged it from the hanger, but when I got to the RV park, it was dead.

Anyone had a similar problem? I have sent an e-mail to the Progressive Industries folks, so maybe they can fix it.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/product_images/EMS_PT50C.jpg

tdelorme
09-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Jerry, I have sent mine back to them twice. The first time it was my fault, the second time it just stopped showing anything on the readout. Both times were within the year warranty and they either fixed it or replaced at no charge. I would just send it back and tell them to call you if there is going to be any charge.
Have you plugged it into a receptacle that you know is good?

garyde
09-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Jerry. Do you think it had anything to do with the storm? Possibly a surge on the system at the hanger.

Alek&Lucia
09-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Jerry,

Do you remember in TN Rally mine also quit ! I called from TN and new one was waiting for me at home. Since then no problem yet.
Just call them and I'm sure they will send you a new one.
Keep us posted,

Alek

JIM KELLER
09-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Jerry, They stand behind their product. Give them a call. I am on my fourth one. They rebuild each one they get back and send them out to the next person in line.

Petervs
09-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Something is not right here. A product like this should work correctly nearly all the time.

So many people sending them back multiple times shows there is some kind of inherent defect. If this is a small company they will eventually be unable to keep repairing them for free. If it is a big company some accountant will make them stop repairing them all for free.

I think I do not want one. Thanks for the data on your experience guys!

phorner
09-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I bought a new one in mid-July and it lasted less than 10 days before it started acting up. I returned it and they sent a replacement.....

....which has lasted about a month before giving me problems.

I sent them an e-mail and they have offered to replace it again.

I'll take them up on it when we get to a spot where we'll stay put long enough to get a delivery.

A pain in the butt though.....

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-20-2008, 10:07 AM
This is very disturbing news.

I have just ordered one and don't know of a better product.

Surge protectors in industrial and residential applications I have known need to be rebuilt after a "hit". Is that what is going on here? :confused:

Jerry Winchester
09-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Well I guess the bad news is that this is not an isolated incident. I tend to agree with Peter that there seems to be some inherent weakness in the unit.

When this one was working, I was pleased with the digital readout and the functionality. The last time it worked was in the summer before we left for DC. It was humming along when plugged into the power at the hanger and I unplugged it and stored it in the coach.

When I got to Hattiesburg, MS fairgrounds camping area, I plugged it in and it was dead. However, I thought the electrical service was dead so I went looking for one that had power. And since I had the unit out, I just took it with me thinking that it would be better than a VOM.

But when I got to the third spot with no power, I began to suspect the unit had an issue. A trip back to the bus to get the VOM then made me realize the surge protector was dead.

So, no it was not a storm issue and I don't know how you can incorrectly unplug it. I'll let everyone know how round two goes.

MangoMike
09-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I've had mine for over a year, and it's in use every day.

So far no problems.

Mike

Kenneth Brewer
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
First, let me make a disclaimer statement, which I should have been doing on earlier posts, I guess: I am no surge protection or vehicle electronics expert (but I have been around the block a few times).

Most of the non-industrial strength surge protectors probably use MOVs (metal oxide varistors). Without going into any real detail (I shouldn't and couldn't), MOVs do fail, and have a lifespan that is/can be shortened every time a large surge occurs, or many/more 'smaller' ones, and this can be regarded as 'normal'.

That said, I would be interested to know what the manufacturer says is used to short/conduct a surge to ground (and some sort of lifespan expectancy statement, if available, because it is hard to quantify with a single parameter), which is how the protection is performed; voltage exceeds what might (I'm not sure) be termed a TWA (time weighted average), and the resistance now becomes to a path to ground. I really don't know how sensitive the technical information is for manufacturers, but MOVs are used all over for this purpose (AC spike/surge protection), and are a cost effective method, lifespan notwithstanding.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-20-2008, 02:16 PM
I've been using this one and it has worked reliably.

The only downside is that the status lights are very difficult to read in daylight.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/rv-surge-protection.htm

phorner
09-20-2008, 02:21 PM
One of the features of this particular protector, is that it has the ability to tell you via the LED display that it was "sacrificed" due to surges or other line problems. One of the selling points is that it is able to do this.

I had a hard-wired EMS-HW50C in my previous coach that was completely reliable and without problems during 5 years of continuous use. Supposed to be the same unit, just a different install.

Since I was so satisfied with my prior experience, I went with the same company to protect the bus.

I'm beginning to think that either different components, or a different source for them, may be a factor now.

Until recently, I never heard any complaints regarding this product.

truk4u
09-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Most CC's come hardwired with a Surge Guard and I have many years of use with these and no problems. They can be purchased as portable units as well. Here is the link:

http://www.surgeguard.com/34750.html

rbeecher
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Paul,

Are you in Texas? We are headed to California in the VOGUE, leaving Wed. night, staying at Marathon with CA. arrival Sunday. Any suggestions on the travel west?

Richard Beecher
96 VOGUE XL 40
02 Marathon XLII 45

lewpopp
09-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I had my Progressive installed over 2 years ago by a electrical engineer that knows his shit. Not only that, I will refer to the previous post when I see him and see what he comments about that. It is installed "in-line" and if I have problems, that is the time I would like the jobber you plug into the source.

I put my readout up front inside over the drivers seat so I can monitor it at every moment when we're plugged in. So far so good.

dale farley
09-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I have one that I had in my Marathon before I sold it, and it is now in the CC. I keep it plugged in all the time, and have never had a problem. I am now wondering if/when I will have trouble.

Jerry Winchester
09-21-2008, 10:08 AM
The PI guy called me yesterday (yes on Saturday) and e-mailed me the instructions for sending it back. He said they would take care of it and he was puzzled as to why it would fail in the manner it did.

I asked that he let me know what they find out and I will post that info here.

Kenneth, if I get a chance I will ask your question as well. I didn't not know that was how they worked, so that is some good info. Or at least you sounded like you knew what was going on which is about how things work here anyway........;)

jello_jeep
09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Rich, I sent you an email with my #, give me a call when you are in CA!

JJ

Paul,

Are you in Texas? We are headed to California in the VOGUE, leaving Wed. night, staying at Marathon with CA. arrival Sunday. Any suggestions on the travel west?

Richard Beecher
96 VOGUE XL 40
02 Marathon XLII 45

Ray Davis
09-21-2008, 10:36 PM
let us know when you'll be in the area. Maybe we can all get together.

Ray