PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Switch Breaker?

phorner
09-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I have recently been experiencing problems with "Line 2" on my main electrical panel. A few times, "Line 2" was not showing any incoming power when "Line 1" looked fine.

Now, I'm having a hard time getting AC to the bus. My Progressive Industries protector at the post shows 120 volts each leg and no errors.

I turn on the main breaker in the outside bay on the transfer switch and everything is OK. Power transfers to the inside panel.

However, as soon as much of a load is applied (a single air conditioner, water heater, etc.) the power drops out. Although the main breaker doesn't appear "tripped" on the transfer switch box, when I turn it off and then back on power is restored to my inside panel.

Everything seems fine under generator power.

Any suggestions? I need to resolve this ASAP as I expect to be deployed to Texas as part of an insurance adjusting team.

Should I first try replacing the main breaker on the transfer switch box? or do the symptoms appear more related to "something" going on with the transfer switch proper?

Thanks for the help!

phorner
09-13-2008, 12:55 PM
After talking to Troy at Liberty Coach, he indicated that in his opinion it was unlikely to be the main breaker and that he recommended checking the time delay relays. There are two; one for shore power and one for the generator. he suggested that I swap them and see if the problem is resolved.

Swapped the relays (and it looks like one had been replaced) and the problem remained..... even found a loose wire connection that I tightened but to no avail.

Lastly, on a hunch (in desperation? :() I took the Progressive Industries protector out of the loop and all is working just fine.

Airs are running as I write this and I'm ready for a cool beverage.....

So, It looks to me like the aftermarket device is the likely culprit. I can't believe that it's coincidental that when it is removed the problems go away.

Would still like to hear some comments though....

Joe Cannarozzi
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I thought I remembered others having similar problems with that product.

Pretty lonely day at POG when we have to answer our own posts ah Paul:rolleyes:

tdelorme
09-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Paul, send it back to Progressive and let them know what it was doing. I had a similar issue with my first unit and it was replaced no charge.

Kenneth Brewer
09-13-2008, 03:01 PM
"Would still like to hear some comments though...."

It may be the device might have been doing its job, and that wiring resistances related to its connection presented a voltage drop that was unacceptable. Could/would you test it? Could prove interesting.

phorner
09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Ken,

I gave that some consideration. However, this device will report any "errors" and keeps a log of high/low voltage, dropped neutral, etc. So, I figured that the device wasn't "seeing" any problems as it wasn't displaying any errors.

This is the second one that I've had problems with. They replaced the first because it would show 250 volts on one leg when, in fact, there was 120 volts. The device would not allow current to pass through on one leg because it "thought" there was an over-voltage condition.

I finally checked the post receptacle with a volt meter that time and discovered that the protector was the problem.

Ya see, this is the kind of grief ya get when you're only tryin' to do the right thing....:mad:

Kenneth Brewer
09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Let no good deed go unpunished.

merle&louise
09-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Paul,

My coach has a red polarity light; when the light comes on the polarity is reversed - if it stays off you are good to go. It is a built in system on the auto switch box next to my shore power cord.

Does your auto switch box (selects shorepower / generator power) have a red light indicating polarity?

garyde
09-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Paul. These units usually only read the line side and not the load side, so it might be a low voltage condition on the shore power side when you are adding load. The fact that it does not record an incident may be a defect in the instrument.