PDA

View Full Version : Hydra lift

Robert Short
09-08-2008, 12:13 AM
I just purchased a 2006 Prevost and this is my first experience at RVing.I'm also single and recèptive to listening to advise about cruising the west coast of Canada and United States this November-April 09,following the sun!I previously owned several yachts over 15 years and cruised the Caribean all the way down to Venezuala.I think RV'S are easier to handle and cost less to maintain..........
First question ,I'm undecided as to whether I should install a hydra lift on the back of my Prevost to carry my motorcycle,plus towing a car.Some people tell me that riders get together and go all over the place.Like some people bring their kyacks or golf clubs.
Second question.As an owner,how do you refer to your motor home.Is it a coach,a rig,an RV,A ??????????
Looking foreward to getting on the road and meeting up with fellow RVers.There are 2 outstanding recalls on my ????? which hopefully will be repaired this week.
Love to hear from you with your comments.Best Regards Bob Short

dalej
09-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Glad you joined the group, we have lots of fun and information that get shared here.

Not to many POG members hang a bike on the back, but most put them in a trailer along with a car.

You'll find a bunch of insight here.

Again, nice to have you on board!

dale farley
09-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Bob, Welcome to the forum. You will find there are many different opinions on most things you ask about. On this subject, the majority may agree that it is better and safer to tow a trailer that will haul your car and motorcycle. Another option is to tow a pickup with a lift in the bed that will haul your motorcycle. Although there are some with motorcycle lifts, it is very easy to end up with too much weight on the rear of your coach if you install a lift for a motorcycle.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Glad to have you in the group.
For starters get used to the site. Look at the different pages and explore into all of the information areas, you will be surprised at how much info you find. Try everything you can't break anything.
Fill in your private data and signature with your bus info. That makes giving meaningful answers easier.
Under quick links check out Dale's and Bill's map and ask either or both to be listed on them. One way is via private message ( PM ), found in the upper right page corner. (get used to looking there for messages waiting)

Sounds like you have a nice ride, show some pictures.
Sorry to hear you have recall issues, but I guess you have that handled!

There is a rally about to begin in Spearfish, SD. ( some are already on their way) See the add in the site.
9/11 to 9/17. Please come. This is the best way to get to know what this group is all about. You will get your questions answered first hand and you will meet the nicest people you would ever want to know.
You can fly into Rapid city, SD. The rally site has very nice cabins with linen service.

JIM:)

Jon Wehrenberg
09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the asylum Bob. Your 2006 should be reliable and relatively trouble free, but if you get in a bind, or have questions this is as good a place as any to ask questions. As Jim says. let us know your converter and a little about your bus so the answers can be specific to your coach.

Notice I used the terms bus and coach in the same sentence, and could have called it an RV or even a camper.

As a newcomer to Prevost ownership you clearly need to know as much about the systems on your coach, bus, RV or Camper primarily to avoid the same mistakes almost all of us have made.

bonhall41
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Welcome,Bob. We are new to Prevosts also but have had several RVs in the past (and still have an extra one that we're trying to sell). We have had several issues and members of The Forum have been very helpful. I wish we could go to Spearfish because I'm sure we could learn a lot about our bus but we have a scheduling conflict. Besides, it just sounds like a lot of fun. Congratulations on your new bus and good luck on your travels.

Bonnie

Steve Bennett
09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
We have quite a few customers with the rear hydralifts. The biggest negative is that the bike gets very dirty when the coach is driven through rain. It is a lot of weight with a full dress Harley, if you weight the bus you should be able to determine if you can stay within weight limits. Remember that the bike & lift will add to the rear, and total weight. it may actually reduce the front axle weight, as the coach will pivot on the drive axle, and the CG will move rearward. We also have a customer who tows a Dodge Sprinter van, with the MBZ diesel engine, and winches his Harley inside.

Robert Short
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Thank you all for your advise and kind words.You certainly make me feel welcome and doubly anxious to get on with moving down that road which seems to be scheduled for late October early November.Until then I will be arranging 'things 'to facilitate just a lazy cruise along the west coast of United States.Hope to run ion to all of you.Kindest Regards

dmark1
12-11-2008, 03:06 PM
You call it (with nose slightly upturned) a Prevost....;)