PDA

View Full Version : Inverter fan replacement

jelmore
09-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I think I have a noisy fan in one inverter. Seems to have a vibration and noise that cycles, on for a few minutes, off for a few, maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time. These are Freedom 25 inverters. I've read here and other places that replacing a fan and boards is not difficult.

So, to avoid something dangerous, I'm sure I need to disconnect the shore power. What about the house power? If I turn off the house 12v master switch and the two inverter master switches, will that completely disconnect all 12v and 120v power to the inverters? How about the chassis 12V and 24V? I guess the safe thing is to completely shut down the entire coach and leave it off until I find a replacement fan.

Is the fan is 12V or 120V? Maybe I can take it apart, get the specs on the fan, put it back together, turn the coach back on and then go shop?

Anybody done something like that?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Jim,

You need to make the inverter completely "dead" before you work on the inverter. On my Liberty I turn off the switches marked battery charger, I turn off the small switch on the black inverter annunciator panel, and then I turn off all the house battery switches, which on my coach are adjacent to the batteries.

I verify all power to or from the inverter has been shut down by taking the wire nuts from the supply side and from the AC output side and using my multi-tester to verify the absence of any power to or from the inverter.

Once that is done the cover is removed and that exposes the boards and the fan. On my Liberty I have a fan in each inverter (I can't remember if it is AC or DC voltage) that I have been able to get through a Xantrax dealer, or WWGrainger, usually overnight. But in addition the way my coach is set up I also have a pair of external fans that are 120 VAC powered through the inverter output that are ducted and pull air through the inverters continuously.

The cycling is normal. The inverters only actuate the internal fans when the temperature requires that they operate.

It is a very easy job and will not take long unless you have to remove one inverter to access the one needing a new fan.

Our inverter and battery positions are likely different so I cannot be more specific. Mine are under my bed and I think yours are in the electric compartment, with the batteries located and accessed through the rear wall of the first bay.

jelmore
09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Will do to make it completely dead and check input and output for power. Working around AC makes me nervous. You're right on the location of the inverters in the electrical bay. I've never accessed the batteries myself but when I had them changed, they took out the entertainment center. I've seen that access panel in the back of the first bay, but might be access only to the starboard and aft cruise airs. Thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Jim,

You should have battery master switches that are visible and accessible without taking anything apart or removing anything. After turning off the switches described above you should then turn off the battery master switches. If you have battery power to the inverter be aware it could be producing 120 Volts. That is why both AC and DC power needs to be off.

Do not confuse the battery switches for the house with the ones in the rear for the chassis. If you have any doubt do not proceed.

tpr
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Panterra coach replaced the fan on one of my freedom 2500's in my Angola. They disconnected the electric, pulled the inverter out and replaced the fan with a part from Radio Shack as it is the same as a computer fan. The whole job took 15 minutes.

jelmore
09-07-2008, 08:26 PM
This picture shows the switches labeled House 12V, Inverter #1 and Inverter #2. I've turned those all off before and the coach seems completely unpowered, as I recall. The Liberty manual describes these as disconnects and warns that the switches on the remote panel must be off before turning off these Inverter disconnects. This will be fun!

http://www.2000liberty.info/all_pics/l/P8154209.jpg

jelmore
09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Panterra coach replaced the fan on one of my freedom 2500's in my Angola. They disconnected the electric, pulled the inverter out and replaced the fan with a part from Radio Shack as it is the same as a computer fan. The whole job took 15 minutes.

That's encouraging. Thanks. They did not disconnect the batteries? I think I will. I'll be spending my morning checking at Radio Shack and WWGrainger.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Those are the switches. I think the instructions for shutoff are on the red label.

You probably do not have to shut it all down, but why take a chance. Better to be safe. As TPR says this is not a difficult job.

jelmore
09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, that was a bust, but a good exercise in removing the fan and reinstalling it! That fan isn't something that Grainger or Radio Shack carries. So back in the case it went. I'm in the hunt now for a replacement fan and getting buried by all the computer case fans available. When I find one that closely matches the specs of the one that's in there, I'll post back for posterity.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-08-2008, 08:26 PM
If that is a heart inverter try Gusdorf Electrinics Santa Fe, NM.

505-983-4095

It is in numerous previous posts. Dave, good guy.

tpr
09-08-2008, 08:42 PM
jelmore I pulled my old repair invoice and it only says 120 MM fan, $13.99. Try calling Panterra and ask for Don Wolf or Dustin they might be able to get you one. 260-665-8000.

jelmore
09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the leads. We're in Portland Maine for the week and I want to get this fixed before we move on while we have a shipping address.

Something I haven't done before, and maybe it's in the instructions, but I've turned off the inverters at the remote panel and that noisy fan isn't cycling. So what is happening? Are the batteries still powering all the 12V things or is there a converter that's providing that power from the shore power? I presume the batteries aren't being charged. I guess keeping an eye on the battery voltage will tell a story but it would be good to know what is going on.

truk4u
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Jim,

If you have turned off the Inverters, your charging ability to the house batteries has been shut down. Keep any eye on your battery voltage, 12.2 is 50%, you'll have to turn them back on for charging.

jelmore
09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
While plugged in, I kept Inverter #1, the one with the noisy fan, turned off. Inverter #2 kept the house batteries charged.

Changing a fan is not a big thing indeed.

Just for the record, in case someone else searches these forums for this information, the fan in that 1999 Freedom Combi 25 inverter is a Delta WFB1212H .45amp 2800rmp 90cfm at 37dba. That fan is no longer made. I replaced it with a Scythe SY1225SL12SH .53amp 1900rpm 110cfm 37dba. These are commonly sold as a computer case cooling fan. That was the only fan I could find that moved at least that much air and was as quiet. I didn't check with Gusdorf or Panterra (thanks for the leads though) for a replacement -- seemed too trivial. Just in the interest of my own knowledge, I searched for fans of similar specs -- learned a lot.

Sure is quiet!

Which brings me to another battery charging issue -- the generator start battery.

I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks, all.

merle&louise
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
While plugged in, I kept Inverter #1, the one with the noisy fan, turned off. Inverter #2 kept the house batteries charged.

Changing a fan is not a big thing indeed.

Just for the record, in case someone else searches these forums for this information, the fan in that 1999 Freedom Combi 25 inverter is a Delta WFB1212H .45amp 2800rmp 90cfm at 37dba. That fan is no longer made. I replaced it with a Scythe SY1225SL12SH .53amp 1900rpm 110cfm 37dba. These are commonly sold as a computer case cooling fan. That was the only fan I could find that moved at least that much air and was as quiet. I didn't check with Gusdorf or Panterra (thanks for the leads though) for a replacement -- seemed too trivial. Just in the interest of my own knowledge, I searched for fans of similar specs -- learned a lot.

Sure is quiet!

Which brings me to another battery charging issue -- the generator start battery.

I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks, all.

Jim or anyone else who can help,

My 1999 Heart 2500 inverter/charger is showing an E-07 error in the Link 2000 window inside the coach. The manual says that error is the Triac has overheated. What is a Triac? It sounds like a cooling fan. The manual says to turn off the inverter and the charger, let them cool down, and then turn back on. I did that and it still shows an E-07. In the morning, I am going to see if I can hear the cooling fan running.

I would still like to know what a Triac is?

jelmore
10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't know what this all means, but here's a definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIAC
I'd bet a phone call to Xantrex will tell you what you need to know. Keep us posted. The fan was easy to replace, the boards might be easy, but I don't know about taking anything else apart inside those things. Looked very electrical to me.

merle&louise
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Jim,

I read the definition and I agree with you; it is way too technical for me. It appears that the Triac is some sort of current switch, so if it is overheating it must be because the cooling fan is not working. I will try to check the fan out this morning and order the one from Radio Shack and try to replace it my self. I read in the owner's manual that ALL power had to be disconnected first so that will be step 1.

I have a good friend who can help me here so I won't be going it alone.:)

jelmore
10-22-2008, 09:22 AM
I didn't find one at Radio Shack that met the specs and size of the original fan, nor did I find one at the local Grainger. You may have better luck at a computer parts store. I had to mail order the one I used. Good luck.