PDA

View Full Version : Air Manifold

Joe Cannarozzi
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
While in the steering bay in Aleks bus getting the brake pedal loose from the floor to install the Pergo we disrupted a couple of air lines out of a plastic manifold. Nothing bad but a slight leak. I checked on one and they wanted 70 bucks.

Apon further consideration we decided to clean up a bunch of spaghetti in the steering bay. We also made an air manifold for components supplied by the auxiliery tank.

Here it is. There are feeds for the seat, step well cover, tilt column, dash gauge, generator air bags and one for all the electric over air solonoids. They all are seperate all with shut-offs and will be marked for easy identification. Future potential problems will be easier to spot and repair.

While here I filled up Aleks parts bin with about 10 pounds of usefull spare brass fittings.

Here is what we removed. Plus about 20 feet of useless plastic line and wiring

No good Mr. Royal, you could have done better.

bonhall41
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Joe,
Did you get all that stuff out of your tackle box? :p

Bonnie

rfoster
09-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Joe, it looks like you are the professional air line plumber as compared to some of the coaches I have seen. Good Job. Looks great and now being able to isolate the problem with the cutoffs--well that could be priceless.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Priceless? He paid dearly:D He is happy, he was like a kid in a candy store playing with all the brass.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Really nice Joe. That would make a fine display for the fitting company!
Your father would be proud. :)

phorner
09-05-2008, 08:44 AM
That looks great, Joe! Nice job.

I'm about to start a small air plumbing project myself. can you recommend a source for some of the valves and fittings? Should any plumbing supply store have them?

tdelorme
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Joe, you all didn't throw away all those quick connects did you. They come in real handy from time to time and sell for 8 to 12 Lewbucks each.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Paul the most of that stuff is at Home Depo. If you prefer the new style quick couplers for the air fittings you will need a truck supply for those.

Ted we kept them for sure.

We tore apart the manifold this morning. Those tapered brass shuttoffs are junk. They were all leaking through the shafts after a cold overnight. I had my bags packed headed out the door and turned around.

We replaced them with 1/4 in. ball valves we will take some pictures.

If you have a Norgren air filter with a plastic petcock at the bottom DO NOT USE IT you will create a leak. If you desire drain the air off and remove the whole canister as if you were trying to acess the filter inside. I think if I had a bus with those electric over air solonoilds in the steering bay one of these Norgren Air filters would be a good idea in the supply line feeding them. As they are there is no such protection.

Hopefully it will have 120lbs in the morning and I can head home.

We eliminated 6 small leaks with the soapy water treatment not related to the project. A 50 degree overnight low will make for a good test.