PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Trouble

bonhall41
09-01-2008, 07:33 PM
We got back last night from a weekend outing (our 2nd since acquiring the bus much earlier this year) and parked it in the driveway. When Donald tried to move it this afternoon, the transmission would not shift. We're getting a code (d14526) that, if I'm reading the book properly, is "Open circuit, N solenoid circuit". In the "Inhibited Operation Description" it says "Low and 1st inhibited, retarder allowed". What does this mean and what can we do to get the bus moving again? By the way, it says the oil level is OK. We have a 2005 H3-45 that was converted by Featherlite. HELP, please! Thanks.

Bonnie

garyde
09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Try this; http://www.allisontransmission.com/publications/pubs/OM3349EN.jsp

bonhall41
09-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I looked through that and it doesn't seem to have much on trouble-shooting. I know what the code is but don't know what to do about it and how to get it going again. Has anyone had this happen to them and, if so, what did you do? Thanks.

Bonnie:confused:

Joe Cannarozzi
09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Do not take any of this as more than a guess. Are your slides all the way in? Run them out and in. Is there a way to clear out the codes like disconecting the yellow 10 guage hot off the chassis batteries. You will loose all the other codes but you could first check for any other codes before hand. Your at home so maybe a call to Prevo or allison tomorrow would not be too much of an inconvienience.

When you shut it down last time was it in neutral before you turned it off?

bonhall41
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Joe. We'll try your suggestions. We'll give Prevost a call but I just thought it might be easy if someone else had had the same problem.

Bonnie

Sid Tuls
09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Donald, I had the same problem a couple months ago it was my rear slide had a bad relay switch. I called Prevost and they walk me through to get me going. Sorry I can't be of any more help but if the techs at Prevost can walk this dutchman:confused: through it you will have no problem!! This happen in Nashville and they got me in the next morning and was on my way in 1 hour:)

bonhall41
09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Sid. We were thinking of going to Featherlite next week to have them check a couple things so we can probably add this to the list. I'll call Prevost tomorrow. Thanks for the pep talk. :p

Bonnie

nrhareiner
09-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Hello Bonnie,

I also have a Featherlite slide coach. If it is the slide lockout relay that is giving you the problem, there is an easy fix. there is a relay in the front run box. Just open the access door to the left of the driver. There are two rows of relays. One of the relays in the lower row is labeled slide. If you remove this relay, then the coach can be placed in gear even if the slide is not in all the way. Obviously that is not always a good idea. However, if the relay is the problem, then you will be able to move the coach without any problems. There has been another thread in this forum of a potential problem if the relay is in place. That is if the relay senses a slide has moved (even if it has not) when going down the road, it could cause the bus to make a sudden severe stop.

bonhall41
09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
It's gone from bad to worse. Just went out to try some of your suggestions. As soon as I turned on the power switch, there was a high-pitched fast beeping sound coming from the dash but no lights to give me a clue. It stopped as soon as the coach started. When I hit the "fast idle" bunny, nothing happened. Then when I hit the slide out switch, nothing happened. So now it won't fast idle and the slides won't go out. It still won't shift into gear either. To make matters worse, we don't have a relay marked slides on either the bottom or top layer of relays. We couldn't find anything in the front compartment or on the fuse (breaker) box in the bay behind it either. Donald has to go out of town this afternoon to check on his brother so I guess we'll end up calling Prevost when he comes back. Any other suggestions, anyone? Thanks.

Bonnie

Joe Cannarozzi
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
What is the air pressure in all 3 tanks overnight? Did you run it long enough to build up full air pressure before you gave upon the high idle.

Still could be one of those slides/relays.

bonhall41
09-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Joe,
Please excuse my stupidity but I'm really new at all this. How do you check the air pressure in all three tanks? I'm not sure what you're talking about with the tanks but I do know I waited enough time for the high idle to be able to kick in and it didn't.
It sure sounds as if we need to attend a POG rally, doesn't it? If we can ever get this thing moving again, we'll have to do that asap. We're having a few other issues also but will deal with them when we get this resolved. Thanks again.

Bonnie

P.S. Where else could the relay for the slides be if it isn't in that front compartment on the driver's side?:confused:

garyde
09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Hello Bonnie. Your slides have seperate controls and relays probably in the third cargo bay port side. However, that is not your problem. Joe's mention of your air tanks is in reference to your beeping from the dash. The beeping indicates low air in you front , Aft, and aux. air tank (the guages are on your dash board for these three). You need to be above 80 lbs at least prior to the alarm shutting off. Normally 120lbs isyour operating level. Your high idle may not have turned on if your emergency brake has been released, although it would normally be set with low air pressure.
Finally, it sounds like you do have a interlok issue.
Make sure the trasmission is in nuetral and the parking brake is set prior to starting the engine. There is a test switch on the dash to test all of your dash light symbols, verify they are working prior to starting as well by turning your key to position one and then switching the test switch for dash lights.
If your slides are like mine, by turning your ignition switch to position one, without turning your engine on, you should be able to slide your slides in or out unless you are extremely out of level. My slide switches will blink if the slides are not in all the way.
Try all of these things first to see if this will free up your transmission.

bonhall41
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks, Gary. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know what happens. I appreciate all the suggestions. :)

Bonnie

Jon Wehrenberg
09-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Gary,

Keep in mind you have Prevost slides. A Vantare may not have Prevost slides. If that is the case the trouble shooting process may be completely different.

bonhall41
09-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I'll keep that in mind but will try anything at this point. Of course, if this doesn't work, we'll call Featherlite and/or Prevost when Donald gets home late this afternoon. Thanks for your help.

Bonnie

donniev
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Bonnie, Donnie V Here From Florida Luxury Coach Here. Call Donnie Meyers And See If He Can Help You. There Is Nobody Better At Vantares. Donnie Meyer Rv Service- Phone # 386-473-9078

Donnie V

bonhall41
09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
We're back in the garage. Donald called Prevost this morning and it was some kind of interlock problem. He ended up turning off both the main switches for a short time and when he turned them back on, it was OK. Then he had a little trouble with it later but when I got in and turned it on, it was OK. It went into reverse with no problem. I think our next trip should be somewhere to have these problems looked at. Is it better to go back to Featherlite or somewhere like Prevost in Jacksonville or the guy that Donnie V recommended in Sanford? Thanks for all your help and support. :D

Bonnie

Loc
09-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Bonnie,

I believe that Featherlite H3's are not Prevost slides. Either should be able to work on the slides, but Featherlite would be my choice.

Loc

bonhall41
09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
We're thinking of going to Featherlite next week but waiting to see where Hurricane Ike is going. At first, it was projected to go up the East Coast but now looks as if it's coming into the Gulf.

Bonnie

merle&louise
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
We're thinking of going to Featherlite next week but waiting to see where Hurricane Ike is going. At first, it was projected to go up the East Coast but now looks as if it's coming into the Gulf.

Bonnie

Boy that's all I need:)

Darl-Wilson
09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Tuga and Karen, I just mapped your area and it looks like you were right in the path of Gustav. Did you leave or were you already gone when that storm hit?

Good luck with this one, Ike and Josephine. I would offer to help but we are in Reno, NV and headed to Spearfish soon. I did make a donation to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. I notice the RC is borrowing money, maybe as much as 70 million for relief efforts.

We hope you are well and get in a safe place. I am sure this is not your '1st Rodeo' so we are certain you take all the precautions necessary.

Darl & Martha

merle&louise
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Darl & Martha,

Yes, my home town Houma was where Gustav made landfall. Actually, it was in the fishing village of Cocodrie, LA. We were lucky; the worst part of a hurricane is the northeast quadrant; we got the eye. The eye is bad but nothing like that northeast quadrant.

We evacuated to Shreveport (300 miles north) and are still here now. We didn't have any damage at home or at the business. We were very lucky. As you said, this is not our first rodeo. I have lived here all of my life and have been thru many hurricanes. However, things are different now; our marshland has eroded and subsided (sank). The sinking of marshland was due mainly because of salt water intrusion into the fresh water marshes. The salt water kills the grass and other vegetation. Then when a hurricane hits the coastline there is not much resistance from the land. It's a fairly simple concept.

Karen and I are seriously considering moving further north. The only problem is that there are too many yankees (we consider anybody who lives north of Thibodaux to be a yankee):D Just kidding.

Thanks for the concern. God Bless!