PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav

rfoster
09-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Lets not forget to be thinking and praying for our POG members up and down the Gulf Coast. I understand that ground zero is within 50 miles of Tuga and Karens Home in Houma.

Wish you all the best.

merle&louise
09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the concern Roger, we are up in Shreveport with 20 or so of Karen's family. We are as snug as a bug in a Newell (that one's for you Loc).

Louise and I are fine (especially her). We have 50 amp service + sewer hook-up at Karen's brother's place. We have 4 people in our coach; Louise says there is no way we could do this with a non slide coach! She's right!

Jim Cantore' with TWC is broadcasting from St. Francis de Sales church. My house is 3 blocks from the church and my business is 5 blocks from the church. If Jim Cantore is standing in water my house is flooded. Cross your fingers and say some prayers for us.

I have not be in contact with DANSS; hope all is well with him and Jo.

Keep in mind that Geraldo and other cable news organizations SENSATIONALIZE THE REPORTS. It is a CAT 2 hurricane now and that is dangerous, but we have been thru many of these storms before. We will be o.k. But pray just in case:D

Thanks for the concern:)

jello_jeep
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Our thoughts and best wishes are with ya'll Tuga. Keep the faith!

rmboies
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM
we are up in Shreveport with 20 or so of Karen's family. We are as snug as a bug in a Newell (that one's for you Loc).
Louise and I are fine (especially her).
Thanks for the concern:)

Tuga, you should have seen my face when I saw where Jim Cantore, Ann Curry, and others were reporting from! I am hopeful that the water he was standing in was just because the road was leaning:D Truly, this could have been much worse and I am thankful that all of you and others are safe.

It was interesting to here a news reporter mention that had they not planned for pets to be evacuated as well, more people would have stayed. When some people were told there were not more crates for the pets who needed evacuated, they said "I am not leaving without my pet". Immediately they found more crates for the critters! Many representatives of various emergency animal groups were there, even our Pilots-N-Paws group was sent a stand-by, message. So this time, things went better then expected.

Now on this coast we brace for Hanna. I may have a house full of College of Charleston kids by the end of this week so hey, pray for us too while you are at it:rolleyes:

Loc
09-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Tuga,

I hope you, Karen and family are weathering the storm (bad pun). Sorry to hear that you have bugs in your Newell (ha). It looks like Shreveport is getting the worst of it this morning. The local Houston stations have been reporting from Houma. One had a report that showed the canopy from a Shell station that looked pretty bad. I couldn't remember what brand of gasoline you sold. I hope this is not your store.

Loc

merle&louise
09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Jello, Debi, & Loc,

Thanks for the prayers and concern. We are o.k. in Shreveport; don't know about my business and home yet. It looks like Friday @ noon will be the time that the authorities allow residents to return to the Houma area.

Love those puns Loc, its nice to smile a little. I can always count on my POG buddies for a laugh or two. :D

Debi, the reporter focused on the negative instead of the truth, as usual. Gov. Jindal's team had wrist bands made for evacuees and collar bands for their pets. This was done in case the owner was separated from the pet. Also, hundreds of plastic kennels were provided free of charge to evacuees by the government. The liberal media didn't bother to report that.

Good hearing from you guys; how is DANS? They received much of the brunt of the storm - believe it or not!

Ray Davis
09-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Tuga,

Our prayers are certainly with you guys. Hopefully things are better than expected. The media definitely likes to sensationalize and only show the "new-worthy" info.

Ray

Danss
09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
We only lost power for about 6 hours. Had steady rain and winds to about 70 and had no damage to home or business. We were in the eye of Katrina about 1/2 mile from the gulf, and as you might guess we do not need another one of those. In our area this was a WUZ. It appears that most damage was in Houma but I figured Tuga went to North La. Hope his home and business fared well! Dan & Jo

rfoster
09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
That is good news Dan. Glad to hear yall are OK. Have you heard about the Pecks and Ed and Donna Saylor. Was their area hit hard? Hopefully everyone faired the storm and hopefully Tuga and Karen properties faired well too.l

MangoMike
09-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Tuga,

Glad you and Dan are OK.

Nothing like a week without cash flow. Ouch. Better double up on pricing next week. ;)

mm

Danss
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Both the Pecks and Saylors are in areas that were relatively unharmed, probaly a few trees and limbs. Dan

merle&louise
09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Everything is o.k., I just spoke to my son-in-law who is a Colonel with the Air National Guard. He was able to drive into Houma and inspect our property. Everything is o.k.; no damage. I hope that the Saylors, Pecks, Smiths, and everyone else is good.

It will be approximately 4 weeks before we will have electricity and services restored in Houma.:( We are making the best of it though, eat drink and be merry. Ca c'est la bonne temp roule!:D

Ray Davis
09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
That is WONDERFUL news! So glad to hear it! :D

edsaylor
09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Roger--
Thanks for inquiring about Donna and myself and the Pecks concerning Gustav. The Pecks were in Memphis for the storm. Donna and I were at home in Biloxi. We were supposed to get 25 to 35 MPH winds with gusts to 50. We got 50 to 60 MPH winds with gusts to 70+. It was interesting to see. The storm cleared all the dead limbs out of my trees, plus a few good limbs. Water rose about 8 or 9 feet and came about 60 feet into our back yard. A truck bedliner washed into my yard and I used it to load the broken limbs from the back yard and pulled it to the street with my tractor. We had to leave the morning after the storm to bring Donna to Jackson for another surgery on her leg--being done now. Hope to see you soon.

Ed Saylor

Jon Wehrenberg
09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Ed,

Thinking of you guys and we hope Donna is well.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Tuga,

Good news. Now that there is no damage, the funds set aside for damage can buy that Liberty.:D

rfoster
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Ed: That is good news. I am sure there was some excitement in the midst of the storm that you could live without. Glad yall are safe and sound and the Pecks are on high ground.

We have thought of yall often and sure hope and pray that Donna's Surgery exceeds expectations.

Keep us posted, it is good to hear from you.