PDA

View Full Version : Generator start

lewpopp
08-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I have been trying to trace down the reason my generator decide not to start.

Had a friend trace down to the circuit breake in the box in the compartment. Got it in and it still flips the breaker. I hear a faint click when I power up the circuit but haven't yet opened another compartment that is listed as (something like) battery 12 volt. I am about to look and all I cam look for is a loose connection. I am not good with electricity.

In the meantime I had Martin Diesel look up one of their service locations and there is one in Binghamton, about 75 miles away. I guess That is my best bet if I find nothing. I have 13.8 volts to the breaker box area.

jimshoen
09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Lew,
I have a 1997 Marathon with a 20 KW PowerTech. On my way homne from the Pahrump rally it failed to start from the Marathon dash panel. There are three different places to start/stop this generator. Generator compartment, dash, bedroom. I searched all throught the system. The problem was intemittant and difficult to pin down. Turns out is was the starter solenoid dragging. Leon at Marathon gave me the correct diagnosis. I ended up replacing the starter/solenoid with new. Works perfect now.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Easy check is to apply power to the solenoid coil. (Not the load, but the hot wire input to the coil)