PDA

View Full Version : Anti tamper screw

aggies09
08-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Alright. I am checking the oil level in all of my hubs in preparation for the trip down to Kerrville this weekend and after checking the front two wheels, I move to the rear of the coach and see an anti tamper screw. The screw appears to be a pan head looking screw with what appears to be a 5/32 hex head recessed in the head of the screw with a post or needle looking part protruding from the center of the recessed hex so it is impossible to get an allen wrench on the screw. How do I get these screws out? Is there a tool? Do I drill out the post on each screw and use my allen wrench?....................Advice appreciated.

Petervs
08-28-2008, 07:01 PM
You can buy screwdrivers that fit these fasteners at a good tool store, maybe Sears Craftsman, for sure Snap-on or Matco.

The screw is probably pretty hard steel so drilling out the little nib will be hard , especially without damaging the rest of the hex.

Once you get it out, you can replace it with a regular screw if you like.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Those are LH thread special screws which require the appropriate size allen wrench with a hole in the middle.

I probably have one of those allen wrenches somewhere, but if you can get the screws out before the trip, throw them away. I have never had anybody tamper with my caps or remove one. All the security screws do is drive you crazy when you can't find the allen wrench.

Remember....left hand threads so if you do start to try to drill one out the motion and force from the drill may loosen it.

Orren Zook
08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
go to your local Advance or AutoZone and buy the stainless license plate screw kit with the security screws, it will include the allen wrench that fits your hub cap allen screws.

aggies09
08-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks guys. I will check a couple of tool stores in the morning to see if I can get the right tool before resorting to the drill. Advice appreciated.

garyde
08-29-2008, 01:34 AM
If needed, take an impression with clay or gum to get the correct sze.