PDA

View Full Version : OTR AC, am I missing something?

djb_rh
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Okay, I've got a 1999 Prevost H3-45 converted by Featherlite (Vantare). I only use it a few times a year, and it's fairly often I just plain forget something stupid on how to use this thing, since the controls and such are fairly disjoint.

Anyway, I can't get any OTR AC to work. Yes, it is equipped with it. :) I could swear all I needed to do was flip the "snowflake" looking switch on the right side of the dash down near my knee, but is that all there is? My coach is prior to having the electronic AC controls on the dash...I have five knobs and what appears to be a recirculate switch and the AC on/off switch just below those knobs. No combination of switch position or knobs positions causes any air to blow out the long vents under the windows in the rear of the coach.

Is there another thermostat or anything for the OTR AC? Or do I likely have a problem with the unit (breaker, fuse)? I have a Prevost Maintenance manual as well as a Parts manual, but I can't seem to find an owners manual anywhere. *sigh* Strangely, the maintenance manual I have pictures an electronic AC control unit, too. Argh.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

--Donnie

Jon Wehrenberg
08-24-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't have an H3 or a Vantare, but I have had two XLs with OTR.

I have a single switch that is a 3 position switch. Press it in one direction and it engages the OTR AC. Press it in the other direction and it is heat.

I have a temperature control adjusting knob, and a OTR fan speed knob.

Supplementing that is a control for the drivers position, and it controls the fans speed on one knob and a second knob controls the temp at the driver's position.

If you do not have the three position OTR switch I have no way of helping you. If you do have it and the system will not turn on, start by checking all CBs for the AC system. I cannot tell you where they are on an H3. I can tell you the big red CBs are very hard to reset. I check them with an ohmeter, and if they are tripped I need to push on the CB with a tool because of the force required.

A system low on gas will not function.

rbeecher
08-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Donnie,

Have you tried the Featherlite support line? They were always very helpful when we were out on the road in the Vogue and just couldn't remember what did what.

Hope all is well otherwise,

Richard Beecher
02 Marathon XLII 45
96 Vogue XL for sale

djb_rh
08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks, guys. Turns out another problem I had been having that I *thought* was unrelated was really related. I was having a battery voltage issue and didn't realize that there was an "interlock" on the OTR AC that can't pull unless the 24V is REALLY solid. It was going to get solid with the engine running, it just wasn't there *yet*, so it wouldn't kick on.

Incidentally, I had been on the phone already with Featherlite over the weekend, but the guy on call hadn't been working there long enough to be familiar as far back as a '99. So I posted here. :)

Anyway, everything is fine on this issue now. I still have NO IDEA where to find the breaker you guys are talking about (and had already found reference to in searching the forum before posting), though. I looked all over, but must be missing it. Fortunately it didn't matter since it apparently isn't the problem.

Richard, hope you and Barbara are doing well, too. Hopefully I'll see you at Nationals in a few weeks. I'm only there Sunday through Wednesday before heading to Miller for the Koni Challenge race that next weekend.

--Donnie

Jerry Winchester
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
The breaker is usually in one of two places. On the early XL it is in the rear curb side bay in a box attached to the top of the bay. You can see the breakers thru a hole, but as Jon points out, you better have a big ass screwdriver or something substantial to push it to reset it.

Some of them are also located in the engine bay (according to Jello Jeep) and they are usually marked well. Well the Marathons are marked, I think they use a Sharpie to mark the Libertys.