PDA

View Full Version : Napa Valley, CA

blacklab
08-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Any recommendations on RV Parks in the area??

ajhaig
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
We stayed at the KOA in Petaluma. I'm not a huge fan of KOA's but this one worked out well for us. It is also close to Dillon Beach which is beautiful.

hhoppe
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Closest one I know of is a KOA in Petaluma, CA. If you find one closer please post it. It's a nice area to visit but a little expensive for Wino's. Have a good visit.

flyu2there
08-23-2008, 06:12 AM
There is but one decent place in Napa Valley, that is the Napa County Fair Grounds in Calistoga. The location is perfect, a short walk to fine dinning, mud baths, the geyser...Calistoga is an interesting historical town.

http://www.napacountyfairgrounds.com/rvpark.htm

There are a couple of State Parks (Boothe Napa Valley comes to mind) but they are way too tight for a bus.

The others that have been mentioned are a fair clip, a long way from Napa Valley.

John

flyu2there
08-23-2008, 06:34 AM
I spent 20 plus years in the Napa Valley growing wine and making grapes......

I need to talk about the roads. There is only 1 SAFE way to get to Calistoga and that is from Napa, up the Silverado Trail. Highway 29 from Napa, through St. Helena is completely unsat......way too much traffic and delays. Also avoid the urge to enter the Valley from the North, over Mount St Helena (no not the one that blew its top). Highway 29 runs South through Clearlake and over the mountain...NO GOOD. Steep, hairpins, walkers, bicycles, motorcycles...lousy combination. Avoid the temptation to travel from Santa Rosa to Calistoga, once again steep, very tight turns, lo tree branches, walkers, bicycles, sightseers, tour busses, cement trucks, cars parked along side the roadway. The Silverado Trail is the road less traveled and runs up the East Side of the Valley however once again watch out for the joggers, bicycles, walkers, sightseers and especially rental cars with foreign tourists who when spotting a winery simply slam on the brakes and stop...no warnings while they attempt to figure out how to make a 180 degree turn on a two lane, double yellow lined road.

gmcbuffalo
08-23-2008, 10:32 PM
In the late 90's there was a old campground with pool on the south side of the vallley tucked up against the hills. At the time it looked like it was on it's last leg. Condos may have taken over.
GregM

flyu2there
08-24-2008, 06:57 AM
In the late 90's there was a old campground with pool on the south side of the vallley tucked up against the hills. At the time it looked like it was on it's last leg. Condos may have taken over.
GregM

I think you are referring to Macedonian Park, about 6 miles south of Calistoga on the Silverado trail. As the name implies, this was a Greek Place with horse shoes, picknik tables and a pool an a smaller little RV Park in the rear.

It was on its last leg in the 60's but still may be there......it hasn't been open with any degree of frequency for years...

John

gmcbuffalo
08-24-2008, 07:30 PM
That's it. It was great exploring around it.
GregM