PDA

View Full Version : OTR AC - The New Intermittant Problem

Jerry Winchester
06-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Okay when I had this problem before, it turned out to be the circuit breaker for the condenser blower motor. Same thing happens to me on the last leg of my trip between Amarillo and Houston.

So, I jump out and reset the breaker with the requisite screwdriver and walla, it starts back up and all is well. I attributed it to the rough road (remember the first time it tripped was when we went over the rumble bumps) so we motor along and in 30 or 40 minutes it does it again.

We reset it again and in an hour, same thing.

So I think either the breaker is weak or there is a possible high amp problem with the blower motor. Jon suggested maybe the brushes last time, but I can't figure why it ran well for 3500 miles then crapped out. I wouldn't doubt that I could fire it up today and run it for two days with nothing happening.

Has this happen to anyone else? I can't believe the breaker could just get tired and lay down like Lew, but hey that could be the deal. It is a 105 amp breaker, so who knows.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Yup,

Its the breaker. Prevost has replaced that style with the big red button with a similar one with a smaller button. Same thing happened on my other coach.

Mine was the one in the ceiling of the first bay. I assume that is the one you are talking about.

Just Plain Jeff
06-14-2006, 08:36 AM
There is usually a reason why a circuit breaker flips. The Sled Dog and I have a general theory about mechanical things that are intermittent; "Well, let it rest awhile and see if it gets better." That may be too counterintuitive for many, but you'd be surprised.

I would check the OTR solenoid for operation, however. On our old crummy Liberty that went bad and was frying a cable little by little.

Circuit breaker popping: Not usually due to bumpy roads.

Jerry Winchester
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
I think it is the breaker simply because the unit runs well (no squeeling, screeching or clunking) and performs well. The first time it tripped was immediately after I hit the rumble strips. The second time was pulling off onto the shoulder and running over those cut out places on the side of the road. Its like it set up a harmonic thru the chassis that shook everything in there.

And yes it is the big one in the bay behind the OTR AC unit. There are actually two of them together. I reckon the other one is the evaparator blower motor breaker.

Just Plain Jeff
06-14-2006, 08:54 AM
http://www.thewrightevent.co.uk/images/4x4%20off%20road%20driving_247_165.JPG

Jerry: Not everyone is as adventurous with their bus as you are.

(Photo taken AFTER JDUB cleared rise, vehicle is attempting to keep up with d'bus)

Jerry Winchester
06-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Well no thanks to Jeff (who is just running around posting alleged photos of me), but thanks to Jon (who actually had the same problem) I have ordered the replacement breaker. And yes, it had been superseded by another part and no the new part number was not on the CD, but I did find the correct breaker and the old part number on it and when the Prevost chick on the Left Coast plugged in the number, the new number popped out. And they have them in Fort Worth, so there will be one crawling my way shortly.

And for those who might have missed it, remember that just because the Prevost Service Center in your time zone is closed, you can call one out West and they can take the order, check stock around the country and send the part from the nearest place. And I have done it several times and it has always worked.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2006, 08:26 PM
A side benefit to shopping Prevost parts around the country is if you delay ordering like I usually do a call to later time zones usually gets the parts delivered just like you did not order late.

Jerry Winchester
06-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Well that deed is done. The new breaker came in and just as Jon stated, the red button was way smaller than the old one. But it all bolts up the same, so no problem there. The real test won't come until we get it back out on the road.

Which may be a while. Lew, run to the other room while I tell this story.

My coach is blocked in due to a gear up landing :eek:

Yep you heard that right. I was in my airplane hanger doing some work this morning and after lunch I went to the other side of the field to my coach hanger and there had been a gear up landing (right before it rained two inches in 90 minutes) and the plane was reposited in the Tomball Jet hanger, directly in front of my coach. When I drove up, the FBO guys came out in a panic. They thought I was going to need to move my coach. However, much to their relief, I just needed to change out the above mentioned breaker. They said it would be gone in three days and I told the guy I wouldn't be gone in three months unless they truck it off the field (bad prop strike and minor gear door damage).

Just does to show you, never do touch and go's in a complex airplane and mistake the flap switch for the gear switch.

Okay Lew, you can come back in the room :)

Jerry Winchester
08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I should have ordered the evaporator blower motor circuit breaker when I ordered the condensor blower one. Evaporator kicked off line on my trip to the river and sure enough, the circuit breaker right next to the one I just changed (same style, same issue) tripped for no apparent reason.

I reset it and all is fine, but I ordered the replacement which takes about 15 minutes to install. In this 95 degree heat, driving with sweat running down the crack of your ...... well it just isn't fun. Even for Lew.

Jerry Winchester
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Well I reset it and all was not fine. I went to change out the breaker and found the problem. When I changed out the first breaker, there is a flat copper bar that connects the breakers. I forgot to tighten up with nut that connected it to the evaporator breaker, so it would amp up, heat up and trip.

Nut is tight and we made it to Oklahoma with the AC running in the "freeze your huevos off mode" and no problem. Now I have a new breaker in my stock of "Parts Jon Hauls in His Coach".

lewpopp
09-05-2006, 09:43 PM
And Jon has the nerve to call me "Ace Hardware". We should come up with a discriptive word for him. How about something like Mr Anal Parts Warehouser. Mr. APW.

Jerry Winchester
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
No Lew, I think Anal One or just A1 to his friends. I know if you call his house and Diane answers and you ask for the Anal One, she hands him the phone.

And I think storing parts that may be of some strategic use vs ballast may be the issue here. I myself have a fair collection of nuts and bolts; I kust don't carry them around with me :eek: