PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Crap!

dalej
08-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, does anyone care to guess where this bag of crap came from? Hint, I did get it off the bus and theres more!

Joe Cannarozzi
08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
That's insulation off the bottom. What are you doing down there.

I spent all day getting a refresher course on my Polish. Guess where we were.

dalej
08-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm going with Florida...you are at Marathon in Florida...final answer!

Jon Wehrenberg
08-22-2008, 07:30 AM
I am curious as to why the insulation needed to be removed. It could be from a side wall or ceiling as well as beneath the coach. If it was from under the coach I would expect to see more of the black sealant.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-22-2008, 07:37 AM
You may have nailed it Jon. I too have seen it there and I think I remember Dale mention that he wanted to redo his ceiling. Could be making a chase to run some wiring.

dalej
08-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Joe, how come you didn't tell me where you guys are!

Joe Cannarozzi
08-22-2008, 08:29 AM
How come you didn't tell where the insulation was from and what you are doing:p

dalej
08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
So here's the deal.

I was always tired to looking at the wheel wells since they were sprayed with a polystyrene type insulation. They would chip away and leave the yellow showing below the dark finish. I would get some black paint, usually before a rally and paint the wheel wells so it look nice.

When I changed out the air bags last year, I noticed that they sprayed the air lines too, didn't like that.

So I'm trying the front right wheel as a test to see how cleaning the old insulation away and replacing with two mud flaps. It will work to insulate this area from rock noise and road noise.

I will let you guys know after the trip to SD, since that will give me some road time to see if there is more noise. I hope not, since it looks much better.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I wish there was a way you could have measured noise levels before and after, Dale.

I suspect it is going to be louder. My Corvette is very loud at highway speeds compared to other vehicles. You do not realize how different road surfaces make noise until you can hear them, and once you start to hear the road noise you automatically notice it all the time.

truk4u
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Looks nice Dale...

wrongagain
08-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Go buy a noise level meter " db meter" and check one side to the other.
They are about $30.00 for a cheap radio shack special.

Will Garner
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Dale,

I could have sworn it was from a "Special Forces" attack by the Taco Twins while you were at Sevierville in April. Especially so since you said your bus had been in the barn since then. Looks like a bunch of sheep shearings to me! Tom, your windshield sheep did not have any fur either did it? I guess this is just one of those cases where one plus one did not equal two!

truk4u
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
No fur Will, but who knows what strange, deranged treatment the sheep was exposed to while in possession of the Turd Boys!:eek:

rfoster
08-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Dale: Looks good. I have noticed on the Lexus LS Full Size v8 cars the fender wells are lined with what looks like an outdoor grass carpet. I sure it is not carpet, probably pretty spendy stuff, but very effective in noise dampening.
\
Keep us posted on the resullts.

rickdesilva
08-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Dale
It looks great but I wonder what will happen if you have the unfortunate situation when the tire comes in contact with the material. At least the other stuff will scrub off, It looks like your "test side" is the passenger side Isn't that right under Jan's seat?

dalej
08-23-2008, 08:56 PM
what will happen if you have the unfortunate situation when the tire comes in contact with the material-Rick

Don't even talk that way. :)

hhoppe
08-24-2008, 10:38 AM
DaleJ: It's nice to have at least one guy with some class in our midst. That same regeon has bugged me on both of my coach's. Looks good, don't forget to paint the fastener heads with black paint. There is a sound insulation/sound deadener in a can available that would work also. It sets up hard and will not peel off. I used it on my truck restoration.Gioodstuff.

wwwcoolcarceramic.com

phorner
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks good to me! Have you considered painting the whole surface with an undercoating type of material? Might stay on and hide the bolt heads a little...

Loc
08-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Dale.

That looks great. I have resorted in the past to black spray paint in the wheel wells when the foam gets nicked. I like your idea. Let us know on the noise.

Jon,

The Corvette is loud because of too much use of the long pedal on the right.

dale farley
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Dale, This looks like a great idea. I too have used the spray paint several times. I don't think your tires will hit the new rubber you installed.

Jerry Winchester
08-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Will,

That was way harsh. We will be sending harsh reply answers with a new tool just out from R&D.