PDA

View Full Version : What are these parts??

sawdust_128
08-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Does any body recognize these? Part of a tow bar assembly but are these particular to the previous owners TOAD? Brand?

P.S. I know the belt and the Lic. Plate bracket -- just in case.;)

Maybe a Blue Ox adapter to Roadmaster?

rickdesilva
08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I believe that those are parts from a Roadmaster tow bar. The long piece is the part that attaches to the towbar. The other 2 smaller pieces are pieces that attach to the vehicle. Usually those 2 smaller pieces are particular to a specific make and model of vehicle.

sawdust_128
08-19-2008, 12:45 AM
I think you are correct. I looked at the roadmaster web and it looks very similar.

Lee Bornstein
08-19-2008, 02:10 AM
It is definitely a Roadmaster. The rusty pieces slip into brackets that are attached to the frame of the car. Those brackets are part of the "base plate" and without the brackets that were left on the car the stuff you have is basically worthless unless you find someone with same type car that had a front-end collision and bent up their tow bar brackets.

Lee

sawdust_128
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
It is definitely a Roadmaster. The rusty pieces slip into brackets that are attached to the frame of the car. Those brackets are part of the "base plate" and without the brackets that were left on the car the stuff you have is basically worthless unless you find someone with same type car that had a front-end collision and bent up their tow bar brackets.

Lee

Yes. That makes sense. I won't use them, but I thought if I knew what they were, I could at least advertise them availible to anyone who would want to arrange to get them. Maybe I'll send the picture to Roadmaster with the question. I hate to dump them in the scrap steel bin if they will help someone out.

Do you think they are worth the effort? Are they safe? I just don't know Roadmaster at all.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-19-2008, 03:32 PM
They are valuable. Either hang on to them for future use or find someone that needs them.

I think those are the universal parts that mate up to the custom receivers that ount on the vehicle chassis.

sawdust_128
08-19-2008, 10:31 PM
They are valuable. Either hang on to them for future use or find someone that needs them.

I think those are the universal parts that mate up to the custom receivers that ount on the vehicle chassis.

Sorry to be dense. Are those custom receivers on the coach or towed vehicle? I don't recollect seeing any receivers on the coach that they would mate up to.

Do you agree with the previous initial assessment that they look like Roadmaster parts (custom or not)?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Yes, they look like Roadmaster parts. The parts with the square tubing slide into receivers that are permanently mounted to a toad, generally somewhat hidden. The long part then drops onto those parts and the folding tow bar is mounted to it with heavy bolts.

That way when the toad is not being used as a toad the folding tow bar can be removed.

I have seen a trend however to where the tow bar is attached to the coach using the coach hitch receiver, and the tow bar then attaches to attach points on the toad. That way the toad never has a tow bar folded on its front. The tow bar is stowed by folding it against the rear bumper of the bus.

Bring them with you to Spearfish. If you do not want them somebody might. Personally I prefer that method to the one in which the two bar folds against the bus rear bumper.

truk4u
08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Dust Man,

Here is what Jon's talking about. I had several of these and you either have the one as pictured that attaches to the 2" ball on your receiver or the one that is actually the receiver itself and eliminates the 2" ball.

sawdust_128
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
The parts in the picture are the only parts I have. They were left by the previous owner. Being the nit picker that I am at times, I will clean and paint these and hold for someone who can use them. I will be ordering the Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar today.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Sawdust: Don't forget to order the Locking Kit and the wiring harness needed to provide power to your Toad Lights.

BX8869
Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit
Does not tap into vehicle existing wiring, simple to install, fits most vehicles with clearance in taillight housing, operated by the towing vehicle.

BX88177 4-Lock Kit
(2 lbs.) Contains 2 - 1/2" locks and 2 - 5/8" locks.
Locks Blue Ox towbar to the baseplate and receiver. Prevents accidental unhitching. Sturdy construction for strength and durability.

Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar This is the identical kit and set up I put on my Hummer H3 for towing. I always use the barrell locks when I tow. This prevents tampering with your towbar by anyone during a trip.

Gary S.

sawdust_128
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Sawdust: Don't forget to order the Locking Kit and the wiring harness needed to provide power to your Toad Lights.

BX8869
Does not tap into vehicle existing wiring, simple to install, fits most vehicles with clearance in taillight housing, operated by the towing vehicle.

BX88177 4-Lock Kit
(2 lbs.) Contains 2 - 1/2" locks and 2 - 5/8" locks.
Locks Blue Ox towbar to the baseplate and receiver. Prevents accidental unhitching. Sturdy construction for strength and durability.

Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar This is the identical kit and set up I put on my Hummer H3 for towing. I always use the barrell locks when I tow. This prevents tampering with your towbar by anyone during a trip.

Gary S.

Thanks Gary. I had the 8869 on my list to order. That 88177 lock kit, are they all keyed the same? I hadn't been able to confirm that.

Also, are there any things that you don't like about the Aventa LX setup? How are the safety cables that are included? Do those give you a level of comfort, or are you considering heavier replacements?

Last, is the Aventa a setup that can be stored on the coach hitch, or is it something that needs to be removed and stored?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am buying in the blind in that I haven't eye-balled the towbar.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Gary. I had the 8869 on my list to order. That 88177 lock kit, are they all keyed the same? I hadn't been able to confirm that.

Yes they are all keyed alike, and you have one extra barrel that you can use on your tow vehicle to lock the bike rack?

Also, are there any things that you don't like about the Aventa LX setup? How are the safety cables that are included? Do those give you a level of comfort, or are you considering heavier replacements?

I like this setup fine, the safety cables are extra heavy with hooks and work great. Remember to X connect the cable from right to left and over the tow bar for optimum results. NO Heavier replacements needed IMO.

Last, is the Aventa a setup that can be stored on the coach hitch, or is it something that needs to be removed and stored?

The Aventa LX is stored on the bus leaving nothing on the toad, except the virtually invisible base plates. However if you want to remove from the back of the bus, it is easily done, then stored in the bay or garage.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am buying in the blind in that I haven't eye-balled the towbar.

No problem about the questions, I am glad I am able to finally help someone for a change, instead of always recieving the help! That is why we joined POG, for all the right answers from experienced people.

One more comment, I also added to my toad the Light wiring harness kit. For the install they ADD a light socket in your rear tail lamp assembly, and the wires are run directly from the front harness socket to the back tail /stop lights they just added. No splicing of toad wires for your Aux toad lights. Again IMO it is a great set up.

BX8869

Gary S.

sawdust_128
08-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Another question, Who did your install and would it be too much to ask the ballpark on costs for the service?

Thanks

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Another question, Who did your install and would it be too much to ask the ballpark on costs for the service?
Thanks

I had Discount Hitch do the install. They are a Blue Ox Authorized Dealer and could do all that I needed. There are a number of them in the Houston area. Check on Blue Ox's website for a dealer near you. Then call them to be sure they have everything you need in stock and are able to work with a bus and toad your size in their lot?

I think the labor was about $300. I don't have the invoice here it is on the bus.

Good Luck I think you will be happy with this system.

Gary S.