PDA

View Full Version : Need advise

sawdust_128
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
We will be going to pick up our coach sometime soon after the 21st of Aug. Liberty Coach has suggested we stay there for as long as we need and take advantage of their techs for answering questions and getting familiar with the coach. This we will do.

Need some advise on what we should be sure to take along. This question is more focused on things that we might not be aware of because of particulars of a Prevost, an H3 45, or a Featherlite.

So any of you who can remember back to the first time you picked up a coach, please chime in.

Also, thinking about staying at a camp ground in the area near Liberty so that if neeeded, we can get right back to them. Any suggestions?

dalej
08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
The Prevost conversions are such a complex home on wheels that you can not try to learn and retain the information that will be givin to you in such a short amount of time. I think it has to do with part of the brain being so excited about the whole thing.

Just learn how to do the basics, i.e startup and shutdown of the bus. Get out on the road or in a rv park then you will start to understand the systems that make up these machines.

It really takes a bit of time to get a feel of what you have. Don't sweat the small things and have fun with what's ahead.

P.S. make sure you have your cell phone and two credit cards.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Ed, take along a video camera and have your wife video you and the tech, With sound, when you get various instructions.

Enjoy, you old woodwacker. :p:D

JIM:)

Loc
08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
If you have a video camera take it with you (although it sounds lame) and film the techs walking you through each any every process. Ask lots of questions and film what they are doing. There is no way to retain this information even for the best note taker. Then you can watch the video while you are at Liberty and then make questions about issues and processes that you are not sure about and get them to walk you through it again while you film. Be sure to get them to show you where all of the major systems and components are located. Have them walk you through everything that you will do with the bus. Connecting and disconnecting to shore power, dumping and filling the tanks, running the generator (setting the auto start both on and off), running the audio and video equipment in the bus, monitoring electrical loads, operating the inverters, etc. Jon has a great checklist in the Articles section of the website.

rfoster
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Take advantage of Libertys hospitality by staying at their facility for the learning curve. They have nice grounds out back for their customeres and each day you will think of more questions for them to answer. It won't be a simple yes or no after a day or two. After two days and nights I was ready and anxious to hit the road wanting to burn diesel fuel. In hindsight, I would advise taking your time

My wife and I flew in with our tooth brushes and a few changes of clothes cause she elected to shop daily for what we needed. Sheets, towels, food, drink, tp paper plates etc. The area is loaded with numerous retail shopping centers. The personal touch thingy changes often in some case- so don't worry about that stuff,

I can see the grin from here.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree with Roger and Loc. You don't know what you don't know until you need to know. Step one needs to be living in it and using every device, appliance, and switch. Use the microwave, the cooktop, the BBQ, and any other kitchen appliances.

Learn how to fill it with water manually and automatically if equipped that way. Learn how to dump.

Learn how to manage your electric power. You need to learn where to monitor incoming voltages and loads, and where and how to monitor the house DC power in addition to the shore or generator AC power. Operate various big loads like air conditioners, water heater, cooktop etc. and learn the loads and figure how to keep your 50 amp shore power connections at 40 amps or less.

Learn your inverters.

Learn all the start modes on the generator and use them. Unplug and dry camp until you have run through the cycle of generator start and stop.

Make sure everything works because it is the best time to find out something needs to be repaired. If you can do it, take the bus out and run if for a few hours and check things like pressures, temperatures and how to operate all the features such as the Jake or retarder, levelling, tag lift, floor slide, door locks, etc.

Then go back and sit for a few days to see if it leans after being levelled.

When you have gotten stir crazy, or when the folks know you by your first name at Wal-Mart it is time to go home.

phorner
08-13-2008, 09:51 PM
We stayed a week getting to know the coach and getting everything resolved to our satisfaction. As you try out all the different systems, a week goes by pretty fast!

The Outdoor Resorts at Saint Lucie West is about a 20 minute drive to the north, just off I-95, if you decide to move.

Have fun! :)

lewpopp
08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I was just ready to say the same thing about Outdoor Resorts in Port St Lucie. After you think you have spent enough time at Liberty, head down the road to ODR. You can get a free 3 day pass. go online and they are right there. If you need more than 3 days there, call me and you can use my lot for awhile. You have to call me first so I can let the office know the scoop. 607-329-0403

If you have any problems, you're only a short jaunt to Liberty. This would be a smart move only after you have exhausted Liberty after several days.

Liberty is very good in ansering all of your questions because they deal with a lot of Liberty assholes everyday.

phorner
08-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Nice talk, Lew....

Come come you never brought this up while trying to sniff out a free meal from the Liberty folks??? :eek:

sawdust_128
08-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks to all of you and the archives of this forum, I feel comfortable on the tech side. Well, at least as comfortable in that I have an idea of what to expect and need to accomplish.

Video taping all of this has been a part of our plan all along, and thak you for the reminder on that.

Port St. Lucie seems to fit the bill pretty well, I'll follow up on that, Thank you.

Lew: Thank you for the offer of your lot and the tip on the free, three-day pass. I will call you and let you know how plans and schedules are comming together. I have looked across the web and cannot find a calculator for the LEWBUCKS exchange rate. Point me to it when we talk.

Let me ask another question: During this delivery, do I have time to do things like touch-up, waxing, polishing, etc? I was figuring that after a time I might be overloaded on the systems. I could burn off some of the frustrations and aggrevation doing some maintenance and separate inspections. Possible? Or, do you think that there won't be opportunity?

Thanks in advance.

tdelorme
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
"Let me ask another question: During this delivery, do I have time to do things like touch-up, waxing, polishing, etc? I was figuring that after a time I might be overloaded on the systems. I could burn off some of the frustrations and aggrevation doing some maintenance and separate inspections. Possible? Or, do you think that there won't be opportunity?"

You are buying the coach from Liberty, right? It will not need any touch-up, waxing or polishing. They will have that bus looking like new when you arrive. There is no one better to deal with and I'll bet you will have very few aggravations or frustrations. Go have fun and don't expect to learn everything all at once.

garyde
08-14-2008, 12:44 AM
The benefit of buying a Coach from Liberty is you join the Liberty Family. Now that may sound corny until you actually arrive there and see for yourself . I stayed one and a half days. I could have stayed much longer but was anxious to get going. They have places to park and hook up so stay as long as you want, come and go as much as you feel is needed. I have Troy's cell number (Liberty's top Tech). He picks up almost everytime I call which isn't much. He know's the Liberty product top to bottom. If you want to buff and Polish, go for it but I agree with the others, your Coach will look like new.

Jeff Bayley
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
You asked about RV parks near there. There's a clean and nice RV park in Pt. St. Lucie in the Passport America club that is 50% off with the Passport America membership which is under $50 to join just in case you don't want to pay the price at Outdoor Resorts. It's new, clean and quiet. Even has a little lake in the middle. Just go to Passport America's site and search by city and it will come up.

bonhall41
08-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Stay as long as you can. We picked up our coach earlier this year at Featherlite and had to have a few things taken care of so we couldn't be in the coach. Then we had to leave as soon the changes were made so we didn't get much of an orientation. We thought this wouldn't be a big deal since we've had RVs for years. Wrong! There's nothing like a Prevost conversion so my advice is to video, take notes and ask questions. You'll probably never have their attention as much as you do when you pick it up so take advantage of it. Good luck and happy travels! :D