PDA

View Full Version : Bus Load of Kids

dale farley
08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Although, I am normally of the opinion that the bus is not large enough for more than about four people at a time, we've had a group of 11 young people in ours several times in the last month.

The two pictures below are a sample of our newly formed family while in working in Yellowstone from May until September. The 11 young people are from China, Hong Kong, Columbia, Equador and Taiwan, and they are all very honest and respectful. They are all between the ages of 18-21 and have the highest work ethics I've seen in this generation in a long time. Although most of these kids have never been in a church in their lives, they have excellent moral values. I've never heard one of them use a curse word or even say anything derrogatory about another person.

We've been privileged to really get close to them by working with them in the Yellowstone Lake General Store, taking them on numerous 5-mile hikes and transporting them to nearby cities to visit such exotic places as WalMart, Pizza Hut and Arbys. After building a trusting relationship with them for a couple months, we have recently been able to introduce them to God and to church life.

Fortunately, they have been very receptive to this new knowledge. Although, some had no knowledge of God, they were very happy that we gave them their very own Bible. They all speak at least 3 languages, and we were surprised that they preferred a Bible written in simple English rather than one written in Chinese. They have to work most Sundays, because some of us "old" people want to be off, but the 3 kids that were off today, were thrilled that we took them to church with us to Cody, Wy (160 mile round trip).

The opportunity, privilege and rewards we've had to work with these young people have been a total surprise to us, and a great use of our Prevost. The first time we invited them to the bus, they spread the word that we live in a "Castle". Although, they are not from poor families, our bus is as large as some of their houses.

We hope we have been able to make a small difference in their lives, but we are very aware that we are fortunate to have learned many valuable lessons from them and created many lasting memories for ourselves. Thanks for your indulgence. Dale

BrianE
08-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Dale & Paulette, Those kids are very lucky to have found you two as mentors. In the short time that Beverly and I have known you folks I can't tell you how nice it's been to revisit the old time values that you credit to your faith.

sawdust_128
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Proof that great human rewards are gifts in return for simple human kindness. Good for you.

dale farley
08-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Brian, Thanks for your kind remarks. I hope everyone understands that my reason for the post was to express my appreciation for the opportunity we've had to work with these kids, and to share that experience with our friends on the forum.

merle&louise
08-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Dale & Paulette,

God blesses those who help others; its what He wants us to do.

You are good people and I am proud to call you friends.:D

dalej
08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Dale,

Thank's for sharing this with us. Those kids received a blessing from you two being at the park that they will pass to someone else along the way.

It sure has looked like the Yellowstone trip has been a blessing to you and Paulette.

What did those kids say when they first layed eyes on your bus? I can only think that most only thought bus's came in yellow.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Wonderful post Dale, thanks for sharing. You show that we are truly in a global society.

MangoMike
08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Great use for the bus.

Nice job.

Mike

dale farley
08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Dalej,

The kids were very surprised at the size of the bus, outside and inside, and they can't believe the decor. As I mentioned in the first post, they told others that we live in a "Castle." Some said if they ever get rich, they would love to live in an "RV Car" like we have, but there is no room in Hong Kong for such a vehicle. They think it is so neat to have mirrors on all the ceilings, and they make pictures of themselves in the mirrors every time they come to the bus. You're right about the yellow Yellowstone buses; they are everywhere in the Park.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Dale, you and Paulette are doing more good than you can ever imagine. What a great way to share what this country is all about.

JIM KELLER
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Dale, It sounds like that trip to Yellowstone was just what you and Paulette needed. Thanks for sharing.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Paulette and Dale

I'm speechless. There is nothing I can add to the responses and your actions themselves speak volumes:)

rmboies
08-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Dale, you and Paulette are doing more good than you can ever imagine. What a great way to share what this country is all about.

Dale and Paulette,

Your deep abiding faith shines through in everything you do.....these kids were blessed to have you two as mentors and to show them that there are other paths in life and freedom to allow choices. Bless you both!

Debi

lewpopp
08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey traveling with that group of students sure must have been a thrill.

One better is traveling 30 yrs ago with our 7 children all across this wonderful land.. As we would lose one to college or whatever it never seemed the same. BUT...we had more room as each one went their own way. Nothing will ever replace those memories.

And did you notice I wasn't the slightest bit grouchy. Meds are working.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I was thinking, those poor kids;) It might be interesting to here some of those same stories from your children's perspective.

garyde
08-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey traveling with that group of students sure must have been a thrill.

One better is traveling 30 yrs ago with our 7 children all across this wonderful land.. As we would lose one to college or whatever it never seemed the same. BUT...we had more room as each one went their own way. Nothing will ever replace those memories.

And did you notice I wasn't the slightest bit grouchy. Meds are working.

Boy, your so right Lew regarding the kids. It goes by so quick, you have to
enjoy every day . Our three oldest are doing other things now but we have our 10 year old son still hanging with us.