PDA

View Full Version : Few other Questions about Belts

adamdegraff
08-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Please don't yell at me if this is a stupid question. I'm really busy getting my family packed up for this tour:eek::eek::eek:

I want to have with me in my bus a complete set of replacement belts. (I may already have this from the previous owner, but they are getting a little old by now.) The ones on now are in very good shape. And God willing, I will never need to use a replacement.

Question 1: How do I go about ordering a full set of belts without ordering from Prevo$t? Are the belt numbers in my manual somewhere? Can I just read the number off the belt? Is there a good mail order place? Gates belts have a nice reputation on this site... do they just drop ship or do I have to order through a dealer?

Question 2: How many belts does my bus have? Ok, obviously I can count. But are there any that I can't see or that are hidden... or that are less obvious?

Questions 3: How do I put them on? I'm good at figuring stuff like this out, but if there are instructions anywhere, I'm all about reading about it first. I'm particularly concerned with proper tensioning? Any tips? Does my bus auto tension? I think it might as it is a 1995 series 60, 6 speed Allison. I'm thinking I'll put the new set on while the bus is sitting in the driveway, thus starting this tour off with a fresh set and guaranteeing myself a replacement that fits should I need one.

If any of you POG-files know of good articles, please, link away.

Thank you all for your help. And please, if you are POG and want to come to a concert, email me and if the show isn't already sold out, I'll leave you free tickets at will call.

Safe travels,

Adam (Shoving off in 2 weeks!)

Sid Tuls
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Adam, just check your website man do you have a busy year ahead of you!! Hope all your travels go smooth. When your on the west coast and need anything give me a call. I will try to make a concert.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-09-2008, 09:49 PM
If the belts that are on now look good and feel tight and you already have spares you are good to go. I have never used a tensioning tool in my life.

If you do not have enough confidence in yourself regarding something like belt tension maybe you need to take it to a service center.

bluevost
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Adam,

Assuming my '95 CC and your 96 Marathon are the same in the engine bay, this is the belt number that runs the gearbox for the radiator fan and dash a/c compressor--Dayco AX74, you need three of them. About $10.00 each from Prevost. The belt on the engine itself is Dayco 5120720, probably $50 or $60 bucks. This belt or equivalent should be available in any large truck stop or Detroit D. place. Also Jack14R may know where to get them. The other belts that gives me fits may be CC specific as it goes to the CC over-the-road AC, but the number is BX93. These are the only belts I can help you with.

Have a great tour,

Ken

truk4u
08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Ken,

Good timing, see my post on Busted Knuckles about the BX93's..