PDA

View Full Version : Great Prevost Electrical Systems Article by Jon

Jim Skiff
08-08-2008, 10:25 AM
This article is by Jon Wehrenberg. Jon will present the topic at Spearfish with Truk. It is my understanding there will be a hands on demonstration at a coach or coaches.

Prevost Electrical Systems (http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=5765&publicationtype=Articles)

jello_jeep
08-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Jon AND Truk?????

Skiffer, do you have a sponser for towing?? <just kidding> :p

This article is by Jon Wehrenberg. Jon will present the topic at Spearfish with Truk. It is my understanding there will be a hands on demonstration at a coach or coaches.

Prevost Electrical Systems (http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=5765&publicationtype=Articles)

Joe Cannarozzi
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
SMI is that sponsor.

sawdust_128
08-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Thank you Jon.

Excellent.

dalej
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Jon! Do you just dictate to Di what to type? Man that's a lot of typing!

Great article by the way!

Jon Wehrenberg
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I didn't realize how much there was until I sent it to Skiffer.

I'm the typist and Eric Faires was good enough to be my editor. He reviewed it, corrected my errors, suggested how to improve it so it could be more easily understood, and the acid test will be at Spearfish. That is the outline of the seminar.

truk4u
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
No credit for any of this on my end, I am merely providing a different version of the electrical systems for Jon to make his pitch.

Sid Tuls
08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I'am considering putting a CB radio in my coach the queston I have is this- What do I need to know ahead of time before I go to a CB shop? I look at the wires in the carpartment on driver's side and think oh boy I can just see a guy trying to tie into what he thinks will work. Any advice on this? I really don't much care for CB's but will come in handy when I start traveling with other members & for some info when stuck in L.A. traffic. Thanks

dalej
08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Sid,

On my bus the converter pulled a good source of 12v over the steer bay. I can tie into this anytime for anything. You should look over things in this area.

The area you are talking about is all 24v on mine.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Depending on where the closest 12V power source is relative to where the CB is going to be hanging you can pull a wire from either a chassis or house electric supply.

Where ever it comes from I would urge that it be fused at the connection point as well as using the fuse holder supplied with the CB. One potential source I would consider would be pulling the power from the seat. I presume the seat electric controls are 12V, and unless you intend to run the seat through its paces while keying the mike I see no problem. That's the lazy man's answer.

garyde
08-11-2008, 09:57 PM
On purchasing a CB. You might consider a portable that plugs into a cigarette lighter. Also, you have to get a CB antenna mounted up top.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Sid I have some info for you.

First those CB's that are all built in to the mic are very convenient but are also very lacking so you first need to decide what is most important to you.

This is what I run and many others too.

First I have a CB that has a meter to check SWR's to ensure proper operation and range, Cobra is a good one. Additionally mine has a built in weather alert that will WAKE THE DEAD with its siren in the event of a weather alert, even when it is off.

The length of the coax for the antenna and how you install it is also crucial, specifically 18 ft of coax. When you run it do not wad it in a ball and zip tie it together. In fact you want to run it back and forth in a manner so it does not overlap itself either.

The antenna should be 3 ft I use "the fire stick". It should be mounted on the drivers side for maximum range, the mass of the bus will block a long range signal to some degree from the passenger side.

The best mic is "Road King" and it will not come with the radio a cheep one will. This mic is "noise canceling", designed to be used right up against your mouth and then adjusted accordingly with mic-gain. The weak link in any mic is the cord where it come out of the terminal that plugs into the radio. I take and secure that cord to something an inch or two out with a zip tie so it is not being "tugged on" all the time causing a short. This problem is VERY COMMON.

The best place to go for all this stuff is ask local truckers where the best CB shop is, often they are located in truckstops. Make an appointment and have it installed you will be glad you did. They can tune and peak it for you too. Have them install a feature called "talk-back" that allows you to here yourself and be able to adjust the mic-gain perfectly. It also give you the luxury of hearing problems with the audio as they occur.

I do not care for external power enhancers, If you follow my suggestions you will have good range without one.

You also want a good external speaker. Experiment here and get one that has the audio that you like.

If you combine an external speaker with talk-back the speaker needs to be directed away from the mic to prevent feedback so mount the speaker last.

If this interests or you need questions answered at purchase point feel free to call anytime and we can talk, my number is at Dales map.

I am sorry this has gotten a bit long but it is all relevant.

Sid Tuls
08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the info. I guess I like Gary's because it's simple and no drilling. Gary where can I find the one your talking about?

Joe, thanks for all your info that you wrote down I might take you up on the phone call. The problem is I hear all that junk on the cattle trucks and sure don't need my wife hearing all that______!

garyde
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Check these out. http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&num=10&safe=images&q=handheld+cb+radio&lnk=qsugt

And this one. http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=75-822%20D17919&source=fr

Joe Cannarozzi
08-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Sid I agree with you in fact up until now I did not even run a CB in the bus.

After listening to all that nonsense all day all week all year in the truck I used to like to get away from it. Now that I have sold it I will install it in the bus.

It can be very high maintenence if incorrectly set-up and disappointing if performance is lacking and I thought I would relay all that I have learned over the years for the folks:)

If I have a problem out on the road in the bus I will not be reaching for the CB, I'm calling Jon:rolleyes:

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
On purchasing a CB. You might consider a portable that plugs into a cigarette lighter. Also, you have to get a CB antenna mounted up top.

GaryDe: Do you have a PORTABLE CB that you can use inside the bus?

Our handheld will not work inside the bus, nor will it even work inside Pegs car to talk to me in the bus. She uses the portable outside the bus, when she is directing me around big rocks and small children in the parks. I have a Cobra mounted in the dash, but even my antennae wiring is not run properly as Joe points out.

Sid, I think Joe's answer is the best. Have a top of the line unit, and antennae properly installed in your bus, or you will be just wasting your money.

My .02 cents worth.

Gary S.

dalej
08-12-2008, 09:52 AM
It you ever get a chance to run in a group of bus's headed to a rally, you'll be glad you spent the money on a good system.

Listening to Lew....priceless

Sid Tuls
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Gary S. you are so right I'am not handy at all with hooking up stuff myself. Case in point the lens you sent me well I thought I knew what I was doing till one of my buddies said Sid stick to the cattle business. Oh by the way Gary I owe ya a steak dinner. My only concern is will a truck CB shop know anything about hooking up to a bus? Also I've seen other buses have the antenna mounted on the driver's side-I wonder if they ever they have ever done this? One more thing would I be better off going to Prevost Mira Loma and have them do it?--- Another good reason to get in the coach!!

dalej
08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Gary S. you are so right-Sid

This will surely come back to haunt us. :)

hhoppe
08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Sid: One of the main reason for mounting as far left on the drivers side as you can get is trees. When driving on roads with low hanging trees the antenna on the passenger side gets banged and damaged. The CB is usually mounted near the driver so a minimum of electric and antenna cable will be required on that side. If you use a headset your wife will not be exposed to the foul language entering. Most wives want that noisy thing shut off and that will do it.
Good Luck

garyde
08-13-2008, 01:32 AM
My CB came with the Bus. Its a Cobra Soundtracker. My antenna is on top of the coach and its a small antenna, maybe 12 inches in height.
I believe even with the portables you need a antenna on top of you coach and not a built in antenna.
My CB only is good for reception up to maybe a half a mile. Hills, trees, bldgs, etc. all reduce its performance.
Joe C. is correct about the Antenna and the microphone.
Having said all that, I rarely use the darn thing. It's great for caravaning with other members, but its range is very limited. So, a portable s probably a good starting point if you do not want to invest a load of money for a small return.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Gary S. you are so right-Sid
This will surely come back to haunt us. :)

Dale, consider your self HAUNTED !!!:eek:

Gary S.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Sid if I were you I would call in your area, where ever you are at the present and find, a Good High End Car Stereo dealer.

Custom Car Stereo comes to mind in Houston, but call and ask who ever you find in your area if they have ever put in radios, or CB's in motorhomes?

Make sure they have done that kind of work before, and quiz them about their install and any problems they had. Then take nice pictures of your bus, dash and roof area, and take it into them and see what they say about the job after seeing the bus.

I am sure there are custom radio installers that can do an excellent job for you, because that is what they do. I know two different companies here in Houston that I would refer you to, if you were close to Houston.

Gary S.