PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Launch Titusville

jack14r
08-07-2008, 09:37 AM
There is a shuttle launch scheduled for 2-12-09 and I am considering going to Titusville,can anyone recommend a campground and the best place to view the launch.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Jack, Stay at The Great Outdoors and from there you can drive to any number of places to see the launch.

Personally I would go to Port Canaveral, but there are numerous places to park.

Jerry Winchester
08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
The guy who flew on our right wing on the flight to OSH is the Flight Dynamics guy in Mission Control Houston and we were quizing him on just this thing. I think several of us are thinking about making this shuttle launch, so maybe this is a mini rally opportunity?

I know the Krakman will be there because the ACME factory is in that part of the country....

rfoster
08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I could get in on this, we watched from a rest area last January on the way to PSL.

We could watch the shuttle launch and the acme air strikes.

This is in Jody and Bills front yard at Titusville.

Yep, keep me posted.

jack14r
08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Jerry,I have been told that there are some special tickets that senators and government officials can get,can the mission control guy verify if that is true.If it is true I will contact my senator with a donation and try to get some.

Jerry Winchester
08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Jack,

I am thinking the same thing, so I will chat him up and find out what the deal is. I am hoping for some insight and maybe a pre-launch tour, so I hope he is the in the know.

If the senator route is correct, I know the Oklahoma senator well, but neither of the Texas ones, so I am sure between us we can somehow come up with some seats if they are to be had.

JDUB

truk4u
08-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm in, tickets are available at Acme for their Premium Account Customers, so Jdub and Mango can hook us up. ;)

rmboies
08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm in, tickets are available at Acme for their Premium Account Customers, so Jdub and Mango can hook us up. ;)

We could get on board for this one too! I'm afraid we don't know any Senators though......Many years ago Bob's business made a part for the arm that holds the space shuttle.....I doubt that would get us a ticket though:rolleyes: JDUB, a tour would be very cool! Any suggestions on how to get tickets, where to meet, where to stay?

jack14r
08-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Jon's suggestion of The Great Outdoors looks very nice,it is also in the big rigs book.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Jack here are a few pics from TheGreatOutdoors Titusville.

Some of the locals are very friendly.

Some are not:eek: Keep small dogs on a short leash!

lewpopp
08-10-2008, 09:43 PM
As soon as you lock in the time you can spend for the launch and you get there, they cancel each day because of problems. I can understand that, so don't think you are being dumped of if it happens.

I saw a flight from TGO long ago and it was stupendous.

lewpopp
08-10-2008, 09:44 PM
BUT... If there was a mini rally there is would take a lot of the pain out of the sojourn

jack14r
08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Looks great Joe
I got an email from my senators helper today and he said that they would help me after the election,I guess I need to contribute more money.

bonhall41
08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
We have seen a launch from the Space Center and think you can see it better from Titusville. We would be interested in a mini rally in February on our way to Daytona 500. Keep us posted.

Lee Bornstein
08-13-2008, 12:31 AM
I'll be in the area in Feb - thats the week wife is going on a cruise with her girly friends so I'm all alone with the dogs. I'll probably need a Prevost Fix by then.

I could make it to Titusville too!

Lee

merle&louise
08-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Jack,

Count us in for the mini rally in Titusville. What is the arrival day and how many days are you staying?

jack14r
08-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Tuga,I just wanted to see a shuttle launch,but the question of where to stay turned into a mini rally.If NASA stays on schedule I would like to get to Titusville on 2-11-09 and stay a few days.What does everyone else think?The great thing about a trip like this is if the shuttle launch gets scrubbed we still had a great time.

merle&louise
08-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Good Jack, we will arrive on the 11th and book a site for about 3 or 4 days. We have never seen a launch so we are kind of excited about it. If NASA cancels the launch, we can sit around and tell lies:D

shookie
08-15-2008, 08:43 PM
hello all...linda and i will be on siesta key (sarasota) from the 14 th to the 21 st...bus will be in pennsylvania...but we will be around...like to catch up if possible....shookie

jack14r
08-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I made a reservation with the great outdoors today 1-800 621 2267 and Cindy said that they only have about a dozen sites left for the time period of 2-11 through 2-14.I told her there would be more POG members coming and she said anyone that will tell them that we are with POG they will put us together.I guess that if anyone wants to be sure of a space,they should book it soon.

bonhall41
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I say the official story is that if the launch is postponed, we were there anyway whenever it happened--and had front row seats in the VIP viewing section. :D

bonhall41
08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
I was really looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks at the shuttle launch but just checked the dates and that's the week of the Daytona 500 so that's where we will be but might drive down for the day to see the launch. If they launch to the north, we'll be able to see it from there. Hope y'all have a fun time.

Bonnie

lewpopp
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Bonnie, they will launch straight up and not over Daytona. You'll be able to see it from there if the atmosphere is clear.

bonhall41
08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Lew,

With all due respect, when rendezvousing with the ISS, the space shuttle launch trajectory takes it northward up the East Coast. You're right, if it's clear, we should be able to see it from Daytona. We've seen it from Orlando as well as from the Space Center. When seeing it from the Space Center, we lost it pretty quickly because the viewing area is south of the launch pads. It's really something to see if you've never experienced it. Of course, you can probably see more on TV. I'd really like to see a night launch sometime.

Bonnie

rfoster
08-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Yea, but you gotta be there to "feel" the noise.:cool:

bonhall41
08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
For sure. There's nothing quite like it. :cool:

Bonnie

lewpopp
08-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I was lucky enough to see a nite launch and viewed it from The Great Outdoors. What a spectacular show.

Bonnie, what is the ISS?

bonhall41
08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
International Space Station :D

dmark1
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
The guy who flew on our right wing on the flight to OSH is the Flight Dynamics guy in Mission Control Houston and we were quizing him on just this thing. I think several of us are thinking about making this shuttle launch, so maybe this is a mini rally opportunity?

I know the Krakman will be there because the ACME factory is in that part of the country....

Great idea - I would love to make this trip!

phorner
09-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Looks like this event may be shaping up as a genuine mini-rally.

We made our reservations today for February 11 through 14, hoping that the shuttle launch will take place on schedule. Cindy at TGO said that they would try their best to keep us together, although this is the height of their peak season.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

As an aside, we should have plenty of room at the Outdoor Resorts in St. Lucie West (and hopefully, we can wrangle out a discounted rate) for anyone wanting to extend their stay in South Florida. Last year, we had a private RV show during this same period that was very successful and hopefully it will be re-scheduled for the same time frame in '09. Marathon, Liberty, Vantare, and Amadas coaches were all represented there.

Jerry Winchester
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I didn't call TGO until today and am on the waiting list. However, he said it shouldn't be a problem and would call me in a couple of days.

I tried to book the 11th, 12th and 13th.

I think we are also booking Fort Wilderness for the following weekend.

rfoster
10-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I am off the waiting list now, I got a call back from Dianne at Titusville and I am in the Rally portion of TGO for the 11, 12, and 13th of Feb for the launch. I took a promise that she would move me into a regular spot between now and February.

Jerry Winchester
10-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I got the same call today and I think Coloradobus is hanging out there as well.

Now we just need the shuttle to cooperate........

kenrobertson
10-16-2008, 04:40 PM
According to Cindy at TGO.....As of today, the launch has been tentatively rescheduled for the 14th

merle&louise
10-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Ken,

Do you think we should re-schedule our reservations? Mine are for Feb 11 thru Feb. 14th departing Feb. 15th.

Coloradobus
10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
We are bringing 2 other coaches (Friends)(future Poggers) with us, maybe 3. Our Rally site REZ is for arriving the 10th and leaving the 14th. Guess we should back it up a day??????.

lewpopp
10-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Don't Listen To Ol' Lew On The Scheduling Of The Launch. It Could Be Off As Much As 5 Days As Of 6 Weeks Ago, But Go Ahead And Ignore Me. I Enjoy That.

It Is Utterly Impossible To Forecast The Things That Can Happen And I Hope You Guys Get To Enjoy A Blastoff.

Boston Is Getting Their Asses Kicked Right Now.

rickdesilva
10-17-2008, 04:38 AM
We're arrivin on the 11th and saying till the 14th. My friend who bought my 'bird is joining us. I made my reservations about a month ago, I forgot to post.

10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Pam and I have booked in for the 11th until the 14th, We will head somewhere else Saturday until Monday the 16th, unless the launch is delayed.

Does anyone have a great location to watch the launch from. Tickets at the bleachers etc. I have parked downtown Titusville near the waterfront park and watched before, not a bad location but if someone has local knowledge it would be really fun to get out to the cape etc.

bonhall41
10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
You can buy tickets online to see the launch from the Space Center. We did that for the "Return to Space" launch a few years ago. However, you really can see the launch better from somewhere else. I would think one of the waterfront locations in Titusville would be better. The view from the Space Center is blocked by trees and, because of the trajectory, you lose sight of the capsule quickly. They will honor the tickets if the launch is rescheduled.

We'll be in Daytona that week and will try to visit sometime during the week.

Bonnie

Jamie Bradford
10-17-2008, 10:08 PM
That would be a great diversion for February ( as if we really need a reason )

Please keep me in the loop on this one................

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie Bradford
10-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I cannot belive this !! I sign on to see what is going on & post a reply and after I look at my reply all the RV spaces in central Florida are reserved & the space shuttle has already taken off!!!

Oh well......... I would love to be there & I will be if there is a place to park this thing.....

Jamie :)

Jamie Bradford
10-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I still have " that thing " on the front of my bus........ I need to deal with that..........:confused:

truk4u
10-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Jamie,

I'm in the same boat, but please don't park next to me, there is one thing I forgot to tell you about regarding your Bus and here's a hint!:p

Unfortunately, the Turd Boys (aka Taco Twins, Numb Nuts, Sheep Herders) will be at the launch and there tiny little brains will still think the Trukman has that beautiful CC and you may wake up to a surprise.:eek: Also, since your a new guy, it's very dangerous to park near you for obvious reasons.:D

Jamie Bradford
10-18-2008, 12:16 PM
That may be a good time to bring my pet rattlesnake......