PDA

View Full Version : CQ Hams

jello_jeep
08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Any ham radio types out there? Have you found any acceptable way of mounting antennas on you bus? What did you use? How did you access it??
Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

Ray Davis
08-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I've never had a rig in my buses. Had two meter gear in GMC which I removed the CB whip and replaced with 2 mtr whip. Worked fine. But, that was mounted on the side mirror, which wouldn't look too cool on those Ramco's.

I wouldn't mind putting in a 2/220/440 in someday, but assume I'll need to put a hole through the roof to accomplish it.

Ray

ronwalker
08-07-2008, 01:46 AM
It was easy to replace the factory-installed FM antenna on my H3 with a quarter wave 2M/440 whip. I just used the same hole in the roof. 'Makes a great tree feeler. :) I will install a linear actuator powered rotating bar mount later and bring the cables down through a hidden pipe.

KF4VVL

jello_jeep
08-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I was fixin to mount up one of my old 742A's in there. Currently 2/440/1.2 but I am fixin to swap out the 1.2 mod for a 220 mod I think.

Ron, where do you get a motorized antenna bar? I haven't seen that on..

What part of AZ you hang out in??

KN6IG

ronwalker
08-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Motorized antenna raising and lowering is often done using linear actuators like those offered at http://www.satellitedish.com/cata0057.htm. I chose the 18" ones to rotate two bar mounts. Some other variations are covered at http://www.kc8qvo.com/. I have the components, but the design is still in my head. 'Too many higher priorities for now.

'Been snowbirding between Flagstaff and Yuma.

Sid Tuls
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Like to get some information on CB radio antena's. I don't have one on my bus and like to install one. Went to the truck stop and feel they can do it but don't feel real comfortable with them drilling a hole if they haven't done it before. So I guess I'am asking if anybody happens to have a picture on their bus showing the place of were thiers is mounted I would like to see a picture if possible. Thanks

Jon Wehrenberg
09-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Sid,

I had unsatisfactory performance from my side mounted antennas which were common in early model Libertys. I finally ended up installing a no ground plane small antenna which looks like a cell phone antenna over the driver's area.

I chose a spot in the fibreglass front cap about halfway down the length of the air horns and inboard a little. I routed it down the windshield post and then behind the side panels and finally across to the CB which is mounted to the right of my seat.

After tuning it I have reasonable range for both transmit and receive.

It was critical to not change the cable length and the location worked perfectly.

Sid Tuls
09-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Jon, Thanks for the information but I believe I'am going to wait till next year when I go see Rick Thompson. I'll feel alot better about him drill and pulling wires. Gary Stevens told me aout a hand held I'll go check that out. The only reason for all the questons is were going to travel with another couple this weekend. Thanks for all the info:)

Ray Davis
09-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Sid,

If you're traveling with another couple, AND only need short range communication, you can purchase these new "family" radios from like radio shack. They are very inexpensive, and close range they are much nicer than the AM of a CB radio, and generally none of the other chatter.

More channels to chose from as well.

I think you can pick up a pair definitely for under $100, probably less than $50, and lend one to your buddy.

Ray

Sid Tuls
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks Ray, I believe thats the way I'am going to go. Also I hate being on them things when I drive it just to distracting.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Sid, I agree with Ray the small hand held walkie talkies work extremely well between two vehicles traveling down the highway.

Something like one of these units, http://www.buytwowayradios.com/Products/Motorola/Motorola-Two-Way-Radios.aspx

We only started using the Hand Held CB when Peg is walking me through the parks and getting me set up in the campground, cause we have a CB in the bus, and already had the handheld unit.

Gary S.