PDA

View Full Version : What is Bling?

Just Plain Jeff
06-10-2006, 08:14 AM
There seems to be some confusion about what Bling actually is. Since I am the holder of some confidential information relative to Bus Bling, I cannot confirm or deny any bus-related data at this point.

However, in the interest of any misguided efforts in order to achieve Bling, here are some some examples of Bling and non-bling to assist the bus owner in preparing for POG II.

1. Perhaps the most obvious definition is that Bling by itself may not necessarily serve any functional purpose. Now, Elvis had a belt, but the jumpsuit belt that he had custom made with encrusted jewels, that's Bling. And so too was his oversized ring.

2. On the street, the highly modified cars of today with ignition-fired neon tracer wires under the plexi hood inserts, that's Bling.

3. A nifty person on the beach with inlaid pinky polish and embedded jewels on the toes, that's Bling. (Why is it that we have toe nails anyway?)

4. Now if JDUB, for example, had a diamond chip in his belly-button piercing, that would be Bling.

5. If Lew had a woody thing going on a non-essential matching toad/bus thing, that might qualify for Blinginess.

Given the above, we are talking about the always-difficult problem of verbalizing great art. Who would have thought the Mona Lisa would have been such a big deal, a picture of a homely lady? That's not Bling for sure, but art is in the eyes of the beholder. That's why the, "Wow, nice bus!" standard should be maintained.

Those attempting to achieve Bling for the much coveted Stainless Cooker are not without specific guidance and resources. Steve Mitchell, President of Parliament coach, who got talked into the providing the vaunted cooker and its accompanying rewards, both tangible and intangible, has offered to assist any and all who wish to consider any alternatives. Steve's email is stevem@parliamentcoach.com. Further, Parliament is offering a 10-percent reduction on parts and service, so this is a valuable resource not to be wasted in The Quest. Steve can be trusted not to reveal any specific plans of any competitor and has access to deep industrial-level suppliers of a wide variety of materials not available to the common man.

Hopefully these guidelines of defining Bling will be of some use.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Hey Milwaukee toolman,

Is there something you or Lew want to share with the rest of us? This is the second time you have used the word woody and Lew in the same sentence.

Before anyone blows a gasket I assume the context is regarding dashboards.

Just Plain Jeff
06-10-2006, 03:12 PM
The blowing of a gasket is covered in the discussion about SCA's. In fact you can blow a head if you don't watch out for SCA's.

Lew's the pro, with an even hand at the wood. We all saw that for ourselves. It's all a thin veneer, but the vision is deep. Lew is the woody, man.

lewpopp
06-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Men.... And I use that word sparinly among you guys.... Do you believe that Steve will keep the Bling want of yours to himself? Steve and the Heavy Duty Tool man have been in cahoots for a long time. Do not take Jeff at his word. Some how, one or the other must have been caught in some very compromising situations and they have a pact between them. Besides other things.:D

Jerry Winchester
06-10-2006, 10:21 PM
This may be headed in the right direction. I think "bling" is anything you (personally) add to the coach that either adds to the Elvis-esk curb appeal or draws attention to an otherwise descrete spot.

So that would render any factory bling (all Libertys) at neutral because they came that way. To me, bling has to be added after the fact.