PDA

View Full Version : Newbies on the road

Jay Becker
08-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Hello All, Just got a first bus... a '91 Liberty XL40 bought from our friend Steve Bennett at California Coach (who couldn't be a better guy). My pal and partner in many things including the bus (no, not those other things) Terry Ballas and I picked it up 17 days ago, and have so far been to visit Liberty in Chicago, then the Oshkosh airshow where we met Jerry, MangoMike, Tom and some others, along with Ken and the Parliament Coach guys (and where Rick there saved our butts on a genset issue). The we visited friends in Minneapolis, and are at the moment about 100 miles East of Denver on the way back to SoCal. We love driving this thing!

Steve insisted on POG membership before the sale, and after meeting some of the guys I'm already stoked. The learning curve isn't as steep as the whole trawler thing I started on a few years ago, but there are certainly some Prevost-specific technicalities to figure out!

Anyone know where to get a full set of manuals down to component-level testing (the driver's air temp control system is my bugaboo of the moment)?

Thanks much for the warm pre-welcome, and I hope to get to the point of having something other than questions to contribute soon (all that boat stuff might come in handy here). :D

Regards,

Jay

jack14r
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Jay,When I need anything from Prevost I call Prevost in Elgin,IL I always have the serial number at hand and they always seem to have what I need.Their web site has lots of schematics and info that is helpful.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-04-2008, 02:18 PM
You can access service manuals and electrical and pneumatic diagrams on the Prevost Car web site.

If your bus has not been modified by previous owners you also may be able to get wiring diagrams for the house from Liberty. My Liberty manuals that came with my coach have diagrams.

An excellent source for further information is internet access to service manuals for the major components such as inverters. I download the PDF files and keep them in books in the coach if any are missing. The time to do the research and get the shop or owner's manuals is before I need them.

But one thing to remember is that although you do have telphone access to Prevost, Liberty, Detroit Diesel, or Allison should you need help or questions answered, the POG site is another place for asking questions. We don't give the right answers, but we do answer.

Welcome aboard. It's too bad your first contact with POG was the group of misfits you listed.

MangoMike
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
New Guy Jay - Arrow.

Old Guy, Rick May - Circle.

Square Guy - Cy, Ken R's buddy.

Welcome aboard Jay, and it's good you met the real POG movers and shakers at the git go.

mm

Ray Davis
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Jay,

Good to hear that you've made to the POG site, and that you're trip as been mostly successful so far. If you remember, we met at Steves place the Saturday prior to your departure.

It's good to hear that you're enjoying the bus!

Ray

Jerry Winchester
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Jay,

Just refer to the list of POG numbnuts we gave you at OSH and you will be able to handicap the answers you get on this forum. Did the generator work out okay or was there another issue?

Look forward to seeing you at the next opportunity we have to jack with the Krakman.

truk4u
08-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Jay,

Glad you hear your running and all is fine. Beware of Jon, if he doesn't have the answer (rare) he just makes stuff up. You were fortunate enough to meet the better halves of Mango and Jdup at Osh, sorry you had to endure the two Turd Boys during dinner!:rolleyes: We usually give them the wrong address and time for dinner..:p