PDA

View Full Version : XL1 cracked Awning Upper Window

07-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a large crack in my P/S second awning upper fixed window pane. Is Prevost the only source for this or can I go to a glass company for replacement?

Also how does the window come out, do I have to remove the entire upper and lower to replace the upper glass?

Any help would be appreciated. I was going to try and drill a small hole at one end to keep it from spreading and then epoxy the hole and crack to stop any further spreading, but the crack is about five inches from the base of the window frame, any thoughts on this as well.

thanks,

Bruce

Jon Wehrenberg
07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
It's a Prevost part, and it is a shorter version of the windshield. A lot of POG members have the windshield insertion tool, but you can probably replace it by getting a nylon strip to peel the outer gasket around the glass. The rubber locking strip can be worked into place with a screw driver if needed. It takes about 45 minutes with the tool and about an hour without the tool.

To remove the cracked glass pull the locking strip and push lightly from the inside to get the glass started coming out.

rickdesilva
07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Bruce
Your lucky you don't have an XL ll. You would have to float a loan to get the job done.

08-01-2008, 06:46 AM
It's a Prevost part, and it is a shorter version of the windshield. A lot of POG members have the windshield insertion tool, but you can probably replace it by getting a nylon strip to peel the outer gasket around the glass. The rubber locking strip can be worked into place with a screw driver if needed. It takes about 45 minutes with the tool and about an hour without the tool.

To remove the cracked glass pull the locking strip and push lightly from the inside to get the glass started coming out.
Thanks Jon, a couple of questions if I might. Am I replacing the entire awning window as a single unit, in other words both the fixed pane at the top ( which is the broken one) and the bottom awning window as one unit. There does not appear to be a way to just remove the top fixed window, am I correct??? Also is the tool a common window tool that I might be able to purchase here in Canada?? Hope I understood your response to my thread. I have taken out a windshield and replaced it without the tool and it was not easy and it took me much longer than 45 minutes and with lots of difficulty without the correct tool.

I was considering just drilling a small hole at the top of the crack and injecting some epoxy for now and waiting until I get back into the states, have you ever done this to stop the spreading while driving along??

Jon Wehrenberg
08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Bruce,

On the upper glass replacement for an awning window the outer locking strip that goes up the sides and across the top needs to be pulled.

If Sikaflex was used to seal the glass the bond between the glass and the rubber molding needs to be cut, inside and out. Once the glass is no longer adhering to the molding, push it out starting at a top corner. Make an effort to not disturb the lower awning window.

When the glass is removed the lower rubber strips that run horizontally across the top of the awning window may or may not be damaged or removed depending on how lucky you are. If they can be left in place insert the new glass, if not replace them and then insert the new glass starting by installing it on the horizontal surface above the awning window.

I suspect you can pull up instructions, photos and bills of material by going to the Prevost Car site. They have complete service manuals on line as well as parts manuals. The process for replacing the glass is exactly like windshield replacement and is relatively easy.

I would urge you get the glass from Prevost. Thank your lucky stars you do not have an XLII.

08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks Jon, most helpful, I will give it a go once I have a window in hand. I will also get the tool as well, the screw driver approach is difficult at best.

Ray Davis
08-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Thank your lucky stars you do not have an XLII

So, I assume you're referring to Alan's exploding XL2 windows. I am curious. We have many XL2 owners in the group. Are others seeing this problem? How widespread is this issue?

Ray

merle&louise
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Why are these windows exploding?

Ray Davis
08-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Good question. To date, I only know of a single person having issues with the windows like that, and it's Alan. I am not sure, but I don't think that it's a widespread issue, but that's what I'm trying to determine. I'm close to making an offer on another XL2, and if this were a major issue, it would affect my decision.

I didn't personally have any issues with exploding windows, and it went through a hangar fire, and the windows didn't break.

So, I'm curious as anyone about this issue.

Ray

bluevost
08-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Bruce,

I had two of those windows replaced last summer. Figure about $500.00 ea. if Prevost does it. The glass is about $200 (more than a windshield) and 3 hours labor.

Good luck,

Ken

garyde
08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi Ray. A call to Mira Loma and also Marathon in Oregon would be helpful in answering the glass breaking question. The flexing of the bus frame might be the reason if the window was not installed correctly, just a guess.

Ray Davis
08-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I might give them a call next week. I'm just curious, within our membership here whether it's been a major issue, or not.

Ray

08-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I might give them a call next week. I'm just curious, within our membership here whether it's been a major issue, or not.

Ray
My situation was self induced I believe. I was washing my bus with an extended brush on a long aluminum arm. The brush head has gotten worn done over the years, boats and buses I guess. I really like the brush but when I got a little to vigorous around the awning window I my have whacked it with the hard edge of the brush head. I did not think much about it at the time as I did not see any damage, but clearly it was my own doing. Windows clean though.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-02-2008, 07:22 AM
A general observation about repairs. While taking a coach somewhere for service used to be a reasonable alternative to do-it-yourself type repairs, Ken's post got me to thinking that in my case Prevost is about 200 miles away. So I would spend $500 at Camp Prevost, and an additional $250 just for fuel.

Buying the right tools and learning how to do things is starting to look like a good idea more and more.

mikedee
08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Why then is my husband driving us from CA to Leesburg, FL to have our generator repaired/serviced? We have a garage full of tools along with every imaginable tool possible crammed in our bus. Yah think the man just wants to lay on the beach while someone else gets greasy? Never mind the fact that fuel costs will be as much as if we were taking a trip to Europe for a month. Maybe that's what owning a Prevost is all about. Fixing what you can, when you want....and enjoying a cross country trip together when the need arises and you're fortunate enough to be able to afford the fuel.

Dee Clark

PS Jon, Ever get that awning fixed? Just ask Di, she'll help you.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Dorinda....no need to worry about the awning. But my question is if Mike knows of a nude beach in Leesburg and if he tampered with the generator so he could go there.

Buses are like planes. We have to make up excuses to take them out and enjoy them. The fact that we actually accomplish something while doing so is just a side benefit.

We need to drive our buses somewhere just like the average woman needs a new pair of shoes. Just tell Mike while you are on the way to Florida that he needs to stop so you can pick up a few more pair.

I won't tell Di we are meeting like this.

mikedee
08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Jonny.....We agree on something. Finally! Whatever excuse we use, it's a nice way to see the country.

BTW I have an self imposed space allotment for traveling footwear...(Never refer to them as "shoes") and my capacity is at its max. Save Mike a few buckaroos, which we'll use on fuel or nude beach fees. :p