PDA

View Full Version : Removing hard water spots from side windows

Kevin Erion
07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I remember a little time ago that someone found the miracle stuff to remove the hard water spots from the outside windows. I don't remember if they ever said the product name and how much work it took to get them off.
Let us in on the secret stuff, please!

Sid Tuls
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Kevin, There is a new product out on the market called "Hot Sauce" I got some of this product for my boat at Lake Havasu the stuff is flat amazing I used it on my bus as well. You can go to there webb site to order www.boatbling.net phone # 602-494-5603. I've never used a product that I had this good of results

Sid & Judy Tuls

2007 Thompson XL11 D/S
Visalia,Ca

Tully
07-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Kevin:

I bought that miracle stuff (and even forgot the name) a month ago and told everyone I would update them. After 1/2 a hour I threw the product straight into the trash. I had neglected to give an update. Left film on all windows and did zero for the water spots. I will have to find my invoice for the name of the product. Was never very happy with the price or the non-performance of the product.

Tully Lee Garrett

Sid Tuls
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Tully, sorry to hear that but @ $45.00 I would have sent it back for a full refund including shipping. I'am at Oasis R V Resort in Amarrillo the water is hard as nails after washing coach simply spay a little and wipe and the bus is ready to show.

Sid & Judy Tuls
2007 Thompson XL D/S
Visalia,Ca / now in Amarrillo,Texas

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I remember a little time ago that someone found the miracle stuff to remove the hard water spots from the outside windows. I don't remember if they ever said the product name and how much work it took to get them off. Let us in on the secret stuff, please!

Kevin, I am not sure if your referring to "MY Miracle" moment or not but I still swear by the products I used on the outside glass on my XLII. The products are mfg by Jakel Products http://metalwax.com/index.htm

Fluoride Metal Cleaner: Yes this product is actually used for preparing or cleaning the S.S. on the bus before you wax it. But I found it worked GREAT on removing Acid rain water spots from my windows.

TopWax: Then after I cleaned the outside glass thoroughly, with the Fluoride Metal Cleaner, I waxed the windows with Topwax.

However I remember a brief demo by Dale Janek @ POG V with some of his cleaning stuff, and it worked great too. Ask him about his product.

Gary S.

dalej
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
No secrets here, I just used Blue Magic wheel cleaner I found at truck stops

Tully
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Gary:

Did you use any other their products like the Spray Shine on the stainless or the metal cleaner or top wax on the stainless?

Would like to order this but everytime the miracle cleaner comes along it just does not perform like quoted.

Tully Lee Garrett .

Kevin Erion
07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
So many choices, I ordered the Fluoride cleaner and top wax. I also ordered the hot sauce product. There is another glass polish for a high end auto detail co. that I ordered. The fluoride cleaner sounds like the way to go but due to the fact that it works like a acid, I will have to wait until after this road trip to try it.
I will report my findings when this is all done.
Thanks for all the tips!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Gary: Did you use any other their products like the Spray Shine on the stainless or the metal cleaner or top wax on the stainless?
Would like to order this but everytime the miracle cleaner comes along it just does not perform like quoted. Tully Lee Garrett .

Tully, yes I used all 3 of their products when I first got my bus in March. I was very happy with all of the products. The metal cleaner works great removing all chemicals previous wax's from the SS, and then I used the Spray Shine on the SS. There is some heavy rubbing needd to get the spray shine all shiny, but it really worked for me. I also used the metal cleaner on the outside of the windows, like I stated earlier, and MAN WHAT A GREAT JOB it did. Rather than go into long detail, here, if you want more information, call me 713-252-2599 and we can just talk about it.

I believe in their 3 products. Call Austin @ (408) 848-1497. I think he is the owner, tell him I suggested you call him for product information, and don't forget to call me if you want to talk about this stuff.

Tully
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Just spoke with Austin and placed my order. Told him you were very happy with product. Said to pass on a big thank you for the referal.

Will get Wednesday and start to work.

Fingers crossed,

Tully Lee Garrett

Ray Davis
07-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Tully,

Keep us posted as to your results ....

Ray

gmcbuffalo
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I believe the I started this when I mentioned that I had a window washer clean my bus windows with a product called Bio Clean. It worked on my bus but I think the stuff was a liquid abrasive that needed a lot of circular elbow action.

The floridic acid stuff sounds like the way to go. Old elbows can only go around so fast and so long.

GregM

Jerry Winchester
09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I ordered this stuff after talking to Kevin.

http://www.metalwax.com/Images/twin32.jpg

But I had to prep the bus to keep it off of everthing else. I wiped a little on my aluminum trailer and quicker than the Krakman jumps sheep, it was cleaned.

I used the little square carpet scrubbers they sent and sure enough, it eats all the hard water spots and associated gunk off. But you are not supposed to leave it on for more than a minute and as you can see, I didn't risk getting any on the paint or stainless.

If I had an "H", I would just use a garden sprayer and coat the whole bus cuz I don't think this stuff would make one look any worse.....

hhoppe
09-29-2008, 10:43 PM
I used Hot Stuff from boatbling.com It worked fairly well, but Brian tried it and no go. Now my wife tells me the spots are still there. I'll try glass wax next. to be continued.

tdelorme
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Cleaning off water spots?? Right, sure you are. Looks like a little MORE body work going on there to me. But hey, those ole water spots look bad while tailgating so glad they came off.

garyde
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
OK, but did you find out if you have to seal the glass after the treatment.

Jerry Winchester
09-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Gary,

I don't know the answer to that. I did clean them after I rinsed the goop off, so they are incredibly clear and clean, but I never considered "sealing" them.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-30-2008, 10:36 AM
OK, but did you find out if you have to seal the glass after the treatment.

Yes Gary De, and JDUB you should use their other product called Topwax. It does a fantastic job on all glass, after the Metal Cleaner has been properly used, and it very easy to apply and remove. It really works great on the entire bus that has a painted surface.

There is another product recommended for the shiny SS, Spray On Metal Shine. but is more difficult to apply and remove, MUCH more elbow grease to use this product, but I think worth it.

Jer, in my opinion, did not need to cover the stainless when he was cleaning his windows with the Metal Cleaner, because the metal cleaner is what is used to clean the SS anyway. But when I did my bus, I cleaned it from top to bottom and maybe he didn't want to redo the ss cleaning after the windows?

Bottom line, the TopWax product needes to be applied after the windows are cleaned to keep them at their best, and keep them from water spotting again.

Call Austin @ (408) 848-1497 and talk to him about his products, I think they work great. But again I am a newbie at this.

http://metalwax.com/index.htm

Jerry Winchester
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Ger,

The active ingredient that makes this stuff work is some kind of acid. I dropped some of it on my aluminum XDeck and it ate the finish right off of it.

I rubbed it on my car trailer and it had the same effect. Now I know aluminum is not stainless steel, but they use this stuff diluted 30:1 to clean mildew off of paint. I was using it straight out of the bottle.

It may not hurt the paint and it may not hurt the stainless, but until I have a little more experience with it, 10 minutes and a $2 drop cloth vs my experience with the cost of paint is an easy trade-off.

Loc
09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Nice bus condom.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Things must be slow in the oil patch if he has time to worry about and remove water spots from his glass.

Actually, if he would take the time to dry the bus after he washes it he wouldn't have to screw around with hazardous materials and use time and energy correcting his oversight.

Jerry Winchester
09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Loc,

Lucky for me the ones I use also fit the bus.

Jerry Winchester
09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Anal One,

How do you know those spots showed up on my watch?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I didn't see them in Branson.

Jerry Winchester
09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Must have been the light.

jack14r
09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
It was perfect when I sold it.A mirror/glass guy does not like spotted windows.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I knew you were blameless Jack. Instead of drying the Texas water off his windows he was trying to get the insurance adjuster to pay for a new cap instead of repairing it and he got all those minerals dried on the windows.

We know you sold him a perfect coach, one with no damage history or cloudy glass.

truk4u
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
It's the smoke from ribs and barbeque that takes it's toll on windows.:rolleyes:

rfoster
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I heard that toxic taco gases will screw up every thing it touches.:eek:

BrianE
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
JDUB, Did you apply/remove the metal cleaner by hand or did you use a buffer?

tdelorme
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
JDUB, Did you apply/remove the metal cleaner by hand or did you use a buffer?

Brian, look closely at the pictures. He used an iron. See the big ironing board there next to the bus. Same tool used for ironing out wrinkles in the sheet metal.

Jerry Winchester
10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I just rinsed it off with water. Gary said he wiped his off with a cloth.
I put the stuff on wearing a pair of latex gloves. Gary said he wiped his on with his Johnson.
I washed my coach before. Gary washed his after.
I put the coach condom on. Gary did his au natural.
I wash the windows on my coach myself. Jon has the King of Bling wash his.
Pork and Beef BBQ will do that Truk. Sheep will not, so you are okay.
King, tacos mess it up from the inside. Wake up for crying out loud.

garyde
10-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I didn't know there was window etiquette! Once again Jdub sets the standard.

mikedee
10-04-2008, 12:58 AM
I use Plastx on a new white foam pad. Apply the polish with a small orbital buffer running at medium speed. Takes off everything that is on glass.

I had a trail of hard water stain from roof run off. All clean in a couple passes. After I cleaned the windows I went over the glass with the Solution quick detailer.

Lots of plastic polish on the market and no end to quick detailer products, they probably all work in this application.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12310