PDA

View Full Version : Hub Covers For Sale: T Kane

hobobimmer
07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Debbie and I are replacing our T Kane hub covers with RWC hub covers. We are going to try to sell the T Kanes. If you are interested, please contact us. We will price fairly and ship to you or maybe deliver to you if you're fairly close (or maybe even if you're not real close).

Thanks.

eric and debbie faires
huntsville, TN

Loc
07-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Eric,

What are RWC hub covers? I tried a search and I am certain that Rugby World Cup has nothing to do with the product. Do you have a website or picture? I am looking to upgrade my hub covers, but have shied away from the T. Kane because of the hassle of removing to check the hubs.

Loc

hobobimmer
07-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Eric,

What are RWC hub covers? I tried a search and I am certain that Rugby World Cup has nothing to do with the product. Do you have a website or picture? I am looking to upgrade my hub covers, but have shied away from the T. Kane because of the hassle of removing to check the hubs.

Loc

I believe it to be Real Wheels Corporation, phone 800.982.1180. Sales person Deb talked to is Bjorn. The style Deb ordered is over the lug. We don't have yet.

eric faires
huntsville, TN

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure what Eric means when he says over the lug. But I have a RWC type hub cover and it is a center mount using a spinner type nut to hold it in place. Mine cover the hubs only and I have the push-on lug nut covers.

Apart from the cosmetic differences between hub covers it is important to consider two things. It needs to be easy to check the oil level in the hubs. If a hub cover is difficult to remove a technician will avoid checking hub oil levels. The second concern that I would have about hub covers is avoiding any fastening method that uses a bracket located under the lug nuts.

Prevost made a huge objection to that in the early nineties when those types of hub covers first came to the marketplace. The reasons stated was the brackets affected and prevented proper torquing of the wheel nuts, and brackets could contribute to cracking of the aluminum wheels because the forces on the wheel from the nuts would not be equal around the stud hole, but could be concentrated in one spot. It is my understanding the converters squelched further objections from Prevost so that issue was not brought up again to my knowledge.

The T Kane type covers look nice and certainly making it easier to clean and polish wheels, but they are a PITA to remove and replace and I would be tempted to not check hub oil levels if I had to deal with them.

Petervs
07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I have the Real Wheels covers on my coach. They cover the wheel hub and all the lug nuts with a smooth polished stainless steel unit that is much easier to keep clean than the original individual plastic caps over each lug nut. Check out their web site for details.

They come with very well made brackets for attachments. These brackets clamp with a knife edge onto the outer exposed thread sticking out from the lug nut itself. So, you must have a thread showing, as was discussed in the other forum thread ( no pun intended). Their clamp actually grabs two adjoining lugs, and there are two brackets per wheel. Then, the cover screws onto the bracket with two 1/4 inch stainless steel screws. I use loctite on mine.

This is why I made the comment about milling down the lug nuts if the stud does not show a thread exposed. There has to be many multiples of strength safety factor on the lugs, bolts, and studs holding the wheels on as designed. As long as they are tight and properly torqued . The actual number of threads engaged on each nut/stud is not likely to be critical if you machine one or two threads away out of 10 or 15.

Real Wheels set me up as a distributor when I bought mine a few years back, they offered about a 20 or 25% discount. I have passed that along to 2 other POG members so far with good results, and would do the same for anyone else interested.

dalej
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
and would do the same for anyone else interested

Except for Brian, right Peter.

BrianE
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Dale, Peter actually ordered my Real Wheel hub covers for me. The discount was nice, the downside was having to listen to his expert advice on how to install them properly. :D Kidding aside they work very well and are easy to install and remove. They do need 2 fully exposed threads beyond the lug nuts however in order for the brackets to clamp securely to the threads. In my case it was necessary to machine about 1/8" from 4 of the lug nuts on both ends of my tag axle. As Peter said, I don't feel this will compromise the integrity of the nuts.

Loc
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Peter,

What is the cost for a steer, drive and tag axle set?

Loc

dalej
07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
And Peter, can you show us a photo?

BrianE
07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Dale,

Don't mean to preempt Peter here but he's in Canada on his boat. Here is a link to Real Wheels, Cover-up model: http://www.realwheels.com/coverup.html. Also here are some pics of the covers on a nice 8V machine. :)

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Can we see pictures of the attachment method?

Petervs
07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help brian. Now, just unscrew one of the covers and take a picture of the clamp for Jon, please.

Otherwise he will have to wait two more weeks til I get home and can do it.

As to cost, well, check the website, then deduct 20-25%, plus a little freight.

hobobimmer
07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Real Wheels set me up as a distributor when I bought mine a few years back, they offered about a 20 or 25% discount. I have passed that along to 2 other POG members so far with good results, and would do the same for anyone else interested.

I think we paid full price for the set Deb ordered. Anyway to retroactively grant us the discount? I don't think they have been shipped yet, but were ordered 7/22/08. Thanks.

eric faires
huntsville, TN

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Brian, I assume you are the new dealer of these products since the former one was never around to sell the product. If he isn't playing on a boat he is apparently working at his landscaping service. Obviously failing to meet the sales quotas.

BrianE
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Actually Jon I'm not much of a salesman, opting for mechanics' coveralls over the checked beltless pants, Hawaiian shirts and white buck shoes that salesmen prefer. I'm told Peter has a closet full of them. The landscaping service is something I'm rather good at.............:eek:

The RealWheel attachments can also be seen on their website. As you can see there's not much thread showing beyond the nut. I machined 1/8" from the 4 nuts under the brackets. The tag and steer covers have pry-off center covers so the hub sight glasses can be checked. If one wants to use these covers, they must be tapped loose from the inside before installing the wheel covers for the first time.

Eric, Would suggest you finish your transaction at this point. I'm sure Peter would be glad to buy you breakfast at Spearfish if he graces us with his presence.

MangoMike
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually Jon I'm not much of a salesman, opting for mechanics' coveralls over the checked beltless pants, Hawaiian shirts and white buck shoes that salesmen prefer.

BrianE,

That's how they might dress in the Pacific Northwest.

Over on the East Coast you're more likely to find this.

mm

dalej
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Great comeback Mike!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Brian. I'm going to wait to see Erics. Then I may shake loose a few Lewbucks.

But I notice you do not polish your wheels behind the covers. I would probably have to.

BrianE
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Jon, If I polished there, I wouldn't have time for the slack-adjusters.

Mike, Would guess there may be a grenade from the King in your future. How 'bout it Roger? We can get together on this.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
That's how Roger looks when he dresses down. You guys can laugh, but I was with him that night and he had ladies throwing money and kisses at him.

It might have been the hat.

hhoppe
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Boy some big POG buddies you all turned out to be. I made a plea for an axle cover to replace one missing from my coach and not one of you mentioned my need throughout this entire thread. So who needs you!!

I found the hub cover in the bay I put it in after the trailer loading. All is forgiven, but whatchit from now on.

rfoster
08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Ok, I know you guys are envious, but calm down. I spent all the money, ate the candy, and drank the booze. . I still have the hat and hub cap salesman uniform! Yeah!

I am thinking of heading up to Mangos and eat there every night for about a week and see if I can help his sales. I might even act as a doorman.

Brian - do you think that would be pay back enought or should I stay longer?

BTW where is Corona Kelly? I could help her.

Looking for the next opportunity to raze and pilllage and take advantage of poor money laden unsuspecting customers who come in with cash protruding from their pockets.

Life is good!