PDA

View Full Version : Generator Output - Update

truk4u
06-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Powertech sent me a new and improved regulator, but the wiring through the harness to the gen would have to be changed, a real nightmare. They found a used servicable in stock and sent it to me free of charge, allowing me to return the new one for a 300.00 credit.;) Great service from Powertech... There are new (old style regulators) still available from the vendor for about 350.00. So if this one goes south, a replacement can be found by going to the following company: http://surplusman.com/contactus.php.

Now the volatage is set at 120 - 122 and all is good. Makes a big difference in available amps when you have the full 120 to work with.

http://surplusman.com/images/P/basler_VR63-4_125px.jpg
Old Regulator
http://surplusman.com/images/P/basler_avc63-4-125px.jpg
New Style

PS - I'm not posting this on the other board as I don't want to hear all the pissing and moaning about POG, pictures, etc. Also, how can I get all this into the info part of the site?

lewpopp
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
A few days ago I posted a complete senerio on what I tried with my Webasto. Either I was ignored or I didn't complete the process to send it out. I would like to think it was the latter.

My unit failed and I took it apart. Nozzle seemed ok but ordered 2 from Michigan and they were out at the time. They will call me when they come in. In the meantime, I tried to trace the spark or power situation down and I had no power coming out of the control box to the coil. Does that mean I need a control box. I even removed the cover at the top rear of the unit to see if a breaker had popped. No it hadn't. I'm at a standstill and will install the new nozzle when it arrives. I'm sure with no power it won't help. I'm not too good tracing down electrical problems.

I replaced a ballast today in my hall lite. I had previously ordered it from an outfit in Calif and I can look it up, but I think it cost 38 Lew Bucks. Anyone know where those small ballasts can be had ? Does a place like Lowes have them? Just the same, the light works and that's what counts.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Lew,

I'll let Mango or Jerry deal specifically with the Webasto, but if you know th nozzle is OK, you do have to verify you are getting spark and I know that was covered in Mango's paper on the Webasto. Don't forget the electrode gap.

As far as the ballast, I used to order them direct from the manufacturer on my other coach and I think it was Thinlight. (All the papers went with the old bus so it is my memory at work here and we know how that is.) But, if I can remember I will bring some complete units with me to SF if you are going and you can cannibalize them for parts. I found on my last purchase that the whole unit from Camping World was cheaper than buying just the ballast, and I got two bulbs along with the ballast I really wanted.

Just Plain Jeff
06-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Also, how can I get all this into the info part of the site?

No sweat, drop your story into email format and send to webmaster@prevost-stuff.com, remembering that we all have to be nice to Jim because he makes all this stuff actually work.:eek:

MangoMike
06-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Lew,

Both Jdbub and I responded to your cry for help. It must've been drownded in the Bling discussion.

http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2128#post2128

IF your sure there's no power coming out of the control box to the coil then you probably have either a dead control box or no power to the control box. You need to put a meter on the leads going into the control box to see if that's the issue. I'm sure there's probably a 12v breaker somewhere that feeds that unit - although I can't tell you where to look.

If you do get ignition and still won't fire, I have extra nozzles. Since Michigan is out I'll be glad to send you one. Or call 800 236-3941 eggiman in Wisconsin as they supply Liberty all their Webasto equipment for their factory in North Chicago.

Let us know how you proceed.

Mike

lewpopp
06-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Mike, it was Eggiman in Wisconsin, I was mistaken. Jeeez, you mean I have to get parts from a "Liberty" supplier. I guess there is no choice.

I must first check if there is power getting into the box. That'll take a while.

Next! I noticed a light on my isolator in the back above my starting batteries stay on for a long while. I later flipped the 2 switches on and off a couple times and it went off. Do I have a problem with the isolator?

Thanks for the offer of the nozzle, I'll wait a bit to see if Eggiman comes thru.

Lew

lewpopp
06-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Mike

I did check the power between the control box and the coil. I had to disconnect the fuel activator to do so the fuel did not spray. there is no power to the coil.

Jerry What did you mean "did it spin up" ? Are you referring to the Webasto starting its fan?

I was working with someone who knows electricity but knew nothing about Webasto but he was learning as I am, but he is now on his way to Vermont.

Lew

Jerry Winchester
06-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Lew, yes that is exactly what I meant. Describe what does or does not happen when you turn the unit on. I didn't think there was enough information for Mike or I to guestimate what the issue might be.

dalej
06-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Lew,

I get my ballast from this site, http://store.solar-electric.com/12vodcbaforf.html

Dale

lewpopp
06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks Dale

I looked up my invoice from 10/1/04 and it was from John Drake Services in Long Beach Ca. It was model : 0IB-138TL-100 SER BAL $20 plus shipping.

lewpopp
06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Jer, When I start the W up it starts the blower but does not fire. I thought I would hear some ignition if it was trying to fire, but nothing. It just runs and runs. I have opened the unit and wiped some fuel out from where I could see and tried it again to no avail. I'd hate to purchase a new control box until I find out absolutely it was the cause. I just don't like to carry around $400 parts unless I have to. I'm hauling way too much already according to your siamese twin Jon.All kidding aside, I could not survive without some of the advise. I'll emphasize SOME. Will the cover come off of the control box or is it sealed at the factory?

Jerry Winchester
06-11-2006, 11:27 PM
I think you need to go back to Mike's post about the control box and checking the voltage. Also, there is a good troubleshooting guide in the AquaHot information that should also guide you to determine if the problem is the control box or some other malady.

If you know someone else with a Webasto / AquaHot, you might just "borrow" the control box and plug it in to your unit. If it fires up, then you know what the problem is. If not, then it points to the coil or ignitor set up.

I would try these things before I broke out the LewBucks.

You might also check the fuel supply. Mine did the same thing as yours and I found out the filter was restricted and the pump in the unit wasn't getting any fuel. When I fixed that, it fired right up. In the start sequence, listen for the ignitors firing. Mine would spin up, the ignitors would fire and it would shut down evidently because the photo cell didn't detect any fire at the requisite time and it aborted the start sequence. You might also check the fuel lines from the filter to the pump inlet (bottom of the Webasto head) to see that there are no holes in the line that would let it suck air.

At POG I, Lester and I got these fuel lines reversed and we had a problem getting it to start.

lewpopp
06-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I got a call from Eggiman today and the nozzles are on the way. As soon as I get them and install one, I'll bother you guys some more.

As for finding someone with a Webasto and borrowing the controlbox, there isn't a Prevost within 90 miles of Elmira. If I see one pass on the main highway, I flag him down.

I read in the paper this morn that there was a massavie landslide in Yellowstone on Rt 140 between Mariposa and El Portal. Did you go that way?

Jerry Winchester
06-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Let me know what happens with the nozzles. I can pull the controller out of my unit and mail it to you since I don't anticipate needing it for a few weeks. You can try it and if it works, then you can just order me a new one. :eek:

Just kidding. I will need it back before the 4th.

No, I went into Yellowstone from Grand Teton and went out via West Yellowstone, Montana. I just had to deal with the snow.

MangoMike
06-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Lew,

You may have a different unit then JW. He has the aquahot, with the Webasto head, but I'mnot sure if it uses the same controller box. If you have Webasto model DBW2020 then I can send you a control unit to try. Have you determined if there's power going into the conrol box?

Mike

lewpopp
06-13-2006, 09:49 PM
No, I have not determined if I have power to the control box. According to my manual I have model 2010.

Jer, thanks for the offer of the use of your control box. I don't know if there is a difference in the two boxes. I should find out. I doubt if I can find out from the manual cuz I have no way of telling what the difference is. I'm going to call Eggiman tomorrow. I just hope I have the correct manual. I imagine the early models of the nozzle are the same.

Thanks for sticking with me but I doubt I'm smart enough with my tester to tell if I have power to the box. The tester I have is one I got from Radio Shack and I told them I needed one that was for dummies. The salesman said this is the one you can't make a mistake with. I use it and the numbers keep jumping and jumping all over the place and I know not what to read. I'll try again tomorrow. Is it 12v? That would be a start so I can set the tester there.:)

lewpopp
06-13-2006, 10:09 PM
BTW, I cleaned the sight window off with alcohol and it is now white. Is that the correct finish. I'm trying, really I am. I have trouble learning if I get it first hand let alone over the internet.

I have been cleaning out the Cruise Air areas uder the front. I had a power steering leak a couple years ago and it is snotty. I want to hose out the evaporators on the airs. Is that okay if I'm careful not to bend the fins. I used to have a couple combs to straighten out the fins left over from the Ice Co. but can't find them in my Ace Hardware.:D

I'll ask Eggiman if the control boxes are the same for a 2010 and a 2020.

MangoMike
06-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Lew,

On my unit the power is 12v. Let me know what Eggiman says of 2010 vs 2020 and if the contol unit is the same.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Lew,

How about you get the PN off of your box and I will orbit by the airport (I can't help it if that's where I keep the coach) and check the numbers to see if they correspond. Physically, I think they are all alike. I just don't know if they function the same.

mike kerley
06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Lew, for what its worth. The last time I worked on repairing a Webasto (other than cleaning and changing nozzle) I had a dead box, pump's running, but no fire. Turned out to be a 12V automotive style (little black box, about 2" square with terminals on the bottom) relay located in the engine compartment, that provided the power (12V DC) to the unit. Changed out the relay and "smoke". Look around or follow the wiring to see if there's a relay in your future.

the AC lens you spoke of should be glass. I'm surprised that alcohol would damage that.

Good luck. BTW, we were at your winter home last week. Place is real quiet!

MangoMike
06-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Lew,
I talked w/ the Webasto HG in Michigan. As long as you have 12v going to the control box the same control box is used on models 2020 and 2010.

They did say becareful in removing the plug from the box. Movement of plug should be side to side not front to back, as it will damage the solder connections.

I'll be glad to send you my control box to try -- just make sure it's 12v.

Mike

MangoMike
06-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Lew,

What's the Webasto update? How can we help?

Mike