PDA

View Full Version : Old question

sawdust_128
07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I have read a lot of RV'er reviews on where to go and camp. However, I have never seen any kind of quick guide as to where not to go or things to be taken as a sign not to stay.

So, I would like your thoughts on things that you have run into that were good enough that you would look for them again or bad enough that you are watching out for them. Since a lot of this is a "personal" experience, i would like to see these comments focus on things that made the machine/operating aspect more/less pleasant.

Example:

-Low tree limbs on access roads
-No pull-through spaces
-No beer store within 20 miles
-and other important stuff or stuff particular to Prevosts.

I guess I would like to combine your recommendations/results into, say a scouting report form, unless someone already has such a thing?!

Ray Davis
07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I find I like to check www.rvparkreviews.com.

There are user supplied reviews of various campgrounds, and it's interesting to see the wide variety of reviews.

Things that may be important for larger rigs?

* wide streets
* no low lying hazards. lots of parks like to put rocks at the edges of sites. I HATE those places.
* 50A power?
* Power and sewer on correct side, and close enough to reach, without needing three sewer hoses tied together.
* paved internal roads
* paved sites
* bushes and trees to close when parking

Other things that may be important to users

* pet friendly (or not)
* online reservations?
* reasonable prices!
* whether or not they have an RV washing service?

Lot's of things to consider.

Do checkout rvparkreviews.com

Ray

Petervs
07-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I have found that many times a place is described in the guides as not being suitable for a big coach, but we go there anyway and have a look around on foot. Most times we can fins a few fine places to park.

This is especially true in state parks.

I do not put too much stock in the printed info but prefer to look around myself.

dalej
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
If you guys have been to a park that is a good one for bus's, send me a email or post it here and I'll put it on the map under members locations in the quick links

Loc
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Sawdust,

There is a couple that home bases out of Buckhorn in Kerrville that publish a campground guide called "Best Bets for Big Rigs". Ken and Ellie Hamill are Prevost owners and they personally visit each campground and provide comments about the best spaces for your big rig. We have used their book for years and have only been disappointed a couple of times. They update the book every year and add new campgrounds. It is organized by state and has a map for each state. Over on the Prevost-Stuff site, I started posting information on campgrounds that we visited on our trips, but got out of the habit. I like Ray's idea of including whether you can wash your bus on site or if there is a wash service available.

Loc

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Long before the internet was common and before there were books like the big rig book we had nothing but Woodalls to go by.

We learned to read the "code". The best guide for us was a campground that advertised paved roads and sites, 50 amp and big rigs welcome. We would avoid campgrounds that used code words like shady sites or 20/30 amp., or that did not have all sites with water ans sewer.

Today, we just phone the campground and ask if they have pull through sites for a 45 foot Prevost. I don't care if I have to back in, but having pull through sites is an indication they have planned for big long rigs and have the necessary clearances.