PDA

View Full Version : Amana Parts (latch)

aggies09
07-23-2008, 12:20 AM
I have a '97 Liberty with an Amana side by side refrigerator. As I was driving to Dallas earlier today my refrigerator door came open on a relatively good highway. I discovered that the small plastic latch at the bottom of the refrigerator door had broken. Where would I find one of these?

Jerry Winchester
07-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Is it a Liberty added part or an Amana part? The latch on the fridge in the Marathon is added after the fact. If you can get a photo, I think our old Amana is down at Birdland serving as a beer cooler, so there may be a donor part available.

aggies09
07-23-2008, 12:38 AM
It appears to be aftermarket. There is a receiver portion of the latch that mounts to the bottom of the fridge door and a counter interlocking part that mounts to the surface of the fridge where the two parts come together when closed. It is the surface mounted interlocking part that is broken. I will try to post photos later but am currently without technology.

Jerry Winchester
07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Tony,

I have to think a call to Liberty will be the quickest source of the part unless you can determine it is just some random piece of hardware that you can find in the McMaster-Carr catalog or some such place.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Tony,

That is a part you can get from Liberty. Get extras. There are two strengths. Get several of each because that latch is used on closet doors and other applications around the coach. Get both parts. The receivers are fairly reliable with the "hook" needing replacement more frequently.

Even with good latches our fridge door decided to open once so we could get red wine and ketchup spread all over our floor. After that fiasco I added velcro strips to the top of the doors and hidden behind the handles so our doors are very secure. We'll show you in Spearfish.

rfoster
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
That is definitely a Liberty Part.

Broken Latch indicates excessive use of Refrigerator Door. Mine has broken at least once a year since I have had the coach.

Larry W
07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Our Royale has latches added to the doors. If they are the same most well stocked RV Centers stock the latch. These latches do break and most often it is the male part of the latch. I have found that now some RV Centers have just the male part of the latch fo a few less Lewbucks.

tdelorme
07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
If you all will quit loading the doors up with beer cans they won't be so apt to swing open during two wheel turns. Lessons learned the hard way.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Mel,

What part of covering our floor with red wine do you not get?

Don't lump me in with the beer swilling yahoos that populate this site. I have class. I do know that red Thunderbird will stain the grout.

truk4u
07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I resent that remark! Burp....

jonnie
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Jamestown NY, beer and beef on wick! IMHP shear class.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey, Jamestown NY couldn't even lay claim to beef on wick. That was as Buffalo as wings. I do remember having a beer or two however. But usually I was a wine fancier. Ripple and Annie Boone's Farm.

BrianE
07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Tony,

This is not an elegant fix, but it works. I think the latch on the left was installed by Liberty?? It still allowed the doors to open an inch or so. The addition of a hasp (or one for each door) fixes the problem. With the addition of a lock it also keeps itinerant beer guzzlers and tortilla thiefs out of the fridge at POG rallys.

sawdust_128
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Tony,

This is not an elegant fix, but it works. I think the latch on the left was installed by Liberty?? It still allowed the doors to open an inch or so. The addition of a hasp (or one for each door) fixes the problem. With the addition of a lock it also keeps itinerant beer guzzlers and tortilla thiefs out of the fridge at POG rallys.

Yep!! Right out of the manual from the Office Of Home Brew Security!!

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I kinda like yours better Brian.

aggies09
07-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Other than the obvious facts that Red Thunderbird will stain grout and too much beer on the door will lead to problems in two wheeled turns, I did manage to find the name and specifications of the part originally questioned before the Thread Creep Monster got hold of the post.

The latches are manufactured by Southco and they come in three different weight tensions. There are 3lb., 5lb., and 10lb. push latches and they all look exactly alike. Liberty uses these latches all over the coach. They are on all cabinets, drawers, and doors, and may be hiding in other places that I haven't thought to look at yet. Armed with this information, there are several places on the internet to order the part in question ($7.50 to $12.50 each). I hope that someone else has learned something as well.

Thanks for all the input and most helpful suggestions. I have to go now, my Coors is getting a bit warm.