PDA

View Full Version : did some preventative maintenance today

wrongagain
07-21-2008, 10:52 PM
<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/idontthinksobuddy/logo.jpg</CENTER>

garyde
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Ed. Help me out here, what am I looking at?

wrongagain
07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
every mechanic should be able to identify this procedure

Larry W
07-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Positive it is a muffler bearing

garyde
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Its been a very long time since I heard that expression.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-22-2008, 07:36 AM
The reason for that repair is (as anyone can see) that the grease fitting was not installed.

Tops on my list is the failure of just about every Prevost owner to change the air in their tires.

flyu2there
07-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Jon,

It appears to me that the repair is still in progress, meaning someone is installing the new muffler bearing, not removing the old. Further, it also appears that the mechanic is gambling with an oversized bearing rather than using the recommended Timken 452-544-A1 bearing, the installer is using the A4 Timken. Also, by the appearance, the bearing has not been allowed to soak the manufacturer advised 10 day period in brine...which, of course explains the lack of a zerk fitting!!

Personally, I never change air in my tires, long ago I determined that it was much more viable to "rotate the air"....I take the air from the left front and put it in the right rear and so on. Takes a bit more time but well worth it!

The reason for that repair is (as anyone can see) that the grease fitting was not installed.

Tops on my list is the failure of just about every Prevost owner to change the air in their tires.

rfoster
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Is that the turdbulator from JDUB's plane?

merle&louise
07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
What is the proper method of disposing of the "old" air that was in the tires?

Should it be put in a hermitically sealed plastic barrel and brought to a certified disposal facility that is located in the California desert?

How much should be paid to Al Gore for the carbon footprint that the "contaminated air" has caused to the environment.

I think that I am just going to quit driving. It is causing too much damage to our ecosystem.:eek:

hhoppe
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Looks to me like a bearing off a sisse wheel from a tumbling shaft. Parts left over from a Smith Power Products Inc. overhaul.

tdelorme
07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
That job is easier if you use metric tweezers. His are standard old SAE tweezers and he is gonna screw up that new bearing. That tip I got from an old Prevost expert up in the hills of Tennessee.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Tuga,

I have a tire air recycling center and for a nominal charge I will remove and replace your air.

I remove the 21% of the content that is not nitrogen, and I replace the air that was removed with nitrogen, plus add some additional nitrogen to make up the difference.

The materials that have been removed, mostly oxygen is combined with the steel on Volunteer orange Scouts to form ferrous oxide.

merle&louise
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Today is my lucky day:D