PDA

View Full Version : Changing Standard Transmission to Automatic..

Journeyone144
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I have seen an 85 Prevost in Nova Scotia..that has a 6 speed standard transmission..Can I get an idea of how much it would cost to have it changed over to automatic..and maybe where to take it for such work..if I bought it..
Many Thanks Vivian...

Jon Wehrenberg
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Vivian,

Your question concerns me on may different levels. First, it suggests the bus has been used in commercial service so it likely has been rode hard and put away wet.

If that is the case and it has been converted it is not a professional conversion. That would mean you are buying a bus that has very little market appeal because it might lack the systems we've come to require, the worksmanship may not be up to the standards we expect, and there have likely been many compromises in its constructions since most converters have produced coaches around a shell dedicated to a conversion.

The cost to make the switch in transmissions would be over $10,000 and possibly much greater depending on the transmission used, the quality of the work and if the old transmission could be sold.

Based on what you are looking at have you considered talking to Joe C on this forum? Joe, contact Viv. At this point it seems to me that you can help each other.

Viv, Joe has a coach for sale, and I suspect he will stand behind it and help you with maintenance and repairs.

Good luck to you both.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
The price has also gotten much lower:o

Thanks for that plug Jon.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Viv,

I know Joe and he will accurately represent his coach to you. This may be the coach for you.