PDA

View Full Version : Good Buy In An Older Liberty

tdelorme
07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
If anyone is in the market for an older Liberty you might take a look at this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=150272432342

truk4u
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Ted,

I have had an experience with that dealer and would run in the other direction! That bus has been around for months, being advertised as being from TN, AL, FL, etc. It was originally in the 135K range.

I think Jon also can shed some light on this before anyone gets serious..

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-18-2008, 04:14 PM
I have not seen the coach up close and personal. Roger and I considered bidding on it when it showed up at the auction in Nashville, so maybe Roger can add to my comments. I know what we were willing to bid on it and it isn't close to the price I keep seeing. I admit we were allowing money to do some serious repairs if they were needed because nobody seems to get a warm feeling about its past.

From the pictures some things are not quite right. No big awning, but the lower arm attach points are still there.

I have seen different pictures, some with full furnishings in the LR, some with the furnishings missing. I have seen some photos with hub caps missing, and some of the same wheels with them in place.

It advertises a new generator, but in detailed pictures I have seen it looks like the generator is installed, but somebody just cut and abandoned the air lines that supplied air to the air bellows under the original generator. That is a clue to possible short cuts taken on all sorts of things that get my antenna up.

The market for older coaches with an 8V92 is clearly down since the economy has headed downhill compared to other coaches. A well maintained Liberty with over the road air is a coach I would not hesitate to recommend, but on this particular coach I would want to go over it with a fine tooth comb. This one has been around for a long time and usually that is a sign that it may have some issues, either with the price or something not readily visible in photos.

rfoster
07-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Jon: We IMO made a wise decision that day and the opening bid never reached were we would be able of participate in the bidding process.

the reason the bus hasn't sold is there have been a number of modifications (some new, some old) that would not be desirable to someone who knows a Liberty Coach or maybe even a Marathon. That same day I saw an Allegro Fiberglass 4 slide coach 58,000 miles diesel pusher bring $88000, so it wasn't because there weren't buyers there.

It did not sell that day.

I would reinforce Truks advise: Buyer Beware

Tully
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I was on that bus last September. It is based out of Nashville. I had just bought a 1995 American Dream but looked at this bus before my purchase. A Denny has this bus on his lot.

The price has gone high and low since I have traced it. Was as high as $140k and as low as it is now.

I thought the coach as is "fair condition" at best when I looked at it.

Tully Lee Garrett