PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Level - Overfill

MangoMike
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
In preparation for P2Osh (prevost to Oshkosh) I changed the oil last night in the H and overfilled to about 1/8" on the dip stick. I'm guessing 2 qts too much.

Is this going to be an issue or just let it be?

Thanks

Mike

Jerry Winchester
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
If you take the filter off and dump it out, you will probably be about right. Mine is somewhat over full right now as well, but it has been that way for 3 months and hasn't gone down much. I don't know that 2 quarts is much of a problem.

tdelorme
07-17-2008, 01:03 PM
When I had the bus over in Dallas being worked on by the independent DD guy, he had a little hissy fit about the oil being over full. Just could not believe anyone would be stupid enough to overfill. When I told him that I was the stupid one, he just smiled and shook his head. Then he says, "you might be making oil" a term I had never heard before. He explained that if an engine is getting diesel into the oil, it's called making oil and needs to be fixed. Also said overfilling an 8V92 was worse than on a series 60 but it was never a good thing to do. I got under the coach and pulled the oil pan drain plug and drained about two quarts. I also took a mid stream oil sample that I sent off to get checked. The test results were good. The test showed 1.5% diesel in the oil which is well within acceptable limits. My old engine just does not use much oil. After a hard day of Interstate driving, like 6 or 7 hundred miles, never needs more than a quart. The Cat I had in the last coach used a gallon every 1000 miles.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Ignore it. That amount is inconsequential.

Years back at a PP seminar one fellow confessed he was adding some oil to his engine from his oil reservoir and forgot about it until the tank was empty.

He guessed he was 2 gallons over full. The Detroit reps that were there told him to not worry.

dale farley
07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
The textbook reason that overfilling an engine with oil is a bad thing is that it allows the bottom of the engine to slap the oil, which in turn, creates foam. The foam consists of air bubbles and each of the bubbles creates a microscopic "dry" spot and causes increased friction in the engine. I too doubt that 2 extra quarts in either of the Prevost engines is going to make any difference or do any damage.

truk4u
07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
This is a perfect example of confusing cooking oil (Jerk Chicken Squeezins) and Shell Rotella! Just like the french fryer, fill it short and make up the difference after running a few minutes Taco Boy..:p

flyu2there
07-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Dosen't matter about dis and dat....truth be known, let it run for a bit and the excess will disappear...that's the way the damn engine was designed. Your excess oil will be gone...this is not scientific!

John

Larry W
07-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I change the engine oil on a regular basis but I wonder about the oil in the resevre tank. The same oil has been in the tank for over three years I know about. I have no way of knowing for certain how long maybe since Prevost filled the tank in 99. I have never had to add oil between changes. Should I ever add it to my engine or is it too old?

Kevin Erion
07-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I run at the 1/2 way mark and never have to add between changes. I believe that any more that that and you will just push it out the draft tube which will then make a little mess on the chassis.
Just an opinion, you know the rest of that statment!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Larry,

Like you I change my own oil. To insure the reservoir tank oil is fresh I dump it into the crankcase at every oil change and refill it.

Larry W
07-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Jon
Thanks for the reply. Guess I will also find out if the valve works as I have never opened it.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-18-2008, 07:13 AM
It should work. It has been sitting in lubricating oil for three years.

MangoMike
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Larry,

I don't know the shelf life of oil (I do for Jerk Chicken), but if you want to be safe, when you have the drain plug out just open the valve and let the tank oil flow out into the collection container.

Mike