PDA

View Full Version : stereo feed wire

wrongagain
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I am looking for a different feed for the stereo in the bus.
I am getting to much noise from other sources, such as alternator noise, florescent lights, etc.
Is there any extra wires from the factory or marathon run up to the dash direct from the batteries.
Or do I just cut in a noise filter and call it a day.
Thanks again for your help.

Darl-Wilson
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
I need the same info. My in-dash Sony am-fm-cd has so much static I can't get the search to land on a live station on AM. No problem with TVs, just the in-dash and a similar Sony in the BR.:confused:

Thanks,

Darl:cool:

garyde
07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I would check to see if you already have a noise filter, and also verify your ground is attached to a grounded wire or metal frame. You can get noise filters from Radio Shack.

jello_jeep
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
The noise isn't necessarily induced through the power feed. It can also be absorbed via the speaker wire, in which case filtering power won't help.

merle&louise
07-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I have static noise on AM stations but not on the FM stations. I also have the Sony in dash radio.

Is there a separate antenna for AM and another one for FM?

jello_jeep
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Most common setups use the same one Tuga.

I believe that Rat Shack might have an antenna filter (in line) as well.

I have static noise on AM stations but not on the FM stations. I also have the Sony in dash radio.

Is there a separate antenna for AM and another one for FM?

mike kerley
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
AM static is tough to eliminate, but you can purchase, from Radio Shack or MCM Electronics a "filter choke" that you wrap the speaker wires around. This piece of soft iron will absorb some of the RF energy that is being picked up by the wires and minimize the noise you hear. Wrap them tightly around the choke and tape them down with electrical tape and much of the computer noise and garbage RF floating around us will be dissipated.

You'll see these little knobs on some computer and electronic devices power cords and on video cables for computers/monitors. Those are filter chokes to help eliminate RF noise.

Mike K

merle&louise
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks Mike & Warren.

Jerry Winchester
07-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Tuga,

I think you will most likley have to toss that POS coach and get a really good radio and wrap some stainless around it. I hear that XL2's don't need AM noise filters.

I am sure you just want to tune in the LSU post game radio show, so just buck up and buy some season tickets so you can see the action first hand....

merle&louise
07-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Jerry,

When Prevost starts making XL IIs with ss that doesn't delaminate and windows that don't explode I may consider one.:D And the prices will have to come down about $200K for a slide coach.:)

Why don't you and Rae come to one of the LSU games and tailgate with us. We have so much fun it is almost sinful. We are going to the Auburn game this year in Alabama; it should be a good one. Karen's brother Donald & his wife are coming with us. He cooks so much food we could feed an army: fried fish, jambalaya, fried shrimp, raw oysters, (Jon you are welcome to come also) boudoin balls, crawfish etoufee'. It like being with Emeril on crack! :eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Tuga,

Thanks for setting JDUB straight on coaches assembled with Gorilla Glue. The rate things are going he will be trading for your coach and kicking in a little to boot.

We are not huge football fans, but we do eat. Tell me some dates and more about that menu.

merle&louise
07-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Jon & anyone else who would like to attend,

The LSU / Auburn game is September 20, 2008 in Auburn, AL. We will be arriving Friday midday, and I wish that I could tell you in advance specifically where we will be parking. The first guy in the group usually saves space for the rest of the crew. Parking is in a large open grass field close to the stadium. It is dry camping at its finest.

Like I said the menu will consist of fried fish, shrimp, alligator, raw oysters, fried shrimp wrapped in bacon, jambalya, and if it is cold (which I doubt) outside some file' gumbo. Get ready to party cajun style; all day - all night - and all day the next day (unless we lose, then we just go home and sulk).

Try to make it - it's a lot of fun:D

Jon Wehrenberg
07-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Sorry Tuga, but we have to pass on that one. We will be just returning from Spearfish.