PDA

View Full Version : AC recharging...

dalej
06-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I never seem to remember when I recharge the air conditioning do you hold the can of 134A upright or upside down? I put in 10 cans upside down and got to thinking...is this right. So thought I had better ask.

I have a slow leak so I add 134A each year around this time, going to St Louis for a wedding July 1st and Lake of the Ozarks for the 4th.

Thanks guys

Dale

Just Plain Jeff
06-04-2006, 06:26 PM
You probably did exactly the right thing.

Most of the pros start out with the can right side up, then roll it around a bit, winding up..upside down as the refrigerant is heavier than the propellant.

You know you are getting close when the can is too cold to hold!

Assuming the compressor is running and the supply side valve is open.

Good man.

dalej
06-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Is recharging the cruise air's the same as the bus air? I was thinking I would check them before I need them. Didn't know if 134A was used in them or what exactly. Do any of you guys do this yourself? I really like videos if anyone has one:)

Dale

Just Plain Jeff
06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
No videos (sigh).

The Cruise Airs should be labelled. Depending on the year of the installation, they may be R-22.

They usually have the sight glass and the operation is the same. You have to be especially careful with C/A's NOT to overcharge them.

mike kerley
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
All Cruise Airs I'm aware of use R-22. You'll have a little trouble buying that if your not a certified AC tech.. Use the sight glass and with these units, I'd always charge vapor (can right side up) to keep from destroying the compressor. You'll have a big can anyway, they don't sell R-22 (at least that I'm aware of) in small cans.

If you don't have hoses and manifold set and the freon, best to let a local technician do this job as it wont be cheap. You can probably get all three CA topped off for what a can of freon would cost you (if you could buy it).

Good luck and "keep your cool".

Just Plain Jeff
06-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Apparently the EPA doesn't like R-22 either. Check out the following link for more information on alternatives:
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phaseout/22phaseout.html

In addition to the above, there is of course www.r-22.com for the diehard. There you can get whatever you need. I found another source, however it was in Albania.

Reread Mike's post. What he said.

mike kerley
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
On the 134 for your over the road air, I buy my can at Sams Club for $139.00 for a 30 lb can. As my system was coverted, the hoses "seep" the freon and I need to recharge about every 60 to 90 days depending on use and temperature. The 30lb can works well for me. Hell on the ozone layer!

Guess I better check the prices, looks like all refridgerants are going up in price. Need a bigger storage unit so I can stockpile this stuff!