PDA

View Full Version : Travel Advise

rfoster
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
We are planning on leaving early for Spearfish and hopefully take in a few scenic spots and play tourist. Glacier NP is on the list and maybe Yellowstone. Does anyone have a must see list if I can pull this off? Probably leave Tn on 9/3 take 3 days to Yellowstone and then up to Glacier?

Or if anyone has watched the Bucket list, give me your must see, do.

If would be an interesting thread to have the "The Bucket List" (things you gotta see / do before you kick the bucket).

For Example: Alburquerque Ballon Festival. Cold but quite the spectacle to see 700 plus ballons fly.

Loc
07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Roger,

I hope that you and Micki are well. We just returned from Glacier, Yellowstone and the Black Hills of SD. I will make a few suggestions.

Come into Yellowstone through western Nebraska and make stops at

1) Scottsbluff National Monument

2) then hit Fort Laramie National Historic Site (one of the largest forts that was on the Oregon, California and Mormon Trails)

3) Guernsey, WY (Oregon Trail wagon ruts and Register Cliff). You don't have to unhook, but it is easier and the road to the ruts is about 2 miles of dirt. There are areas at both sites that are large enough to turn the bus and toad around without issue. Then head up through Casper and over to Yellowstone via I-25, US 26 and US 287. This drive starts to get interesting from a scenic perspective about Dubois, WY.

4) See Grand Teton National Park on the way to Yellowstone National Park

A great place to stay in Yellowstone is Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone, MT

5) From Yellowstone take US 287 to I-90 in Montana. Just after Deer Lodge take US 12 to MT 141 to MT 200 to US to MT 83 to MT 35 to MT 206 for the drive to Glacier. It is a much nicer drive than I-90 to Missoula and US 93 to Kalispel. This is one of our favorite drives especially MT 141 and MT 200 with the rolling valleys with mountains on either side.

6) At Glacier Going to the Sun Highway will be open and is a great drive. A nice place to stay in Glacier is North American RV Park which is about 5 miles from the Park entrance. We really enjoyed the helicopter tour of the NP with Glacier Helicopter Tours (Minuteman Aviation located at11950 Hwy 2 East in West Glacier 800-879-9310).

7) On the way to Spearfish stop by Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument just off of I-90 in Garryowen, MT

8) and then go to Devils Tower National Monument in Wyoming which is a 40 minute drive north of I-90 just before the SD border.

Probably more than you wanted, but you asked.

Loc

Jerry Winchester
07-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Nice job Beagle Boy. Makes me want to load up and do that loop myself.

Let's see, you made that trip in about 5 days, so was it pretty much like Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon? I figured the reason you didn't post any photos of it was because they were all blurry from the constant motion......

Oh, before you post your reply, "Bite me".

rfoster
07-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow Loc, now that is what I"m talking about.

It is going to take me the rest of the day to plot that out much less make enough Lew bucks to buy diesel.

That is as good as Jon telling me how to change my air bags. I like it.

Now as your esteemed Texas neighbor ask - how long should it take?

Loc
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Fast Roger,

As your names implies it should be fast. We did our trip from Houston to the Black Hills to Glacier to Yellowstone and back in 11 days (4700 miles). This was a lot of driving on the front end and the back end with a couple of days each in Glacier, Yellowstone and the Black Hills. With the M&M's whose attention span is even shorter than JDUB's (if that's possible), a couple of days was enough to hit the all the highlights and see a lot of wildlife. We have been to each spot at least once before. Anything longer and the boys would have complained even more. If I could get away longer from work we would do it differently, but a week and a half is pushing it. The 20-year plan (with our stock price that may be the 35 year plan) calls for a different approach.

The drive from Western Nebraska (Sidney) to West Yellowstone is a very full day with stops (5 am to 9 pm). It would be better to break it up. The drive from Yellowstone to Glacier took about 7.5 hours (400 miles +) with a fuel stop in Butte and a little road construction on US 287.

Loc

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Nice job Beagle Boy. Makes me want to load up and do that loop myself.

Let's see, you made that trip in about 5 days, so was it pretty much like Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon? I figured the reason you didn't post any photos of it was because they were all blurry from the constant motion......

Oh, before you post your reply, "Bite me".

Jer, you are TOO FUNNY :D :D :D

Gary S.