PDA

View Full Version : Help Please !....

Tully
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
My coach is in Missouri and the generator will not turn off. It is ideling fast and slow. Tried from inside panel to shut down. Tried from motor.

Any help?

Tully Lee Garrett

Tully
07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
The Generator Has Been Running Non-stop Since Last Wed. No Shore Power At Music Venue.

If This Info Is Of Any Help?

If Genny Cannnot Be Turned Of At Engine Main Switch Or Switch In Bus, What Of Options Do We Have To Shut Genny Down?

Tully

I Am Not At Bus. I Am In Illinois. My Friend Was Driving Bus Back.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Sounds like it is the throttle linkage and or the electric fuel solenoid.

To shut it off you have to stop the fuel. The solenoid normally would do this.

It could be a bad solenoid or it could be throttle linkage has fallen apart and when the solenoid engages it has nothing to pull on.

If you can safely get at one of the fuel lines. There are 2 one is supply one is return. I would clamp it off to shut it down so I could investigate further.

Kevin Erion
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Find the fuel solenoid on the side of the motor and push or pull it shut. There are a few wires going to it and I would first try disconnecting the wires to see if that would shut it off, if not you will have to force it.

dale farley
07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree with Joe, I would first try to crimp one of the rubber fuel lines if possible. I would next try to disconnect a wire from the fuel pump to stop the fuel.

Tully
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
The genny was high and low ideling. He put a coat hanger on the linkage which put rpms at about mid idle. Will this be ok to do till he gets coach home? He is about 10 hours out.

Tully

Joe Cannarozzi
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
The random RPS's leads me to think the linkage has fallen apart and if so that would cause his other symptoms, maybe. I do not recall how yours is installed. Ours is stuffed in there butt first and all you can see is pulleys when running and is difficult to acess this area when running. Yours may be longways and if so may be able to see what is wrong much easier.

The first thing I would have done is shut down the power to the house so you do not damage your "stuff" with potentially too much current.

As for your temporary fix I would not do that but look at your voltage meter and get it to 120volts ideally. RPM's effect voltage level. I would also try to limit random usage of a/c current. If you HAVE to run roof a/c shut 1 of the 3 down and run the other 2 thermostats turned all the way up so they do not cycle on and off. Then use the fan speeds to try to control cabin temps. sufficiently. That will help keep voltage constant without the governor.

Your propane fridge eliminates that possible issue. You also have CC OTR A/C right? If the bus is on its way home and this is the case I would shut the gen. down you do not need it?????????????????

Tully
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
By the way, thanks so much for the fast replies. The $100 a year for this membership is priceless.

I owe so much to Joe C. I will take care of you when I get home.

Tully

Tully
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
I am at a big disadvantage due to not being on the coach.

They are now just past St. Louis, about 4 1/2 hours out

Says the genny runs for 15-20 minutes. shuts down and about a minute latter kicks back on by iteself?

still cannot turn off manually.

will get it to the shop when they pull in. have a diesel mech. who will look at to at least get the genny off.

Does this addtional info help at all? Turning off and on by iteself?

Tully

mike kerley
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd trip the breakers on the output (at the generator) first off. Then start lifting wires to the fuel pump or fuel solinoid. IF you can get to them....

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Could it be the Generator is Set to Auto Start, and the House Batteries are shot ?

I had to replace my house batteries and equalizers, and the first clue, WAS THE Generator continued to run to charge up the house systems?

Just a thought. :confused:

Gary S.

nrhareiner
07-15-2008, 07:25 AM
I agree with Gary. This could be the problem if the coach has an auto start feature for the gen set. I do not know that year of that converter well enough to remember if that feature is present.

If not then the solenoid for the fuel is the probable problem.

Tully
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM
My buddy checked the battery out and says it it shot. So, this may be the culprit. Going to put in a new battery and update you.

Thanks so much for all the input.

This site is just the best.

Tully Lee Garrett

Tully
07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Just put in a new battery. Everything is working perfect.

Thanks,

Tully Lee Garrett

Joe Cannarozzi
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Lets see where to begin.

I might be incorrect but I do not remember that bus having auto start.

Does it or not.

Either way:
If it does and if their is bad house batteries, and even just one bad one, the thing would start up and run on auto start for a lot longer than 20 minutes and then shut down. It would run for a couple of hours before shutting off, right??????????????? It takes a few hours to get batteries to float. Also if you are going down the road as they were you are getting charge off the alternator to the house, right??????????

Yes one bad cell in one house battery will eventually trigger the autostart if on but that is not what you described, first they could not get any control and that could happen if one had an autostart on and was unaware BUT someone explain the surging and then on and off every 20 min???????????.

If the miracle fix was to replace the generator battery and it solved all 3 problems then I do not understand?

How was the generator restarting itself with a bad battery if the generator battery is what was replaced???????

And I am also wondering how the rpm surging to the point that a coat hanger was installed was also cured by replacing 1 battery regardless of witch one it was.

Thank you in advance.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
You mean I was right ? :) No way ! What did I win ? I should have won something ? :(

Still can't believe I might have been right?

I thought I was wrong once, but I was only mistaken. :D

Gary S.